Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 AM

31 posts, read 59,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The One Stop Career Centers are a waste of time. I filled out the paperwork for the WIA (Workforce Investment Act) to try to get retrained into a different field other than clerical. My case manager wasn't interested in helping me because I had marketable skills. They will only help you if you have no marketable skills, but that's only if you get lucky and get a case manager that actually does their job.

The Chase employees that are being laid off will be joining the unemployment pool.
:

Moved: You are partly correct in that in order to get approved for training funding you need to lack marketable skills, however that definition is EXTREMELY flexible and open to interpretation. There is a wide range of quality of service from One Stop to One Stop and Case Manager to Case Manager. For instance, the one I worked at was located at a community college campus, and all of us Case Managers had Masters degrees in Counseling and provided impeccable service.

A good case manager will look at your skills and experience, determine what the local demand is, and then evaluate training options from the eligible training provider list to see if there are any appropriate courses that will help you fill the skill gap. Changing fields is a long and expensive endeavor for most people, hence the attempt to utilize current skill sets to find work in the existing field when possible. Clerical is always in demand, and we constantly funded training in that area to upgrade computer skills or add in accounting, project management, non profit management, etc. as it related.

As an opposite example, we had lots of people from manufacturing who literally had no options for employment, so we would fund training for them in a completely different field.

In the future, it is worth it to shop around to various One Stops to see if you can connect better with another Case Manager. You can't always choose case manager, but you can obtain services from any One Stop in your service area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:45 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I started at the One Stop on University Avenue, before and after it was downsized. My case manager was ok, but he was so overloaded with work, then was out for six weeks with heart surgery, that his hands were tied, then he got transferred to Imperial Avenue. After I filled out the paperwork for the WIA program, I got assigned to a case manager at the One Stop on Imperial Avenue, I gave her a list of fields that I was interested in, and she did absolutely nothing except tell me to take workshops.

Since I have my own computer, I mainly utilized it copying and faxing, since I pretty much found it a waste of time, and have no need for it anymore. I don't know of anyone who had any luck with being retrained.

I haven't been to one in several years, since I can make copies on my printer, and if I need to send a fax, I go to my mechanic and use his fax machine.

If you every read the Work and Employment forum, you'll find that many other people agree with me that the One-Stops are a waste of time.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
a relative of mine was let go from Chase almost a year ago, back east...same field, processing mortgages.
This time Chase didn't offer much, unemployment benefits and job counseling. Still hasn't found a job.

I'll never understand why anybody wants to work in the banking industry. Chase went down the tubes when they took over WaMu (the McDonalds of banking).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego