Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 AM

34 posts, read 43,986 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I have a few things I'd like to ask.
FIrst off I'm wanting to buy a house somewhere in SD, my wife and I have lived in SD before we love everything about SD, but at that time we lived off of Friars Rd near the YMCA/ Fashion Valley area no kids at the time but loved the area . now we have a daughter that just turned 1 and so now I'm looking at things from a different perspective. I really want her in a good school (what parent doesn't I know) and I was wondering if the fellow parents feel that greatschools.org is a reliable resource? Like I've always heard that the point loma high school was good and the comments on the website I felt were were only so so. As far as where I want to buy that's pretty much anywhere the school is good, if that means alpine so be it i loved the area i used to be in but I'm unsure of the schools. If there are aspects I'm over looking please let me know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:38 AM

86 posts, read 153,130 times
Schools in Carmel Valley are GREAT - generally you can't go wrong with schools within the Poway Unified School District. Having said that, Carmel Valley is expensive - you did not mention your budget so not sure if you're looking for homes within the $700K range or north of $1M+.

Additionally, you can also look into schools in Carlsbad and San Marcos which are also very good. San Marcos will give you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of buying a house. Most of the nicer parts of Carlsbad rivals Carmel Valley property prices. It all depends on where you want to live and how much you're willing to shell out for a house.

Check out the 2012 Distinguished Elementary Schools in the State of California report and San Marcos Unified has 3 on the list.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,370,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2SD View Post
Schools in Carmel Valley are GREAT - generally you can't go wrong with schools within the Poway Unified School District. Having said that, Carmel Valley is expensive - you did not mention your budget so not sure if you're looking for homes within the $700K range or north of $1M+.

Additionally, you can also look into schools in Carlsbad and San Marcos which are also very good. San Marcos will give you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of buying a house. Most of the nicer parts of Carlsbad rivals Carmel Valley property prices. It all depends on where you want to live and how much you're willing to shell out for a house.

Check out the 2012 Distinguished Elementary Schools in the State of California report and San Marcos Unified has 3 on the list.

I agree with AZ2SD's advice. I think the most important question to first ask yourself is what is your maximum housing budget? That will have a HUGE impact on where you can afford to live. Because much is a moot point if you can't afford the housing in the area in any given area.

I think Greatschools.org helps and you can take the input but it seems like it can be manipulated by parents so I would take much of what they say with a grain of salt. I'd rather look at the Distinguished Schools list of California. I think that will be much more accurate. Our daughter's school is on that Distinguished list and I find it spot on target! We're really happy with her school. It's excellent.

I'd say take a good look first on what you can afford and then go from there.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM

6,419 posts, read 11,572,225 times
[quote=AZ2SD;30219946]Schools in Carmel Valley are GREAT - generally you can't go wrong with schools within the Poway Unified School District. Having said that, Carmel Valley is expensive - you did not mention your budget so not sure if you're looking for homes within the $700K range or north of $1M+.

Carmel Valley is a bit expensive, but it's not the only area within the Poway USD: PUSD Boundary Maps

Old 06-27-2013, 01:54 PM

[quote=oddstray;30221493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2SD View Post

Carmel Valley is a bit expensive, but it's not the only area within the Poway USD: PUSD Boundary Maps
Actually Carmel Valley isn't in the PUSD. They are in the San Dieguito Union (for middle school and high school) and I believe the elementary schools are part of Solana Beach District and the others Del Mar Union. But absolutely schools in Carmel Valley and Del Mar as well as PUSD are typically very solid.

We have friends that send their kids to all these schools and are quite pleased with the schools and the School Districts in this area.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM

86 posts, read 153,130 times
[quote=earlyretirement;30222329]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

Actually Carmel Valley isn't in the PUSD. They are in the San Dieguito Union (for middle school and high school) and I believe the elementary schools are part of Solana Beach District and the others Del Mar Union. But absolutely schools in Carmel Valley and Del Mar as well as PUSD are typically very solid.

We have friends that send their kids to all these schools and are quite pleased with the schools and the School Districts in this area.
Good point ER...CV is outside of the PUSD system, but like you said have VERY good schools.
I stand corrected!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:24 PM

[quote=AZ2SD;30222600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post

Good point ER...CV is outside of the PUSD system, but like you said have VERY good schools.
I stand corrected!
Sure, NO worries at all. I'd be happy to send my kids to ANY of these school districts. They are all really solid. Unfortunately homes in these areas are all relatively expensive.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM

50,158 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Choice!

Old 06-28-2013, 05:30 AM

Thanks everyone for your insight. I looked at the Distinguished School list, now I have a question and please don't take offence if you live in the area, one of the schools is this Kearny International Business High School, I looked it up on Greatschools.org as well it says its a 9. Now my question is does that sound right? I mean I know there is military housing just to the south of the school, but the just north of it the area feels kind of...meh. I used to shop in Carnival on Ashford so I've been through that area many times and it just seems like a random spot for such a high rated school? thanks!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 AM

Just like to add to my above post real quick, I just got a chance to jump on the Kearny High website, and I'm slightly confused, having gone to high school in Milwaukee, WI and graduated some time ago I'm not sure I grasp the concept of this school. its supposed 4 different schools in one? Is this common?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego