Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 PM

21 posts, read 75,210 times

Advertisements

My husband was recently transferred to work in Oceanside. We want to buy a house in either Oceanside or Vista. What is the best city to live in? We have a 9 week old baby boy and would like to buy a house in a safe place with good schools. We also thought of maybe buying a home in Temecula and my husband would commute from Oceanside to Temecula. We have never lived in North County and don't know the area at all. We have heard some not so good things about living in Oceanside and Vista and I wanted some advice from people who know the area as we are clueless about it. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 AM

111 posts, read 327,999 times
If it were me, I would buy in Temecula. Nicer area, better schools. Temecula has more newly built areas, a lot of Oceanside and Vista is not so attractive but that depends on your price range. You will get more for your money in Temecula the only downside is the drive which is why I do not live there.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 AM

Thanks for your advice! Our price range is around $375k. I think Temecula would be a good place to raise a family as well but I am scared about leaving everything I know in San Diego behind. I also don't want my husband to be away from his baby son for so long because of his long commute. Living in Oceanside or Vista would be ideal because it's close to his work but I am not sure if those places are good safe places to raise a family.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
The commute could be awful. People who like Oceanside enjoy a culturally diverse area and close to the ocean. The pier is always fun and with a baby the ocean is a real nice place to spend days. Crime may be a little higher statistically but I have family there for many years and they have not had any issues. If you are concerned, get a large dog (seriously).

Temecula for my money is a suburban swamp (reminds me of Phx) Tourists clog major roads, it's hot and dusty and just because you can get everything does not mean it's fun. As your baby grows you can judge then if the schools will be fine in Oceanside...or not. Save money live by the beach is my advice.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Amount of house for your money - advantage Temecula

Commute - huge advantage Oceanside/Vista
Weather - huge advantage Oceanside/Vista
Walkability - advantage Oceanside/Vista
etc.

There are pockets of not-so-good in Oceanside and in Vista. If you stay away from them, you should have no worries about crime.

I don't know enough to comment about schools in any of these areas.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the advice! We are going to look at houses in Oceanside and Vista. Is North Valley in Oceanside a bad area?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM

5 posts, read 21,860 times
Have you considered San Marcos? Just a bit further east than Vista. We live there with our son and are very happy with the neighborhood and school.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:41 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas'smommy View Post
Thanks for the advice! We are going to look at houses in Oceanside and Vista. Is North Valley in Oceanside a bad area?
I recommend you judge safety by condition of the neighborhood, vehicles in disrepair and overall "gut feel". That said a visit to the local police station might be helpful or as you are driving ask people who you see. The issue in all areas is crime of opportunity. People and their homes that appear vulnerable are frequently victims.

I don't have any problems with Oceanside. Be aware that the hospital Tri City has a variable reputation in Vista. If you have choices in health care choose Scripps which is closest to those cities in Encinitas. Health care in Temecula is adequate. The closer to San Diego the better. Childrens Hospital in San Diego is the best for kids.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
My family has lived in both the shadowridge area of Vista and now currently live in Ocean Hills. They have enjoyed living in both areas and have not had any concerns about safety or crime fwiw

Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Default san marcos, plus check school district boundaries plus check Charter schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbik View Post
Have you considered San Marcos? Just a bit further east than Vista. We live there with our son and are very happy with the neighborhood and school.
I was going to make the same suggestion! San Elijo Hills is in fact an award winning school district, I believe. I would look at San Marcos as well, over Vista or Oceanside.

Although, check the boundaries for oceanside and carlsbad, as far as school districts-sometimes they are funky enough to land you in a better district than you would have thought [ie, some of encinitas is in rancho santa fe/san dieguito school district; mailing address is encinitas]....I don't know O-side or Carlsbad enough to say if this is true, but I would check it out if I were the OP.

Also, I believe some of Escondido even lands in the San Elijo school district (i'm not sure the name of the district-it's in san elijo hills-google it!). Again, check district boundaries for the cities surrounding Oceanside and Vista.

Check greatschools dot com for schools reviews....
And:
Vista has numerous charter schools-free public schools that are state funded rather than district funded, including a newly opening Montessori k-8. Vista's charter schools are diverse in type. Google for a list of them. Charter schools are open to anyone residing in CA state; so if you live in o-side, you can attend a charter in san marcos or vista, for example.

Last edited by lrmsd; 07-17-2013 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego