Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 PM

200 posts, read 354,034 times

Advertisements

My family and I rocked up to local outdoor, run-of-the-mill skate park. Discovered that you have to pay $5 entry fee to skate, after you pay a registration fee. Also informed that some areas of SD the Skate Parks are free.

I'm a little taken aback.

Personally I think they should all be free. Kids love to hang out at these places, socialize, develop their skating techniques, get some exercise. My husband just wanted to relive his youth and skate for a bit. We can afford $5, so it's no big deal to us atm, but I'm concerned about the kids that can't afford it and want to skate everyday.

My kids are too little to skate on their own, but when they are old enough to take off to the skate park on their own, i'd be tempted to let them take the risk of copping a fine and skating in public no-skate areas, than fork out $5 a day for skating in the local skate park.

What's your opinion? Are there other US states the same? I am a foreigner and in my home country skate parks are free to use unless they are privately owned indoor venues.

Last edited by possum_magic; 08-18-2013 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
depends on the park, many of the smaller cities (Coronado, etc) charge a fee. It's a mixed bag.

I used to skate Memorial in Logan Heights and they had a fee but would let in the kids who really wanted to skate with good grades / attitudes for free. It was supervised, clean and safe place and many of the parents just dropped their kids off.

Then the city had budget cuts and closed the office, made the park free. It was instantly filled with lots of kids... but also with pot smoke and trash, broken glass, got all tagged up, BMX'ers wrecked the coping, someone set a fire in the deep bowl, someone stole a piece of coping from the vert. wall, etc

Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum_magic View Post
My family and I rocked up to local outdoor, run-of-the-mill skate park. Discovered that you have to pay $5 entry fee to skate, after you pay a registration fee. Also informed that some areas of SD the Skate Parks are free.

I'm a little taken aback.

Personally I think they should all be free. Kids love to hang out at these places, socialize, develop their skating techniques, get some exercise. My husband just wanted to relive his youth and skate for a bit. We can afford $5, so it's no big deal to us atm, but I'm concerned about the kids that can't afford it and want to skate everyday.

My kids are too little to skate on their own, but when they are old enough to take off to the skate park on their own, i'd be tempted to let them take the risk of copping a fine and skating in public no-skate areas, than fork out $5 a day for skating in the local skate park.

What's your opinion? Are there other US states the same? I am a foreigner and in my home country skate parks are free to use unless they are privately owned indoor venues.
If it's city-owned, consider that the city is strapped for cash, and that fee might be what's keeping it maintained and open. Why not just go to one of the free ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: