Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:17 PM

50,158 posts, read 46,820,657 times

Advertisements

Apparently the City is going to approve more permit parking surrounding Mesa College. For years residents were getting turned down as Mesa used the area around it for it's parking lot which would be illegal for a business. Luckily my Parents were part of the first wave before this ill advised "stoppage" of parking permits.

Now there seems to be a bunch of upset students placing placards around the area saying permit parking is illegal and that the parking is for the public. I guess they missed the whole trash, condoms, beer bottles, moving trash cans on trash day, parking in driveways, speeding cars thing the rest of the hood had to deal with when SDSU capped enrollment.

I understand the plight of the students but how can a school of any size take over a neighborhood of many square miles without sufficient parking? No other City College has this issue, not even "City College".

Anyway, imposters beware, more parking permits are on the way. The hood was there long before the school! Be a good neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,390,679 times
But, "it's for the children"

Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 PM

371 posts, read 636,038 times
What do you mean "stoppage" of permits? I remember when the permits (Area E, I think) were first approved; I was taking evening classes at Mesa, and everyone adjusted. I haven't been there since 2009 or so -- they got rid of the permit area?

As much of a pain as it is to get city permits -- I used to live in the permit area near UCSD Med Center -- I remember the blocked driveways and crowded streets. Having a permit area surrounding Mesa was a good idea. Why did they stop it?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 PM

4,531 posts, read 12,370,977 times
I was just checking the aerial map to see if the new parking structure been completed (it has) and noticed it appears they removed some of the lower level parking. What did they do? Add a bunch of space in one location and remove it in the other? Mesa needed a net addition of parking not a re-arrangement.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I was just checking the aerial map to see if the new parking structure been completed (it has) and noticed it appears they removed some of the lower level parking. What did they do? Add a bunch of space in one location and remove it in the other? Mesa needed a net addition of parking not a re-arrangement.
Yep, and that structure was their excuse to deny further E parking permits for the home owners dealing with the new waves of students. My folks place is ONE MILE from the closest classroom and they would still choke out the hood during the day. They currently have something like 10-1 students per parking spots.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
What do you mean "stoppage" of permits? I remember when the permits (Area E, I think) were first approved; I was taking evening classes at Mesa, and everyone adjusted. I haven't been there since 2009 or so -- they got rid of the permit area?

As much of a pain as it is to get city permits -- I used to live in the permit area near UCSD Med Center -- I remember the blocked driveways and crowded streets. Having a permit area surrounding Mesa was a good idea. Why did they stop it?
The neighbors to the East of my folks tried to do what we did and that's apply for permits. We were told they were denied for years until recently. The excuse being they were going to build ample parking. BIG LIE! So, it will be like SDSU with the entire area permit parking only. There is ample space for a new lot next to the school but the enviros are blocking the plan according to Mesa staff. Either that or they simply are dragging it out as long as possible ak law suites.

The obvious easy solution for the City was to use the neighborhood as their parking lot. The hood was there way before the school was.

Here is where they starting adding additional classrooms with removal of parking
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...situation.html

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 08-23-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,802 times
Personally, I'd sue the city as public parking is indeed for the public. Students are indeed part of the public and if you don't want to be around students then may I suggest you move some where which isn't right next to a college? Just a thought.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Personally, I'd sue the city as public parking is indeed for the public. Students are indeed part of the public and if you don't want to be around students then may I suggest you move some where which isn't right next to a college? Just a thought.
Maybe you'll experience a new school right next to your house soon with condoms, beer bottles and fast food containers in your yard. You might be able to park in your driveway if a student isn't. Just a thought.

Oh, and I believe it was law suites that started the whole permit thing in the first place. You know who would fit the bill for that if they hadn't reached an agreement, right?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 AM

7,369 posts, read 12,617,912 times
That's the first I've heard of recent neighborhood parking issues, but I think I know what has happened: an entire department has been moved down to the lower parking lot while their new structure is being built, occupying the old student services modular buildings, so students are trying to park near their temp classrooms--and the lower parking lot just can't accommodate all those cars. Things should normalize next fall when the new building opens. Until then...chaotic parking conditions...

(Understanding that "normal" isn't necessarily good!)

Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
That's the first I've heard of recent neighborhood parking issues, but I think I know what has happened: an entire department has been moved down to the lower parking lot while their new structure is being built, occupying the old student services modular buildings, so students are trying to park near their temp classrooms--and the lower parking lot just can't accommodate all those cars. Things should normalize next fall when the new building opens. Until then...chaotic parking conditions...
It's been a complete mess ever since SDSU capped enrollment. They could build 5 more parking structures and it wouldn't come close to rectifying the situation. I'll try to remember to get some pics of the streets around Carnival market that is packed with students that can't get parking on campus. All the new permits will do is move the "problem" even further from campus. The lot that was built on was no more than maybe 100 spots. Not even a dent I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego