Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,440 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to move from NYC to San Diego in the next year. I've just about had it with this city and long for some sunshine and laid back people (San Diego people ARE laid back right? Or is that just a rumor? )

Anyway, coming from NYC where "the rent is too damn high!" when I see beautiful one bedroom apartments with pools and fitness centers in the complex, washer/dryer in the unit, for around the same price as I'm paying for my studio with none of those features, I have to wonder if it's too good to be true. I know NYC rent is outrageous, but San Diego is a city with lots to offer as well. Is NYC really THAT much more expensive??

Does $1800 for a one bedroom with a pool, fitness center, etc. sound about right? Unfortunately I do not remember where I saw it...I did a very brief google search and that was the general consensus. I don't really know much about the areas either. What is the rent average for the most desirable locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:28 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,065,789 times
You can rent what you mentioned, for MUCH less than $1800, even in upscale areas in SD. You can also pay $1800. Yes, it's true.
Example: In Carmel Valley/Del Mar, by the coast, you can rent one bedrooms with amenities as you mentioned, for $1300 or less. Depends on the age of the complex and the exact location. 2 bedrooms are often less than 1800, as well.
Complexes with amenities is the 'SD/so cal way'. Retirement living starts early here-It's a lifestyle.(:

As far as rentals, the SD market is definitely much less than places where space is a premium: NYC, LA, SFO
SD is spread out and geographically fairly large. The rental market has typically been lower, although in the last decade plus, it too has risen. It's still pretty reasonable for apartments and condos. Keep in mind: While SD has lower rental costs, they typically come with MUCH lower salaries. Do a forum search for 'sunshine tax' here. Wages have been historically lower than cost of living should allow for.

Yes, SD is very laid back compared to NYC, though is less laid back than it used to be-with growth and traffic effects.
SD does not have the same cosmopolitan vibrancy and offerings as NYC. Though LA is a short, less than 2 hours, drive away, if you crave more resources.
Good luck to you; there are many threads on this forum discussing SD neighborhoods, too, based on your criteria/needs.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM

686 posts, read 1,136,539 times
Yes, rents are much more reasonable than NYC and you can get many more amenities. However, the job market is much, much more limited than NYC in pretty much every field and wages are much lower. In addition, you will more likely than not, need a car to get to work, so factor in insurance, payment, maintenance and gas. Even considering the NYC city income tax, California income taxes are substantially higher.

If you work from home, and already have a car, then what the heck are you doing in NYC? Get out there

Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,025,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splishsplash View Post
I'm hoping to move from NYC to San Diego in the next year. I've just about had it with this city and long for some sunshine and laid back people (San Diego people ARE laid back right? Or is that just a rumor? )

Anyway, coming from NYC where "the rent is too damn high!" when I see beautiful one bedroom apartments with pools and fitness centers in the complex, washer/dryer in the unit, for around the same price as I'm paying for my studio with none of those features, I have to wonder if it's too good to be true. I know NYC rent is outrageous, but San Diego is a city with lots to offer as well. Is NYC really THAT much more expensive??

Does $1800 for a one bedroom with a pool, fitness center, etc. sound about right? Unfortunately I do not remember where I saw it...I did a very brief google search and that was the general consensus. I don't really know much about the areas either. What is the rent average for the most desirable locations?

Only someone from NYC would think that our rents are cheap. Everyone else complains about how expensive it is here!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,376,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
Yes, rents are much more reasonable than NYC and you can get many more amenities. However, the job market is much, much more limited than NYC in pretty much every field and wages are much lower. In addition, you will more likely than not, need a car to get to work, so factor in insurance, payment, maintenance and gas. Even considering the NYC city income tax, California income taxes are substantially higher.

If you work from home, and already have a car, then what the heck are you doing in NYC? Get out there
Oh absolutely true. I remember many years ago I got a job offer to work in NYC. The money was insane. But then I looked at what a really posh rental that I'd want on the Upper East Side cost. Long story short.... I decided not to move there. LOL.

Fortunately for you, you're coming from an expensive area so rents here will seem cheap to you. Not so for many other people around the country.

All great advice on the thread already about salaries being less. If you're coming with a guaranteed job, you will have a GREAT lifestyle here in San Diego. Yes, by and large the people here are VERY laid back and cool.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:42 PM

9,809 posts, read 11,518,385 times
Like some else said above,"the transit system for San Diego sucks",unless you work and live near the trolley or bus lines.Although the transit system in San Deigo has come along,we are still Light years away Compared to NYC.I think to enjoy San Diego fully you must own a car.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,376,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Like some else said above,"the transit system for San Diego sucks",unless you work and live near the trolley or bus lines.Although the transit system in San Deigo has come along,we are still Light years away Compared to NYC.I think to enjoy San Diego fully you must own a car.
Totally agree. This is definitely a must have car city for the most part. Sure there are exceptions to that rule but I think to really get the most out of San Diego you gotta have a car. Even if you live close to work, things are so spread out here.

Whereas in NYC, no way I'd even want a car there.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:09 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,266,724 times
We pay $1800 for a two bed two bath in Mission Valley, washer/dryer in the apt with a fitness center. The area is nice, no problems, close to everything. It's pretty nice here for an apt.

The one bedrooms here are $1565.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,572,195 times
Do the move. I've lived in Manhattan, and Queens. Liked working there, hated living there. The constant view of concrete and buildings, it really got to me after a while. People talk about great "views" in NYC apartments and penthouses -- in my opinion the views sucked. Who wants to stare at buildings and bridge traffic? Hated it, hated elevators 24/7, hated humping overpriced groceries and bad tasting produce, even from the most expensive boutiques NYC has to offer. Miles of concrete which retained stifling heat; summers sucked badly.

Constant noise 24/7; doomed if you lived next to, above, or below (a) people with kids, (b) smokers, (c) drug or drink abusers. The only reprieve I recall was the possibility of no police or ambulance sirens early Sunday morning. (Loved the streets early Sunday morning, empty, peaceful, nice without all the traffic and exhaust fumes.). No personal space. People in your face every second of the day. Subway? Yeah it worked, but compared to Europe, or even Washington D.C.'s Metro, Manhattan's subway system sucks. Platforms were a blast furnace from May through October, most of the lines jammed to the gills with annoying people, thank god I took the R-line with the bankers down to Whitehall, by then it had thinned out. Tell me, have they yet finished the Second Avenue Subway construction project? Holy hell did the traffic jams and people barriers make the entire area suck terribly.

I now reside in San Diego. This place has many problems. But I assure you, life can be vastly superior in San Diego compared with Manhattan. Your cost of living and expenses will be much lower, in every single category: housing, energy, utilities, food, insurance, even transportation if you plan ahead for your San Diego commute. You will have more space. More peace and more quiet if you choose. The ability to go out for a walk, run, or ride without having to dodge tens of thousands of people in the streets, or hundreds of taxis. If you like fresh fruit, vegetables, and meats, the San Diego farmer's markets are better than anything Manhattan has to offer. (I hasten to add, however, Manhattan eateries and restaurants are vastly superior to San Diego.)

Knowing what I know, and lived, this is an easy call if you have your work/career situation squared away. San Diego by a mile.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM

24 posts, read 33,733 times
Also consider where you want to live - living downtown will cost a bit more but gives you the nightlife and the more citylife feel that you might be used with NYC. If you you really want to relax, then living on the beach is a great option if you dont mind the hordes of tourists that come for spring break or summer vacation. Poshier beach areas include La Jolla and Del Mar. Coranado Island is also a great place and the parks there are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego