Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,571 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a 28 year old female who is looking for apartments to move into with my military fiancee. I cam across the Lion's Gate Apartments on 25th street in Golden Hill. Any information on the apartments or the area? Looking for a safe neighborhood as I will likely be alone for a good chunk of months while my fiancee is deployed. From what I can see, it looks pretty decent and the price is extremely right.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 AM

10 posts, read 15,644 times
The area is pretty safe. I lived on 28th and A as single gal in my twenties (er...ten years ago!) and it's only gotten better. You're right on the commercial strip though---the Turf Club (a bar) is right across the street. Also, I toured those apartments back in the day with a friend and as I recall they weren't very nice inside. You can probably do better in the area for a similar price.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Other than the complex seems a little dated it seems like a perfectly decent place to live. As far as the location it is very safe, and actually it's a little north of the Turf Club (next block up) so it will be quiet, definitely a bit of plane noise though. Great central location in San Diego and still walkable and green neighborhood, also about as close as you can get either to 32nd Naval station or Coronado when your fiancee is back in town without actually living in either.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Other than the complex seems a little dated it seems like a perfectly decent place to live. As far as the location it is very safe, and actually it's a little north of the Turf Club (next block up) so it will be quiet, definitely a bit of plane noise though. Great central location in San Diego and still walkable and green neighborhood, also about as close as you can get either to 32nd Naval station or Coronado when your fiancee is back in town without actually living in either.
Everything's dated in that neighborhood. It's one of the oldest parts of San Diego. That's part of the appeal

But yeah, OP, it's a great area, and I'd totally live there as a single woman again.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:06 PM

11 posts, read 21,273 times
Ehhh I don't know, I lived in Golden Hill for a few years (lived on B st, moved a year ago) and I still don't understand the appeal.

Its really not all that safe either, and I'm honestly not someone who tends to worry about that kind of thing. But honest to god, I was patted down twice coming out of my apt to go to the gym around 11pm in Golden Hill. 2 different times cops were literally hiding in the bushes, jumped out to frisk me and question me. I also heard gunshots a few times and there were constantly 15-18 yr old little wannabe thugs hanging out on every corner.

Plus the neighborhood itself is pretty dirty and depressing. Last August every single shop and restaurant in the Golden Hill area was infested with flies...disgusting. The food options suck too. A few cute little restaurants and bars but thats honestly it. My top food spot was a fish taco truck that went around south park because the other food sucked.

Oh and get READY for the planes. Oh my god I don't even want to think about the plane noise, I tried to block that out of my memory it was so frequent and so loud.

By far the best thing about living in golden hill was the quick access to balboa park golf course

Old 08-20-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears23 View Post
Ehhh I don't know, I lived in Golden Hill for a few years (lived on B st, moved a year ago) and I still don't understand the appeal.

Its really not all that safe either, and I'm honestly not someone who tends to worry about that kind of thing. But honest to god, I was patted down twice coming out of my apt to go to the gym around 11pm in Golden Hill. 2 different times cops were literally hiding in the bushes, jumped out to frisk me and question me. I also heard gunshots a few times and there were constantly 15-18 yr old little wannabe thugs hanging out on every corner.

Plus the neighborhood itself is pretty dirty and depressing. Last August every single shop and restaurant in the Golden Hill area was infested with flies...disgusting. The food options suck too. A few cute little restaurants and bars but thats honestly it. My top food spot was a fish taco truck that went around south park because the other food sucked.

Oh and get READY for the planes. Oh my god I don't even want to think about the plane noise, I tried to block that out of my memory it was so frequent and so loud.

By far the best thing about living in golden hill was the quick access to balboa park golf course
Edit: just saw where you said it was up until a year ago. That sounds so weird to me, I mean, it sounds like how the neighborhood was 20 years ago. What part of B street were you on? Some blocks are not as nice as others, for sure, but you can generally pretty easily tell by the types of dwellings. I lived on 22nd and Broadway and it was great. My best friend lives on 23rd and A and it's super nice, quiet, all the nieghbors know each other, etc. etc.

I'd totally move back to that neighborhood.

Last edited by Jenkay; 08-20-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 05:13 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I have friends that live in Golden Hill and have never experienced any of the problems that you state. Plus, there are lots of places to eat there, not just a few.

But since you dislike San Diego weather, and don't like Golden Hill, you're being negative.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I have friends that live in Golden Hill and have never experienced any of the problems that you state. Plus, there are lots of places to eat there, not just a few.

But since you dislike San Diego weather, and don't like Golden Hill, you're being negative.
You hush there, you weather elitist, you.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:53 AM

11 posts, read 21,273 times
Quote:
I have friends that live in Golden Hill and have never experienced any of the problems that you state.
Well thats great that you FRIENDS live there, I'd say someone who just recently lived there night and day for 2 years would have a better perspective on the real situation. God forbid anyone says something negative about San Diego. Theres not a city in the country where the people are more defensive, its really really odd. You can't be happy for yourself, you have to convince the others who don't enjoy it that they're wrong. People from out of town deserve both opinions.

Golden Hill is an average neighborhood at best, it is what it is. Its not horrible but its definetly not great.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I think you just don't like San Diego. My friends that live in Golden Hill have lived there for longer than two years. They come and go during the day and night without any problems.

Myself, I live in City Heights, have for five years, and I come and go day and night, and never had any problems, and I'm a single female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego