Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times

Advertisements

I think this will be a fun thread albeit subjective. What do you think San Diego city and county will be like in 10 years? (2023) Will San Diego still be talking about Bob Filner's scandal? How much more will the area grow? Economically? Politically? Racially? How will the transportation be? Will it have improved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 PM

73 posts, read 120,867 times
It will be sunny, fun and STILL expensive!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchud Diego View Post

^ This. I do believe that real estate here will keep getting more expensive. Yes, it's expensive today but I think that in 10 years today's prices will probably seem relatively good.

I think that racially we will continue to see the Latino and Asian populations growing more rapidly.

Traffic will probably become more congested although I'm not sure how much worse it will be as they are also expanding highways like 805. I wish I could say I see public transportation drastically improving but I don't think that will happen.

Economically I don't see great improvements or too much growth because of the red tape and tax situation here in California. Quite the contrary, I believe we will continue to see other states try to court companies here small and large away from San Diego for tax benefits and lower operating costs.

The weather will be just as great and I'm confident demand for people wanting to live here will still be strong. Most definitely we will still be reading about people that want to move here, don't have a job, don't have much experience or education yet want to live the SD lifestyle.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Little change overall. Continuing along the same general pattern of the past 20 years or so... low economic growth, low net population growth, housing inflation due to high demand and lack of supply, and declining public services. But it will all be so slow as to be imperceptible to most people.

Racial, demographic and sociographic elements will continue to split along rich / poor lines as former middle class moves up (few), down (mostly), and out (low income) and is displaced by high income newcomers and standard transient beach-seeker churn.

Wealth continues to consolidate into aging boomer retirees and longtime property owners and a few entrepreneurial types as millenials avoid buying their own homes, cars etc as many can't afford these things and many would rather have smartphones than own homes or cars anyway,

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-17-2013 at 12:36 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 AM

358 posts, read 584,112 times
I'm probably more optimistic about San Diego than some (most?) on here. I think SD will continue its growth over the next 10 years. QCOM has already said they're looking to hire another 7000 people in San Diego over the next 5-10 years. So, that alone will add a lot of high paying jobs in San Diego. Then there's the biotech industry. I think biotech is starting to hit its stride and will grow drastically over the next 10 years. Some of those start ups will become big companies. Then there are all the baby boomers who will retire. Those boomers who have the $ will move here. UCSD and SDSU will continue to make a name for itself and continue to crank out top notch graduates. Some of those graduates will go on and start their own start up.

Racially, SD will continue to be a hub for Asians and Hispanics. San Diego will continue to be more and more diverse. Public transportation will "improve". There's talk of creating a rail line from UTC to downtown. Then in the next 10-20 years, there's talk of taking that rail line across Mira Mesa as well, along Carroll Canyon. Freeway will continue to get wider and improved. Although, it won't improve fast enough to keep pace with the population growth, so traffic will get worse. They always do as cities add more people.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:51 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Interesting question bradleyyo.

Having been here almost a decade myself, I dont think SD moves quite that fast to see any huge strides in change.

- Growth industries will remain a consistent wildcard
- Continued building of new homes north and east of the county
- Water supply will continue to be a concern
- Population will continue to grow (estimates are 1mm by 2050)
- COL will never reach levels where we can have a sustainable long term diverse economy
- Real estate will be expensive
- Continue to be a playground for the wealthy
- SD proper's roads will still be awful
- We will not host the Olympics
- The Chargers are either getting a new stadium or leaving (one or the other)
- Downtown will be denser than now
- The weather and anything else not interfered with by humans will continue to be the main attraction here
- The Blue line to UTC will start being built.
- Stereotypes of various parts of the county will not change
- Beer mecca of the West

Old 08-17-2013, 05:24 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
It will probably be more fun to read this in 10 years to see what happens

I think you have to look at the growth in the last 10/20 years to predict the next trend, and trends in other parts of the country. San Diego is not in a vacuum and its well known people want to live in San Diego as long as they can support themselves (and some who don't, i.e. the large homeless population)

Where do you think the people want to go who are in the cities in decline in the rustbelt and midwest? They have some choices of course but San Diego is up there and this is a trend that has been going on for awhile. San Diego is part of the sunbelt and I believe will remain a destination despite the expense.

What I think most people are not factoring in is the huge growth in professionals who can telecommute, particularly young people who are not rooted into other places yet. San Diego is a big destianation for professionals like me who can choose where to live since we don't have to report to an office. I think 20 years ago this cohort was unheard of and is now pretty sizable (and in fact you see a lot of posts here.... I can't imagine there are a ton of posts like that in rural Ohio for teleworkers looking to relocate... or even the big cities...).

I think this cohort will continue to grow, and since we are professionals and have money may impact the economy in a positive way and lend to the overall growth of the economy. Even though we can work from home I'm sure plenty of us would rather work for ourselves and start businesses...

It will be interesting to see.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Drone center of the universe crime will fall to poster boy low

Old 08-17-2013, 07:33 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchud Diego View Post
Yes but with a lot more high rise apartments and ever more crowded public spaces.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:42 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
Ramona will have 75,000 residents and 67 still won't be widened, but I-8 will be 6 lanes all the way to Yuma thanks to a NAFTA grant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego