Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:57 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. Do people from LA or anywhere in the state use the term Cali?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
In NYC, Little Italy isn't very Italian any more, despite the shops like Ferrara's Bakery. It's probably analogous and similar, demographically, to SF's North Beach - being next door to Chinatown, it's now majority Asian.

In Brooklyn, there are traditional Italian neighborhoods like Bensonhurst, Dyker Heights, and Carroll Gardens, but the Italian population is slowing dying out. You'll probably find more Asian immigrants and other groups in these neighborhoods as well.

Arthur Avenue in the Bronx is NYC's real deal Little Italy, not the bad touristy one in Manhattan.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
It's like anything, as time goes on, new generations become less and less aware of their ancestors and become assimilated into the new culture. There are still many pseudo "italian, irish, german, etc but most are just 'italian' in name. It's like the "jersey shore' cast and people acting like idiots. These days the new immigrants are more asian, russian, latin american and in a few spots, Indians from India. And the new kids are still connected to their culture. Whereas A 1/10th Italian 22 year old whose family came to NYC in the 1800s probably has no clue about their history and probably doesn't really care to either.

When you grow up in that world, take over a family business and try to keep your roots, the culture tends to stick around. But if most of the kids grow up and leave, have kids that are far away from those neighborhoods and family, you lose that culture. Do that over a few generations and suddenly most of the culture is just something you say, not something you really are.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 PM

43 posts, read 61,193 times
thanks so much for the advise

Old 09-10-2013, 10:22 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Good question. I've never met anyone who did, face-to-face or on C-D. Hmmmm.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
There are always a few people who, annoyingly, use it. Mostly, no.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:37 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post

Thanks Cruitr - who knew? We Italians do get around . . .

. . . and sorry if my previous post seemed to equate the presence/absence of a Little Italy as a sign of a strong Italian culture . . .I was only acknowledging that SD has one and might lead some to assume that means a lot of Italians . . . or that Italians have not migrated to the suburbs as their collective wealth has increased . . . sometimes keeping but often abandoning their older neighborhoods to new immigrants . . .

I actually have a simple test for the strength of Italian culture in any given place . . .and it would work for 90% of cultures around the world . . .but can only be tested every 4 years . . .watch the streets after Italy wins a World Cup match . . .

Old 09-12-2013, 03:41 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Arthur Avenue in the Bronx is NYC's real deal Little Italy, not the bad touristy one in Manhattan.
As a NYer I can vouch for that but even that area has been gentrified.

If it helps I look italian and feel rather out of place in San Diego for it but I like the city regardless.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:29 PM

43 posts, read 61,193 times
To answer the person who made a comment about me using the term Cali yes I was born and raised in Brent wood near Beverly hills and yes my friends and I use that term. So what's the issue with it? and for all the others with great advise thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego