Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,911,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Well, there are MANY places around the country that are "way less" (i.e. much cheaper to live vs. San Diego). Omaha, Nebraska is cheaper too but I doubt you'd meet too many people that are rushing to move there just because it's cheaper.

As to the single women thingy sure that could be good for you. Where did you meet them? There are many single females in San Diego as well but you'd have to weigh all the other negatives vs. positives.

LOL. Yeah, I have a few single male friends and they tell me that San Diego is excellent for hooking up but tough to find "marriage material". One guy I met last month I recently went out to happy hour with. I mentioned how in this day and age of Tinder if I was single these days and not looking for anything serious, it would be too easy.

He laughed and said his friend recommended Tinder a few weeks ago. He said he hooked up with a girl from La Jolla within 3 hours of starting to use that App. No joke.

He did say that he has found it VERY tough to find "Marriage type material" in San Diego. He said most of the girls he has met here in San Diego would rather end up with a divorced guy with kids that is in the right zip code vs. a younger guy with not too much money. Not sure if it's true or not. Just reporting what he mentioned.
It's called finding a sugar daddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times
Actually I really enjoyed Omaha. As to the dating seen here in San Diego women who are accomplished are looking for many qualities. Fortunately, most just want a really good man to be with and the other "conditions" fall away with the kiss.

Thank goodness.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:44 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,339,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Cool! So what was different than meeting women here?

I am happily married, but was just curious as I havent been on the circuit for a quite a while, let alone in SD's circuit.
I have heard from my wife's friends who are very attractive and successful that dating is atrocious for career minded women in SD. But hear its a total win for men looking for fun.

Cant argue the COL there if that is big sore spot vs here. Though I have never spent any signficant amount of time in AZ to make any 'every day' life judgments.
it's atrocious for career minded women everywhere. SD is no worse and in my opinion way better than NYC or Chicago or DC where, frankly there are just a lot more women than men, and cultural attitudes that promote the hook up culture much more actually.

I've never heard of tinder, sounds gross. I'm not sure what kids are doing these days but I would not say that is common at all among mature people and am glad its available to those that care about that as it keeps them away from the more serious people...

I have limited experience in SD so far though its not that different than Ventura. What I have found is there are a lot more openly Christian men here, that seems a positive to me in terms of dating/marriage.

Most of these stories are anecdotal and depends a lot on where people are looking... besides Alaska ...I mean, you are not going to find a place in America that is really any better for women to find a date. Frankly it sucks everywhere if you have standards, just the way it is.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:02 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It's called finding a sugar daddy.
Alternately, it's called finding a man rather than a boy who's looking for a mommy substitute.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:52 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Alternately, it's called finding a man rather than a boy who's looking for a mommy substitute.
A-men to that, brotha!

Old 03-13-2014, 03:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,217 times
Came here for job, weather, and lifestyle.
I'd leave to live 1/3 the year in Hawaii in retirement which is exactly what I plan on doing in 25 years.
I'd consider leaving for 5-10 years after my kids grow up for my career (while still owning my home here) to accumlimate more money prior to full retirement.
I will always have some kind of home here as my main residence.
To the guy stating every place has "outdoors" and complaining about the 90 degree weather in the summer in inland areas- I'm guessing he's never been in the west. I love golfing in 95 degrees in the desert and find it pleasant- better than golfing on the East Coast in 80 degree weather- much less sweat and no bugs biting you constantly.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,911,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Not really. Spend time in wealthy areas, vegas, etc. It's not about finding a man, it's about finding somebody with a huge bank account and nice things. Nothing wrong with that, but that's what it is.

Many of us grow tired of it in one way or another. So you start to find alternative ways to do things that doesn't show you have nice things. And wow, suddenly those same women aren't interested in a Man, they are just interested in the money.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:20 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times
That would be leaving Las Vegas.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,535 times
After reading this entire thread I would like to formally request asylum in San Diego. I've been living in war torn Northern California for the past nine years. The previous twenty nine years were spent in The Peoples Republic of New York City. Sunshine, mild temps, beaches, slow pace, generally clean, diverse, low crime per capita, nightlife, good food, etc.. This is what I've been reading. And the folks who live there are friendly. This is a big one for me. I don't care if you're faking it a little. Or faking it completely. It's probably best that I don't know. Thanks... Oh yeah, I shower regularly, pay my taxes, have a job, and I'm generally well mannered. However, I don't own any cool looking hats. I hope that won't be a problem. Please help me San Diego.. you're my only hope.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:24 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,928,249 times
^ You're your own only hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego