Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times

Advertisements

After a frustrating 1 1/2 month delay, I finally made it to San Diego today. I was able to stroll along the beach and breath in the salty air. I've read the last few pages of this thread and there's a lot of negativity towards SD. However watching the sunset over the Pacific was awesome to me and I think some people don't realize what they have living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 PM

199 posts, read 336,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Miami does not come to mind.
Not sure if facetious, but apparently that's how the quoted poster views Miami.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:17 PM

579 posts, read 762,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
After a frustrating 1 1/2 month delay, I finally made it to San Diego today. I was able to stroll along the beach and breath in the salty air. I've read the last few pages of this thread and there's a lot of negativity towards SD. However watching the sunset over the Pacific was awesome to me and I think some people don't realize what they have living here.
I was there a few days ago, will be there again tomorrow

Awesome sight but not very social

Old 03-22-2014, 11:22 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader_22 View Post
Yes, but there is one BIG problem with Miami that you fail to state: It is in FLORIDA, a backwards, politically/socially/morally retarded state. Florida is a REGRESSIVE state, going back in time in every way. The leaders do not believe in science, in Darwin. It is in the South, the redneck, ignorant, hateful SOUTH. I considered Florida also, but it is a state full of Right-Wing Nut Jobs. I would not fit in at all, not would I want to. But, perhaps you would. Good luck to you.
I would agree with you about most of Florida--but not Miami/Dade....it is a very cosmopolitan area with a sophisticated (non Palin-Cruz crowd, thank goodness) international make up along with transplants from the Northeast (i.e. NY--not Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, etc. like you have here. which fits in with that description as well). I don't think you'll find me in Orlando, Gainseville,or the Panhandle--that's Deliverance country (OK, that was filmed in Georgia).

Old 03-22-2014, 11:22 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Not sure if facetious, but apparently that's how the quoted poster views Miami.
yes, I know. I was pointing out its not exactly the most refined place in America, or most elite with the most educated. Not by a long shot!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Good post. Could you please give more reasons? Don't keep secrets here!
8. In downtown, when you call the police to report a non-emergency situation not requiring 911 there is a 9 out of 10 chance you will get a recording rather than a live person--at least that is my experience here in San Diego.

9. I've never lived in another metro area where as many guys check me out (I'm flattered and nothing wrong with that, but I don't swing that way) on a daily basis--and I lived in SF for 3 years...much worse here...I cannot find a gym in the downtown area that is less than 40% gay....sorry. but when I'm in the mood for steak, I'm not going to Point Loma Seafood.

10. When I move to Florida, I will have far more access to far more places that are far more closer and a bigger airport that will take me to more places nonstop....I already mentioned Europe and Latin America. You've also got a dozen countries in the Caribbean, and short plane rides to destinations here in the states such as New Orleans, Chicago, NYC, and more that don't take all day to get to.....here in SoCal, you have Mexico, Vegas, and Hawaii. Want to go to Europe or Brazil?--that's 1 full day in each direction (not including recovery time from jet lag. Ditto that for Asia, Australia, etc. Wanna gettaway?--get used to the 'bubble' at similar places mentioned above or be prepared to sit your ass in a plane seat for a very long time to get more diversity.

Now, to add to my earlier post, I realize downtown is NOT the only place to live in San Diego and I will meet brighter and more professional people in La Jolla, Del Mar, etc--however, I give up city living for suburbia--which, as I mentioned earlier, I had my fill with OC....same reason when I relocate why I would be moving to Miami (Brickell) and not their equivalent suburbia of Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Palm Beach, etc.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-22-2014 at 11:47 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
yeah I was about to say.....uh huh Florida is known the world over for its culture and refinement!

Miami is just as suburban as everywhere else (if not more so, hello pink jogging suits and white patio chairs and grandmas...)

Don't get me wrong, I love grandmas, and jogging suits, and patios! Miami is of course also now known for being possibly even more shallow and appearance conscious (obsessed...) than LA, many of the females actually resembling robots, actually. It's a little frightening. I don't think of that as "culture" I lived in FL for a bit but not Miami. I enjoyed the nightclubs and the South Beach area but didn't find anything in Miami to be particularly walkable or urban either?

Miami seems that it is unto its own world, kind of its own place. I don't know, I'm sure its great.

The thing is, when you are that negative about a place, the positives of another seem to take on a new life. The argument for miami sounded great!!!

the problem is its all kind of a dream, like taking a new partner cause you are annoyed and bored with the quirks of an old one.

You will sour on Miami too and just about anyplace. That's not to say that both don't have their advantages and disadvantages! Certainly they do, but sadly I can't think of any place in America that doesn't suffer from traffic, commuting troubles, and um...well people having to work.

The water being warmer in Fl is a big plus, the bugs, humidity and lack of mountains (to some) a big minus.
.....I didn't see where I used the word culture and education in my pro-Miami pitch (though they do have art and food festivals, Art Basel comes to mind, along with a new world class symphony) nor did I say it's THE most refined city in the USA (it's amazing how people read what they want to read), but I will tell you the city is going through a big time renaissance at the moment --from South Beach, Brickell, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, (all walkable communities, by the way, and not a haven for grandma and grandpa--try Pompano, instead) Key Biscayne, and more. Of course, if you want to compare apples to apples, one doesn't need to travel very far out of San Diego to get SoCal's equivalent of The Confederate states and rednecks--namely El Cajon and all points East along with Temecula up through Riverside County to the north. And as for Florida being the whack job state at the moment--it certainly is (in the redneck areas), but let's not forget the SoCal escapades of OJ, Rodney King, Richard Ramirez, Charles Manson, etc. etc....seems CA and Florida take turns battling for the title fruitcake state every 20 years or so--right now Florida has the lead but I have confidence CA will make a comeback.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-23-2014 at 12:25 AM..

Old 03-23-2014, 06:46 PM

25 posts, read 31,049 times
Sold our 1400 sq foot zero lot line house in vista for 407k in August and bailed San Diego. Moved across country got huge house for half the price amazing school music art computer lab and not lost time teaching kids English.

Why did we wait so long...

Old 03-23-2014, 07:22 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
I was there a few days ago, will be there again tomorrow

Awesome sight but not very social
Well I'm not a super social person haha so that's fine by me. I like to enjoy the scenery and people watch. A common theme I see on the SD forum is people complaining about the "anti-social" aspect of SD. I think "anti-social" is too harsh but it's definitely more of a low key, laid back, I go my way and you go your way kind of attitude. But that works for me though.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Not sure about the anti social aspect but when you refer to low key, laid back it also depends on one's definition. I would throw in that some, possibly many--but not all, are ignorant and lack basic common sense and common courtesy.

Example 1--I have never seen any other city where people walk into food and beverage establishments with their dogs (no, these are NOT service animals they are walking in with)...there is a reason why most cities have a Board of Health--I, for one, don't sleep and eat with animals.

Example 2--if you see someone sitting at a table outside a Starbucks or anywhere and there is an empty seat, you ask someone if you can sit down in the empty chair--you don't just sit down without even acknowledging the person who is there already. This happens regularly here and I correct people.

Example 3--you let someone off the elevator before you get on...when I try to explain to others who just observed what happened that I would've gotten slapped in my head by my father the 2nd time I did this, the morons don't get what I'm talking about and thought I was trying to tell them I was an abused child.

Example 4--I'm in the gym minding my own business when an acquaintance (not a friend) thought he was being funny and tried tugging on and pulling down my sweat pants...the guy is in his mid-late 40's...maybe he's gay or bi (I'm neither), but you don't do that in public or private, maybe you do if you're 6 or 7 years old....maybe a laid back person would have taken that in stride--I didn't.

These are but a few and basic examples of common courtesy and common sense that I learned at age 4 that I see people struggling with--at least downtown (I can share many, many more examples). Some may call this laid back and low key--I call this classless and clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego