Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 10:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post

I am surprised and glad that others don't feel the same lack of connectivity which I do.
Rant button to off. You asked.
I've lived here 30 years. I always say that it's easy to make acquaintances in San Diego, but much harder to make really good friends (and when you do find good friends, they often move away). So, I definitely understand the lack of connectivity you're talking about.

But, since I married a San Diegan native, this will probably be where they plant me after I die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:45 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Avery View Post
I moved to San Diego from Tucson a few weeks ago in order to advance my career.

The job is amazing -- I nearly doubled my Tucson wage, and I'm working as a Laboratory Information Systems Analyst for a major hospital system - a logical next step from my previous job, supporting LAB software for multiple clients. This is a careermaker kind of job that will lock in my credentials, with a skillset that is both rare, and in demand. I am living the dream of class mobility. Two years of this and I can write my own ticket...

..And I am already counting the days until I have served my two years so I can get out of this terrible place. In Tucson, $800 a month puts you in a 3 bedroom house with a yard on a quiet street. In San Diego, $1750 a month puts you in a slum apartment in Mira Mesa. The security door to my building went missing today, and the amenities include a 24-hour drug dealer who operates from his porch right next to the now missing security door.

The traffic is preposterous and prop 2 jacked up the price of eggs so much that my food costs have tripled as compared to Tucson (My wife and I eat 5 dozen eggs every week due to dietary restrictions). The weather isn't so amazing as everyone likes to think it is. It's ok. It might even be the okayest weather in the world. But it's too humid, and too mild all at once. To be fair, I prefer a proper desert climate. I will concede that the weather here is better than it was in the Pacific Northwest. But that is the only respect in which I would call it better. The ocean would be nice, if you could actually get to it. Not sure who planned the parking at mission beach, but their gift for under-estimation is unparalleled in the entire history of municipal planning.

I suppose my biggest problem with this place is the number of people.

I don't know why, but it seems that when you get too many people in one place, they become less human. Every day since I've been here, I've witnessed acts of remarkable inhumanity. For a population so concerned about the comfort of chickens, a disheartening proportion of them seem completely incapable of common decency or consideration toward people.

I've been here for a month, and I'm already looking forward to putting the other 23 months behind me.

On a positive note -- Palm Desert is nearby. Wonderful place, full of terrific people.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from living here. For many, the amenities are worth the cost of admission. There are things to do here, and anything you could be looking for is available somewhere in this city (Unless you're looking for a parking space). All I'm really saying is that everything about San Diego is wrong for me.

At least it isn't San Francisco. I wouldn't live in San Francisco if they offered me a job as mayor.
Holy Cats that was funny, funny enough to almost snort my drink and enough to make me login for the first time in months. thanks.

ps. I left SD. I still love CA and SD but renting an apartment in SD to the tyrannical landlords during a housing shortage is pretty much hell on earth at least if you care about your well being and your future. Its not just like waiting it out in a small apartment, its something else....hard to explain. At least that was my experience and my last experience was enough to storm out of there and go into a life on the road lol. I work remotely so it was kind of exciting for a bit, going from hotel to hotel with my cat.

I landed in Las Vegas, thought I'd be here temporarily and I'm finally facing signing a year lease. something I thought Id never do again. I'm not quite ready to buy but I have to say LV has turned out to be a much better fit for me than I Thought. While the desert climate can be harsh I just love the things I can get to easily (zion, red rock, etc.) Ive thoroughly enjoyed myself, and my extra money...

I admit though, one of the things I like about LV is still being able to visit CA easily. But that's also kinda why its the best of both worlds without the price. For me. People are very individual in what will work well for them, that's for sure.

When I'm ready to buy I will for sure be looking back at SD to see whats going on with housing but when I left (end of Jan) it was terrible and my landlords ...ugh I'm still in hiding waiting to write me yelp review, might be about time now!

Old 11-05-2015, 06:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Holy Cats that was funny, funny enough to almost snort my drink and enough to make me login for the first time in months. thanks.

ps. I left SD. I still love CA and SD but renting an apartment in SD to the tyrannical landlords during a housing shortage is pretty much hell on earth at least if you care about your well being and your future. Its not just like waiting it out in a small apartment, its something else....hard to explain. At least that was my experience and my last experience was enough to storm out of there and go into a life on the road lol. I work remotely so it was kind of exciting for a bit, going from hotel to hotel with my cat.

I landed in Las Vegas, thought I'd be here temporarily and I'm finally facing signing a year lease. something I thought Id never do again. I'm not quite ready to buy but I have to say LV has turned out to be a much better fit for me than I Thought. While the desert climate can be harsh I just love the things I can get to easily (zion, red rock, etc.) Ive thoroughly enjoyed myself, and my extra money...

I admit though, one of the things I like about LV is still being able to visit CA easily. But that's also kinda why its the best of both worlds without the price. For me. People are very individual in what will work well for them, that's for sure.

When I'm ready to buy I will for sure be looking back at SD to see whats going on with housing but when I left (end of Jan) it was terrible and my landlords ...ugh I'm still in hiding waiting to write me yelp review, might be about time now!
Wow. I am glad to hear from you. You made a smart move especially since you are saving money (plus no state income tax, correct?). Glad to hear you are ok. Vegas is hot, but has a lot to offer especially with its proximity to Utah. Keep saving! Save as much as you can. In the meantime, maybe the market might shake up and you can jump in. At this point, prices in SoCal are shockingly high.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 11-05-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 11-05-2015, 07:04 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
RGB? What the ? Welcome back!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:16 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Hi Guys! Hi!!!!!!

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for So Cal and will be spending some time in LA for medical / surgery at the end of this month. I'm a little hesitant still to sign a lease in NV but I feel like being here, puts me that much closer to being an owner in CA sooner...so I kinda left to come back stronger

but my doctors etc. stuff like that its still in CA and gives me a good reason to visit. All my friends can't keep up with me, first question is always 'so where do you live now?' or 'when are you going to settle down?' lol but honestly its been great, while I may be looking at a little price increase here on an apartment I've been living month to month in a $700 all utilities included "casita" its been amazing (but tiny, I work from bed half the time, and its time to get a proper apartment and get my desk out of storage lol)

I thought I'd be ready to buy already but with the health stuff and having to pay for all that I'm putting it off a bit and things are up in Vegas too... I kinda want to see what happens once people start building again! In both places!!

But so far, yes its been a great move and I've had a lot of fun and seen a lot of the Southwest I hadn't found the time or opportunity to since I'd been in CA.

oh yeah the no state income tax....that savings is about equal to what I've been paying in rent don't ask me how I'm not richer probably cause of all those road trips and that I never eat at home (casita doesn't really have a kitchen lol)

Old 11-06-2015, 08:12 AM

332 posts, read 632,331 times
Default To Dr. Avery

Try driving in LA if you think this traffic is bad...it's not THAT bad. Yes, during rush hour it gets a bit slow, but besides the 78, I haven't had many 'pull my hair out' moments on the road.

We're 2 months shy of our first 5 years and we are still loving it. Like anything, it's what you make out of it. I am okay with not having a 4,000 sq. ft. McMansion in Texas, Arizona, Nevada or the Midwest where I'm from.

Yes, rent/mortgages are high out here, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. And yes, we share a home with my 55 year old sister-in-law, but her 3rd of the rent and help with cooking and cleaning and watching the kids makes it worth it.

Everyone knows SD is NOT where you want to live if you want to build wealth. Actually, I believe it was ranked the worst city in the country for that. But if you want to enjoy life (and we only have one life to live), then it's pretty damn good.

Also, the only time I haven't been able to find close free parking at Mission Beach/Belmont Park (or any beaches for that matter) was when I was stupid enough to venture out this past Labor Day.

Good luck finding ANY free close beach parking in LA.

I'm looking forward to our 5 year SD anniversary (does that mean I'm not a 'newbie' anymore?) and looking forward to eventually buying a home...even if I have to eat rice and beans every night.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:35 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post

Yes, rent/mortgages are high out here, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. And yes, we share a home with my 55 year old sister-in-law, but her 3rd of the rent and help with cooking and cleaning and watching the kids makes it worth it.
At least sisters-in-law are only good for something like chores and rent.
Is she compatible to live with, or a pain-in-the-arse, Spartacus?

Old 11-06-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
At least sisters-in-law are only good for something like chores and rent.
Is she compatible to live with, or a pain-in-the-arse, Spartacus?
Lol...she's compatible to live with. Yes, her eating and non-exercising habits are annoying to my wife and I, but mostly because we love her and want her to experience all that life has to offer (versus sitting around playing games on an iPad all night), but mostly because we want positive role models for our kids.

But yes, besides those things (that don't directly affect my wife and I), she's a great roommate. It is very nice especially since we're so far from the majority of our family (Michigan and Indiana).

It is VERY hard to afford rent for a decent 3BR detached home in the PUSD district, even on a household income over $100K.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:27 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post

It is VERY hard to afford rent for a decent 3BR detached home in the PUSD district, .
Whats's the current rent range for that there?

Old 11-06-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Whats's the current rent range for that there?
Probably $2,200 a month at the low end and that won't get you much. You can get a cheaper attached condo or townhome, but you'll sacrifice a garage and some space and privacy.

We pay $2,750 a month for about a 2K sq. ft. 3BR in Carmel Mountain right now. That'd be tough to swing for us if we didn't have my sister-in-law's third of the rent ($916.66 + utilities) every month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego