Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:19 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhox99 View Post
I've been in San Diego 9 months, and I have decided that San Diegans have poor taste in pizza. I have heard raving reviews about Bronx and Luigis, but I just wasn't thrilled with either. Let me be clear- I have never had a pizza that I actively disliked, but these two just seemed so boring to me. It seems everyone in this town is obsessed with ultra-thin crust. Just not my cup of tea.

For cheap carry-out pizza, the best I have had is D'Angelos in North Park/University Heights area. Relatively unknown, it seems. But their plain pepperoni pizza is just good.

My other favorite is at another little-known place up in the Carmel Mountain area. O'harleys Brewhouse has the best pepperoni that I have had so far in San Diego.

Woodstock's is another solid option. Their wheat crust is delicious
Yes, most people I know prefer the thin crust variety. I'm definitely not a fan of deep dish. Berkeley Pizza is about as deep dish as I'll go. And I could say the same thing about your taste in pizza if you liked D'Angelo's. It's been years since I've been there, but I remember their pizza being doughy and soggy. I'll take Bronx, Luigi's or Lefty's over that anyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:24 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

Not a fan at all of neapolitan style pizza--at least not the ones here in San Diego...some of the highest rates ones (not by me) I think are vastly overrated. This includes Isola, Monello's, Bruno's, and the worst of the bunch which closed late last year was Pizzeria Mozza--was easily the most overpriced, overrated, overhyped pizza I have ever eaten in my life. Buon Forcheta is good for its entrees--their pizza is OK but does not have me lighting up a cigarette afterwards.
Don't most highly regarded places disappoint? Last time I was in NYC, I finally made it Joe's Pizza on Carmine St. expecting their slices to blow me away. I left thinking.....Meh.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:01 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Yes, most people I know prefer the thin crust variety. I'm definitely not a fan of deep dish. Berkeley Pizza is about as deep dish as I'll go. And I could say the same thing about your taste in pizza if you liked D'Angelo's. It's been years since I've been there, but I remember their pizza being doughy and soggy. I'll take Bronx, Luigi's or Lefty's over that anyday.
Lefty's in SD (great local owner) is Chicago style, but was better than deep dish I had in Chicago last year at 'famed' Lou Malnati's which was a soupy meh and not highest quality tasting ingredients...

Old 03-13-2015, 03:39 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
You should get to Brooklyn and away from the tourists in Manhattan if you can--Paulie Gee's and Di Fara are quite good. To show I am fair minded and not "all NY Pizza is the best", Lucali (also in Brooklyn) opened up a location in Miami Beach which is the 'rave' there and I thought the pizza sucked and lacked flavor.

Now, if you are ever in the mood for a burger in Mahattan (for the flavor of the meat, by itself) you owe it to yourself to check out NoMad Bar or Minetta Tavern (need to call a month in advance for a reservation here).

Quote:
Don't most highly regarded places disappoint? Last time I was in NYC, I finally made it Joe's Pizza on Carmine St. expecting their slices to blow me away. I left thinking.....Meh.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:18 PM

^ Forget New Yawk, New Jersey and You, Perfect Together (said with accent by ex-Gov Tom Kean)

Old 03-13-2015, 05:03 PM

70 posts, read 100,869 times
Quote:
Haha give it another shot!

I am a big fan of bread, so ultra-thin crust just bores me. I wouldn't say I am a fan of deep dish either. By deep dish, I mean the TRUE CHicago-style deep dish that has 2 pounds of sauce per slice. But I like a thicker crust for sure. Something close to Pizza Huts pan pizza.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Lefty's in SD (great local owner) is Chicago style, but was better than deep dish I had in Chicago last year at 'famed' Lou Malnati's which was a soupy meh and not highest quality tasting ingredients...
When you're in Chicago, go to Pizzeria Due. Malnati's is a halfway decent imitation.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:16 PM

^ How's Burt's Place, LS?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:01 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
We're excited to try the new URBN coal-fired pizza that just opened in downtown Encinitas, in the former Giovanni's/Encinitas Pizza Company location. It's quite a shot across the bow of our fave Blue Ribbon, which is right across the street. Survival of the fittest, I guess.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:36 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
We're excited to try the new URBN coal-fired pizza that just opened in downtown Encinitas, in the former Giovanni's/Encinitas Pizza Company location. It's quite a shot across the bow of our fave Blue Ribbon, which is right across the street. Survival of the fittest, I guess.
We will be near Encinitas this weekend for a Baseball Tournament, i'll have to stop in and check them out
Edit:
Best Pizza in NYC is in the Bronx
Emilio's Pizza in the Bronx Kept me broke when i lived there

Last edited by hitman619; 03-20-2015 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego