Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:28 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,757,143 times

Advertisements

This all I have to say!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 03:37 PM

50,149 posts, read 46,802,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Aah the bigotry on this thread is sooo .... stupid. Both sides.
^ this

Barely cloaked Xenophobia aka ignorance Some people were born in the fashion valley mall and apparently never left.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
No need to challenge my intelligence. And challenging my intelligence doesn't change the fact that San Diego still has a huge military presence. If there is one thing I hated about San Diego, it was the overbearing military influence. It made for a city/region with people who lack roots and whose children often are not the best students. It brought rural America to a moderately sized city. Most significantly, it made for an environment that was somewhat stifling culturally. It became a place where mediocrity flourished, city trends never caught on, and was isolating in its feel. Fortunately, these cultural forces are weakening, but still present.

San Diego has military in its very DNA and it won't change in my lifetime.

The Military is Embedded in San Diego's History | KPBS

A fairly accurate post in IMO of how a large portion of San Diego is, and I'm a native here. The stark differences in the people that live in SD say compared to OC and L.A. area is huge. The mentality alone, and how everyone acts like SD is sacred ground and nothing bad exist here is tiresome to hear all the time which we know is overblown.

Anytime I go up to L.A. or OC to see family, I never see hicks, or rednecky types up there like you see here. And again, the reasons for this is that the military brings RURAL MURICA to SD. That is so true btw how rural America has settled here by the thousands. Just seeing how a typical long time San Diegan dresses and acts or even looks vs someone who came here originally from Kansas, the Mid-Westerners typically do not change the way they dress or act. I deal with these types of people on a daily basis and it's surprising how many of them live here and came to SD years ago, but still have kept their traits and habits, and especially their hardcore conservative stances on everything. They let it be known too. Take a look on back on one's truck or car, and see dozens of right wing stickers that's plastered on it.

In OC, the conservatism up there mostly resides from the ultra wealth of it's residents, while in SD, the conservatism is a mixture of both wealth and working class Whites that usually have a military background or family members that do.

It's interesting how OC and many L.A. suburbs are borderline urban in nature with it's high density and grid layout street pattern that stretches miles upon miles long. While SD suburbs can magically disappear into a semi-rural environment where nothing else is around you, not even a light post.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
^ this

Barely cloaked Xenophobia aka ignorance Some people were born in the fashion valley mall and apparently never left.

Just spittin some truth yo. If you live in East County enough, your view and perception of whats normal and whats not, starts to fade. Tweakers screaming and fighting with each other starts to become part of life, the weird, dirty, strange and the dumb, also becomes the norm. Big bertha with her missing teeth in her power chair, and skinny dinky boyfriend Cletus are the headscratchers of the day. Unintelligence rules in this neck of woods.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:55 AM

1,082 posts, read 829,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Just spittin some truth yo. If you live in East County enough, your view and perception of whats normal and whats not, starts to fade. Tweakers screaming and fighting with each other starts to become part of life, the weird, dirty, strange and the dumb, also becomes the norm. Big bertha with her missing teeth in her power chair, and skinny dinky boyfriend Cletus are the headscratchers of the day. Unintelligence rules in this neck of woods.
I am beginning to think lack of intelligence is a global problem and not an East County one only. Just turn on the TV....it's embarrassing.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:51 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,627,157 times
Quote:
A fairly accurate post in IMO of how a large portion of San Diego is, and I'm a native here. The stark differences in the people that live in SD say compared to OC and L.A. area is huge. The mentality alone, and how everyone acts like SD is sacred ground and nothing bad exist here is tiresome to hear all the time which we know is overblown.

Anytime I go up to L.A. or OC to see family, I never see hicks, or rednecky types up there like you see here. And again, the reasons for this is that the military brings RURAL MURICA to SD. That is so true btw how rural America has settled here by the thousands. Just seeing how a typical long time San Diegan dresses and acts or even looks vs someone who came here originally from Kansas, the Mid-Westerners typically do not change the way they dress or act. I deal with these types of people on a daily basis and it's surprising how many of them live here and came to SD years ago, but still have kept their traits and habits, and especially their hardcore conservative stances on everything. They let it be known too. Take a look on back on one's truck or car, and see dozens of right wing stickers that's plastered on it.

In OC, the conservatism up there mostly resides from the ultra wealth of it's residents, while in SD, the conservatism is a mixture of both wealth and working class Whites that usually have a military background or family members that do.

It's interesting how OC and many L.A. suburbs are borderline urban in nature with it's high density and grid layout street pattern that stretches miles upon miles long. While SD suburbs can magically disappear into a semi-rural environment where nothing else is around you, not even a light post.
Quote:
agreed once again. I've said over and over that I grew up in East County and what you say is so true. Many people in East County think they live in the Midwest or South with all the "Country girls" and gun loving "cowboys" especially around Lakeside. Santee isn't as bad as Lakeside in my opinion. There's a freaking creation museum in Lakeside along the 67! I've seen more than a few confederate flags too! The military influence is huge in all of San Diego. I hear local commercials with people selling things saying things like "God bless America" and feeding into the nationalistic propaganda. Ex-military politicians are elected to office like Duncan Hunter Jr who says the dumbest things and is a terrible politician. He will keep getting elected because a lot of his constituents buy into all the xenophobic nationalistic crap he says.

Last edited by aboveordinary; 12-03-2015 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-03-2015, 09:59 AM

50,149 posts, read 46,802,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
agreed once again. I've said over and over that I grew up in East County and what you say is so true. Many people in East County think they live in the Midwest or South with all the "Country girls" and gun toting "cowboys" especially around Lakeside. Santee isn't as bad as Lakeside in my opinion. There's a freaking creation museum in Lakeside along the 67! The military influence is huge in all of San Diego. I hear local commercials with people selling things saying things like "God bless America" and feeding into the nationalistic propaganda. Ex-military politicians are elected to office like Duncan Hunter Jr who says the dumbest things and is a terrible politician. He will keep getting elected because a lot of his constituents buy into all the xenophobic nationalistic crap he says.
Define "gun toting". It's now even illegal to unloaded open carry in California. Transportation of any handgun must be in a CA approved locked case. Where exactly are you seeing weapons being "toted"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego