Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,030 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone (awesome forum by the way!)

I'll be relocating to your fair city from Cleveland, the north coast of the rust belt, come the mid of this month. I've had my eyes peeled for places to live, but I've had some difficulty. I'm torn on finding a place close to my new job (in La Jolla), but within an eclectic neighborhood catering to someone in their late 20's. I'm a big fan of diversity (I've lived in the Chinatown of my city before). I have lived in and worked in some fairly urban places, so I'm not terrified of the prospect of living somewhere like that again.

Any suggestions? Are there specific apartment search engines I should check out, or complexes that you might advise? I'm leaning towards not having a roommate, but if it will be prohibitively expensive I'm fine with the idea. My range is $800/mo max. As always, less than that is preferred.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 04:53 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
With an $800/mo max, La Jolla is doable only with roommate(s). It may take 2 rather than just 1 roommate.

However, commuting into La Jolla can be a bear if you are working in downtown La Jolla. If you are working at the UCSD campus things are better. If you are working at the hospital by the UCSD campus things are better still. If you are working at the hospital you may be able to take the shuttle from Hillcrest to La Jolla. Then you could live in Hillcrest which is more along the lines of the type of neighborhood you want, (but still outside your price range).

Other neighborhoods you would like are North Park, South Park, Bankers Hill (aka Park West), University Heights, Normal Heights, Kensington, Golden Hill. However, it will be difficult to find a one bedroom apartment in these neighborhoods within your price range.

I really think you need to bump up your budget to $1000 to really have choices other than the dumpiest dumps in the urban neighborhoods, or ok apartments in the truly bad neighborhoods (none of which I have mentioned here). These neighborhoods may have a smattering of apartments in the $700s, but very, very few. And these apartments may lack amenities like A/C, dishwasher, parking, laundry room.

Most costs in San Diego are not too far from the national averages +/- 10%, except housing. Housing is expensive. Not quite New York City/San Francisco expensive, but certainly more than Cleveland.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Not everyone needs a dishwasher or A/C. Parking is a necessity, and I don't consider a laundry room a necessity. The places that I've lived in with a laundry room never have enough machines, so I ended up going to the Laundromat anyway, and I've grown to prefer it.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:57 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Not everyone needs a dishwasher or A/C. Parking is a necessity, and I don't consider a laundry room a necessity. The places that I've lived in with a laundry room never have enough machines, so I ended up going to the Laundromat anyway, and I've grown to prefer it.
I agree with that. It's nice to have your own washer/dryer, but a laundry room isn't all that impressive when you consider many of these places have 10-20 year old machines and half the time they wind up broken down and never get fixed.

I lived in one place in the East village that had 2 washers and 2 dryers for the entire complex. Albiet it was only a 3 story building and small, but still. And the 1 dryer was broke the entire 8 months I lived or visited there. There was another place up in Mission Hill that had 4 washers, 4 dryers, and the washers all were half broken and you'd have to bang on the top to get it to work or place some brick or heavy books to hold it down so it would run. Another time one of the back hoses busted and flooded out the room. And finally like 4 months in, the one washer broke for good and was never fixed in the 6+ months after that I lived there.

Most of the time, even if things aren't broken, you wind up finding a laundry mat close by anyway because there are limited machines, certain hours you can't wash, and other people always seem to never work or are using it when you need to use it. And that doesn't say anything about some places where thieves seem to live. I've never had that issue, but I know a few people who wound up with stolen items.

Now the thing you might want to look at is finding a laundry mat close by. If you aren't close to one, then it'll become a pain in the neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego