Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 08:45 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times

Advertisements

[quote=rosa surf;34071131]Well San Diego is a lot smaller and I do think it is more laid back. I think the people are friendly here. We do have a lot of subcultures here like any city.

Since LA is huge, I think it depends on which area of LA you would move to and what type of crowd you would mingle with.[/quote

Depending upon what part of the East Coast you are coming from, Santa Monica might be very appropriate for you in the LA area, especially if you are from the NY metro area. From my experience, San Diego, seems to attract more people from 'smaller' cities like Boston and the New England area (though don't kid yourself, still lots of NY'ers here as well). Not set in stone, but that's my general observation and, of course, there's more to the East Coast than NY, NJ, CT, and the New England states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
[quote=elchevere;34071320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I grew up in the DC area with the humidity from hell, and the crappy winter weather. I decided to move to Tucson, and spent two summers there. I had no problems with the high summer temperatures or the dry heat. I'll take it any day over the humidity, snow, sleet and ice storms.[/quo

Not sure D.C is an appropriate comparison to FL, but glad you enjoy(ed) the heat and dryness of Arizona...too many dehydration headaches--and painful ones at that--(and too conservative) for my tastes, which is why I actually prefer a bit of humidity (good for my complexion and my cigars). It's the mosquitos that I don't care for that humidity attracts, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.
I have no problems with the heat, it's the cold that I have problems with. I get very cold in the winter, even here, and always get sick. When I lived in DC, by the time I got over being sick, I'd get sick again. I have chronic bronchitis which flares up in the winter, but it wasn't as bad when I lived in AZ and here.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
...have you even been to Florida?...actually the weather there from end of October to mid-May (sometimes end of May) is quite nice. I would argue the weather from November 1 through April 1--maybe even longer into April (that's nearly half the year) is nicer than the chilly (low 40' s at night) winters in San Diego....it's June - September that are 90/90 when it gets challenging, but it is still on top of an ocean. Last I checked, Florida hosts many golf and tennis tournaments and is a destination for these sports along with boating and fishing--are these not held outdoors and considered activities?..People get by there just as people get by in other portions of the world. If you want to talk about intolerable, talk about Arizona or Nevada in the summer at 100 -120 degrees--I could care less about their 'dry heat'--its a living hell.
I lived in Naples, actually.

I love Florida Beaches. But to suggest it compares to California in terms of the array of outdoor activities is silly. And its probably from people who don't particularly value outdoor activities (and the array of) the way that the people who move to CA for the outdoors do...

therefore their opinion about how the outdoors are just about the same everywhere is, well, moot. But thousands of people could tell them that, it won't matter, why? because they don't get it! lol

Old 03-28-2014, 04:17 AM

Your original comment stated outdoor activities in Florida did not compute, to which I replied what about golf, tennis, boating, and fishing?...Maybe you were being facetious....as for the beaches/ocean, surfing is better in CA but body surfing and swimming is preferable year round in FL due to the warmer temperature of the Atlantic that does not require a wet suit to go in the water...Clear advantage of CA are the mountains (skiing, hiking, national parks); nobody is arguing that.....besides mountains (maybe you spend more time there than I do and when I snow ski, it usually involves a plane ride to destination skiing such as Tahoe or Utah, not subpar 'local' skiing) what other outdoor activities am I missing and how often in a year do you do these other activities that don't come to the top of my mind at the moment???

Old 03-28-2014, 07:15 AM

should also add besides these activities above, a big portion of my day is working out..will be nice to have the option of joining a top of the line club such as Equinox or Sports Club/LA where I'll be going...also happen to be a big sports fan, so it will be nice to have 4 professional sports teams--not just 2--in town along with a state of the art football stadium to enjoy watching a game....outdoors.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-28-2014 at 07:46 AM..

Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Your original comment stated outdoor activities in Florida did not compute, to which I replied what about golf, tennis, boating, and fishing?...Maybe you were being facetious....as for the beaches/ocean, surfing is better in CA but body surfing and swimming is preferable year round in FL due to the warmer temperature of the Atlantic that does not require a wet suit to go in the water...Clear advantage of CA are the mountains (skiing, hiking, national parks); nobody is arguing that.....besides mountains (maybe you spend more time there than I do and when I snow ski, it usually involves a plane ride to destination skiing such as Tahoe or Utah, not subpar 'local' skiing) what other outdoor activities am I missing and how often in a year do you do these other activities that don't come to the top of my mind at the moment???
the only thing better in Florida has to do with the warmer water (so a few water sports, like swimming). I like swimming, and its better there if you like the warmer water.

The rest though, you can't be serious. There are more National and State Parks in CA than anywhere and we are close to more in in AZ, and NV and WA and OR (relativley close to those).

obviously there are few hills and mountans in FL. Everything to do with hiking, or rock climbing or mountain biking is here and not there. It's not just snow vs. no snow. I hardly ever ski or snow board, though those who do it certainly matters.

I have hiking trails outside my door. In FL? no way.

People who say they love the outdoors are not talking about golf and tennis in the bearable months of the year when the move to CA!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Did you even read my comment above in which I gave CA the advantage of mountains and parks?... Sorry, for me those are not high priorities at all so thanks for verifying my making the correct decision.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:40 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Did you even read my comment above in which I gave CA the advantage of mountains and parks?... Sorry, for me those are not high priorities at all so thanks for verifying my making the correct decision.
^^ Still not convinced you are ready to leave here for Miami

Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 AM

I promise I will send a postcard !!

Old 03-28-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
well then you missed the part where I said people who value the outdoors (not just warm water and very warm weather) will be drawn to CA for the array of outdoor activities.

To people who do not care about that and are satisfied with air conditioning and nice beaches (perhaps some tennis and golf in pleasant months) will be satisfied in a place like FL.

But those are not the same people who say they move for the outdoors. It's a different person, and why the people who say you can have 'outdoors' anywhere just don't really understand, as its not there personal value. And it does make a difference to be in CA for those that care about that and consider it part of their quality of life.

FL would not satisfy that person (and I do know as I did live there). I love the beaches, but my heart was in the Wild West..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego