U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 PM

190 posts, read 190,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
For SENTRI, your record has to be squeaky clean and it also depends on your income and of course who interviews you.

A DUI on your record will disqualify you from the SENTRI program and the logic behind disqualifying for low income is that you are more "corruptible" if you don't have a good job to lose as a result of trafficking.
I haven't heard of anyone finally getting to the interview and then being denied. I've certainly heard of people being denied without interview, failing the background checks.

For what it's worth, my interview at Otay was more like an instruction on how to use the program, photograph and fingerprinting. Was never asked about income, although I'm certain the background checks before interview look into this. I went for Global Entry. They've all but merged Sentri/Nexus/Global Entry anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM

8,846 posts, read 12,557,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjimbob View Post
I haven't heard of anyone finally getting to the interview and then being denied. I've certainly heard of people being denied without interview, failing the background checks.

For what it's worth, my interview at Otay was more like an instruction on how to use the program, photograph and fingerprinting. Was never asked about income, although I'm certain the background checks before interview look into this. I went for Global Entry. They've all but merged Sentri/Nexus/Global Entry anyway.
I applied, had my interview the end of June, and was denied.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:39 PM

17,420 posts, read 14,051,262 times
Quote:
For SENTRI, your record has to be squeaky clean and it also depends on your income and of course who interviews you.

A DUI on your record will disqualify you from the SENTRI program and the logic behind disqualifying for low income is that you are more "corruptible" if you don't have a good job to lose as a result of trafficking.
Ya but the felony you face is going to be there regardless. That would be enough for me.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM

1,283 posts, read 516,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
They have recently changed the system to an automated scan (passport) system. One of the big problems coming back into the US by foot, was; the customs officer scanning, asking if you have anything to declare etc. It made those lines tedious, especially on Sunday evenings.

This new scan system dramatically reduces the time. Getting a SENTRI pass ( not for the OP necessarily) is like getting a fast pass at Disneyland. In and out.
Nice to know they changed it for the better. I have Global Entry, which also has a SENTRI pass on it. It's like night and day, no waiting at all. It's well worth the money.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM

8,846 posts, read 12,557,840 times
I had to provide proof of income, a rent receipt, plus the registration and insurance for my vehicle. The officer didn't like the fact that I only carry copies in my vehicle, rather than the originals. Nevertheless, I was denied. I appealed it online, and never heard back from them, but I'll appeal it with a supervisor toward the end of the year.

I have no felonies or misdemeanors, I'm just low income, thanks to www.sandi.net.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM

1,283 posts, read 516,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It hasn't really changed any, and takes just as much time. The only difference is that your card is scanned in advance, but you still have to advance in the line to a customs officer that asks what you're bringing back from Mexico today.

Getting a SENTRI pass isn't easy, also, and they'll turn you down at the drop of a hat for no reason at all.
A bit off topic, but get a Global Entry. It's faster (not sure about easier) and includes the SENTRI.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 807,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
A bit off topic, but get a Global Entry. It's faster (not sure about easier) and includes the SENTRI.
I heard you can also use that one at San Diego Lindbergh Airport as well as the border to avoid lines. Where do they interview you and how much faster is it at the airport?

Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 PM

190 posts, read 190,390 times
The airport program is TSA precheck. SAN doesn't have it, but most other US airports do, and it's great. No shoes off, no laptop or liquids out, and no nudey scope scan. I've only tried it at Boston and Chicago where there was no wait vs. about a 15-20 min normal wait.

Moved, that really sucks. I'd have definitely been more aggressive with appealing.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:39 PM

363 posts, read 395,004 times
I've heard precheck will be coming to San Diego on September 5th for terminal 2. Let's hope so as it is an amazing program.

SENTRI is a separate application process from Global Entry though it is easier if you have global entry but you still need to do an interview and pay the additional fee in addition to getting the special card with the RFID and setting up your vehicle.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 PM

64 posts, read 108,332 times
Wow, that is interesting. Do they ask for tax returns? I am self employed. Any idea how that affects the application? Can a person reapply if they are denied?

Thanks!

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego