Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is San Diego the best city for pizza in America?
Yes 6 18.18%
No 18 54.55%
maybe in the top 10 but not number 1 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 PM

86 posts, read 153,381 times

Advertisements

To some extent, am not surprised that San Diego was voted #1. Case in point, my favorite pizza joint - Bruno's was such a popular place on the Old California Restaurant Row in San Marcos until it abruptly closed its doors Heck, Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Sophia Loren all dined at this restaurant.

This place was so popular, the closure caused UT to carry a piece in its newspaper;
Closure of popular San Marcos eatery

Last edited by AZ2SD; 08-07-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 05:35 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Fillippi's is crap. I'm a fan of the other two mentioned for thin crust, as well as Bruno and Caffe Calabria for neopolitan-style, and Lefty's for deep dish. But Fillippi's is crap, and I'm almost as disappointed in the good reviews they get as I am when people recommend El Indio for Mexican food.

As for "better" than NY or Chicago? Please. It's based on how high pizza places were rated by tripadvisor reviewers. There's so many factors that could go into this, including the fact that when people go to traditional "pizza" places in "pizza" cities, thier expectations are HIGH, so anything less than perfect gets poor reviews. Here, not so much, so anything that exceeds expectations gets glowing ones.

But Fillippi's is still crap* If you're gonna hide Sysco ingredients under a massive layer of cheese, it should at least be good-quality cheese. Blech.

*not that I'm opnionated about this or anything.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:00 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
I don't get all the negative San Diego food comments, but then again I am pretty much a boob when it comes to fine dining. I have eaten pizza in NYC (Grimaldis and Lombardis) and Chicago (Geno's east, I think) and I found them to be awesome, but at the same time I have had just as good pizza in Las Vegas, San Francisco and here.

Is this merely your personal "taste" or is there really a difference. Does NYC have better access to ingredients or better pizza "cooks". Maybe because it is closer to Italy...I don't know. I also recall in both Chicago and Nueva York the main language spoken in the kitchen was not Italian and certainly not english...if you know what I mean amigo.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I don't get all the negative San Diego food comments, but then again I am pretty much a boob when it comes to fine dining. I have eaten pizza in NYC (Grimaldis and Lombardis) and Chicago (Geno's east, I think) and I found them to be awesome, but at the same time I have had just as good pizza in Las Vegas, San Francisco and here.

Is this merely your personal "taste" or is there really a difference. Does NYC have better access to ingredients or better pizza "cooks". Maybe because it is closer to Italy...I don't know. I also recall in both Chicago and Nueva York the main language spoken in the kitchen was not Italian and certainly not english...if you know what I mean amigo.
It's the New York water. But I've had amazing pizza all over, LA has some great places.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Fellippi's is indeed crap, but passable to good include: Bronx Pizza, Lefty's, Luigi's (provided you don't get any arm hairs in it from the dough kneading), Blue Ribbon. Some new ones about that I haven't tried yet.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Fillippi's is crap. I'm a fan of the other two mentioned for thin crust, as well as Bruno and Caffe Calabria for neopolitan-style, and Lefty's for deep dish. But Fillippi's is crap, and I'm almost as disappointed in the good reviews they get as I am when people recommend El Indio for Mexican food.

As for "better" than NY or Chicago? Please. It's based on how high pizza places were rated by tripadvisor reviewers. There's so many factors that could go into this, including the fact that when people go to traditional "pizza" places in "pizza" cities, thier expectations are HIGH, so anything less than perfect gets poor reviews. Here, not so much, so anything that exceeds expectations gets glowing ones.

But Fillippi's is still crap* If you're gonna hide Sysco ingredients under a massive layer of cheese, it should at least be good-quality cheese. Blech.

*not that I'm opnionated about this or anything.
I'm going to take your advice Jenkay. I don't know you but you clearly know food. I've tried several places you recommended on other threads and so far I've never been disappointed. I finally tried Nine Ten (http://www.nine-ten.com/home.php ) a few weeks ago. (I always avoided it I think because I'm not a big fan of hotel restaurants) but WOW. That place has amazing food! Who would have thought a hotel restaurant would really have such delicious food!

I totally owe you on that call. So far every place you or sdurbanite have mentioned have been spot on target with great meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2SD View Post
To some extent, am not surprised that San Diego was voted #1. Case in point, my favorite pizza joint - Bruno's was such a popular place on the Old California Restaurant Row in San Marcos until it abruptly closed its doors Heck, Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Sophia Loren all dined at this restaurant.

This place was so popular, the closure caused UT to carry a piece in its newspaper;
Closure of popular San Marcos eatery

I remember reading that article when it was printed. I'm sorry I missed that place. It sounds like lots of people loved it.

As far as some of these reviews.... I guess it just depends but I've found several to be TOTALLY overrated. Like that review of Las Cuatro Milpas. I think that place is WAY WAY WAY overrated and over hyped. Sorry for you Las Cuatro Milpas fans but I didn't find anything special about that place at all! I can't believe people stand in line to eat there. Yes, authentic but I don't find it anything to write home about. Sorry.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Like that review of Las Cuatro Milpas. I think that place is WAY WAY WAY overrated and over hyped. Sorry for you Las Cuatro Milpas fans but I didn't find anything special about that place at all! I can't believe people stand in line to eat there. Yes, authentic but I don't find it anything to write home about. Sorry.
Totally agree with you, er. If you want authentic And good/interesting at a value to boot, Super Cocina is where it is at.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Totally agree with you, er. If you want authentic And good/interesting at a value to boot, Super Cocina is where it is at.
Thanks bloom! I love hearing people's favorites on Mexican places. I could never even begin to hit all of them. I love love love Mexican food and there are so many hole in the wall places that are great in SD.

I've never heard of Super Cocina but I'll check it out after I get back from vacation. Heading on vacation tomorrow until the end of the month but I'll be sure to check it out when I get back.

One of my favorite authentic places is in Spring Valley. I wish it wasn't so far away but I really like Ranas. Ranas Mexico City Cuisine, Mexican Food in San Diego, Spring Valley, Casa De Oro Most people probably will never be in this neck of the woods but I've been there a few times. The owners are really friendly people and the food is good. Great soups as well!

My favorite place for California Burritos is Taco Surf. I swear they have the best California and breakfast burritos in SD! http://www.tacosurftacoshop.com Just love them and been there probably over a dozen times and never get tired of it.

My meal at Las Cuatro Milpas was probably one of the worst Mexican meals I've had in SD. The tortillas on my tacos weren't even cooked totally and doughy and disgusting. Maybe I went on an off day but no way this place is the best Mexican in SD! Not by a long shot. I think all this press has gone to their head as it's like a cattle call going through the line and I don't really think they care about quality. And the prices they charge for "that" is kind of obscene. JMHO.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 AM

I recommend to try Super Cocina. It is not my favorite for return visits, as sort of like Chinese food in that I actually prefer Americanized Chinese food to the real deal of authentic Chinese food. However, SC>>>LCM. I surprisingly prefer local chain MXN (previoulsy Santanas) for regular visits.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:51 AM

Another true find, er and others, is Dos Brasas in Olde Towne linked below.
There is only one thing on the menu that is worthy but well worth a few visits just for it and that is the first soup item on their menu (I'm having a hard time reading the name of the soup but it has a spanish name, not tortilla soup). (Otherwise, the food is unremarkable).

Dos Brasas - Old Town - San Diego, CA

Last edited by bloom; 08-08-2013 at 02:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego