Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:56 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times

Advertisements

A lot of people want to work at Comic-Con thinking it is a backdoor way to getting into the convention but truthfully I hear those people really have to work their butts off so they don't get to really enjoy and experience Comic-Con and all the attractions except on their lunch break or something. It's kind of like working on a cruise ship where you're working 12 hour shifts and are always super busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 02:59 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
If you can take the trolley.
Yeah, parking is going to be impossible to get at any price unless you're a VIP who gets one of the few reserved spots. Even the trolley is usually jam packed with hundreds of thousands of people all trying to use it at the same time so it kind of turns into a mini version of the Tokyo subway with the trolley safety officers trying to push the last person in just so they can close the car door.

I've heard of people who park in Balboa Park and bike the eight or so miles downtown just because it's the only way to find parking. On the upside if you have a condo downtown with a parking spot then this is a lucrative opportunity to make a few hundred bucks over the four days of the convention. Some people, with spots near the convention center are renting their parking spot for $200 per day for all four days so that's an extra $800 made in just four days.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
A lot of people want to work at Comic-Con thinking it is a backdoor way to getting into the convention but truthfully I hear those people really have to work their butts off so they don't get to really enjoy and experience Comic-Con and all the attractions except on their lunch break or something. It's kind of like working on a cruise ship where you're working 12 hour shifts and are always super busy.
I wasn't interested in getting into the convention, that stuff doesn't interest me at all. I was only interested in the money. One position paid $11.59 per hour, the other paid $13.99 per hour. I've worked security there before, but my company doesn't have any of the contract anymore, and before they lost it, they lowered the pay, so that it wasn't worth working there for them.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:43 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Yeah, parking is going to be impossible to get at any price unless you're a VIP who gets one of the few reserved spots. Even the trolley is usually jam packed with hundreds of thousands of people all trying to use it at the same time so it kind of turns into a mini version of the Tokyo subway with the trolley safety officers trying to push the last person in just so they can close the car door.

I've heard of people who park in Balboa Park and bike the eight or so miles downtown just because it's the only way to find parking. On the upside if you have a condo downtown with a parking spot then this is a lucrative opportunity to make a few hundred bucks over the four days of the convention. Some people, with spots near the convention center are renting their parking spot for $200 per day for all four days so that's an extra $800 made in just four days.
I was curious, what about those self-park daily places? Do they jack up the rates during comic con or do they keep their daily prices the same? I was surprised during the fireworks that a bunch of lots had parking still available. I thought they would have been all full but we didn't have any problems parking that night.

I was always curious if those self-park places jack up the prices during Comic-Con?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I wasn't interested in getting into the convention, that stuff doesn't interest me at all. I was only interested in the money. One position paid $11.59 per hour, the other paid $13.99 per hour. I've worked security there before, but my company doesn't have any of the contract anymore, and before they lost it, they lowered the pay, so that it wasn't worth working there for them.
Yeah, I've never had any interest in going there for this. I figured it was more of a freaks and geeks type thing? I guess maybe once the kids are older they might want to see it. LOL.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Comic-Con has actually outgrown the convention center so now they have satelite things set up all around downtown with some lectures/talks/interviews with authors taking place even in hotel lobbies/dinning rooms.
Quote:
I've heard of people who park in Balboa Park and bike the eight or so miles downtown just because it's the only way to find parking.
Wanted to add that I had a conversation with some people who are tightly hooked into Comi-con...

The statements they made validate everything T4Yself says above. There is a lot that now goes on outside of the convention center itself. A lot of businesses now have their own special parties in other venues - kind of like Oscar After Parties. A lot of the Geek & Freak A-Listers get invited to these other parties, and they actually show up.

Also suggested regarding how to park for this event was to go to Balboa Park, Navy Hospital parking lot, take the foot bridge over to City College and then walk the rest of the way to the convention area.

Folks, there is no doubt about it. San Diego Comi-con is an international event of such renown, that we should never, EVER, let it get moved from here - ever!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post

Folks, there is no doubt about it. San Diego Comi-con is an international event of such renown, that we should never, EVER, let it get moved from here - ever!
I totally agree with you!

How Much Does Comic-Con Make For San Diego? | Celebrity Net Worth

Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
$163M!

Wow!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Parking in all of the lots are jacked up to around $25 per day. And they get it.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
$163M!

Wow!
Yeah, I previously heard it was lower but I just saw that a few days ago. I can believe it. One of my friends that flies in for it told me the amount of money he blows in a weekend! Insane. Not just on hotels and restaurants but on toys and other stuff. Man...who knew?!

I think it's GREAT for the city and all business owners that benefit from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Parking in all of the lots are jacked up to around $25 per day. And they get it.

Thanks moved. I was always curious. Ah ok....yeah I'd think they can easily get it. I guess there is no stopping someone from seeing The Incredible Hulk and other comic book characters in real life. LOL.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
They have free parking at the stadium. You can take the trolley from there to the convention center. You can also park at Hazard Center in Mission Valley for free. The trolley is directly across the street. Hazard Center is the tallest office building in Mission Valley. You can't miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego