U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: 92037
4,630 posts, read 9,557,962 times
Reputation: 1947

Advertisements

San Diego High Schools

California is home to more than 600 schools ranked among the U.S. News Best High Schools in 2013.
To be eligible for a state ranking, a school must be awarded a national gold or silver medal.
San Diego high schools that made the Top 200:
4. Preuss
25. Torrey Pines
31. Canyon Crest
34. Westview
37. La Jolla
52. San Dieguito
65. Scripps Ranch
79. Poway
90. Rancho Bernardo
102. San Pasqual
106. University City
124. Mt. Carmel
126. Patrick Henry
136. Eastlake
155. El Camino
159. Carlsbad
168. Helix
177. Mira Mesa
179. San Marcos


San Diego High Schools | bubbleinfo.com


Top California High Schools | Best High Schools | US News




Any thoughts on this? Does this seem somewhat accurate? Interesting to see Helix up there considering its charter status.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 PM
 
Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 721,409 times
Reputation: 381
I'll be the first to admit that the way schools are ranked and stacked against each other boggels my mind.

The Helix one jumped out at me too - especially since that was one of the neighborhoods we looked at initially . . .then we moved our search east to be in Valhalla's watershed because my research led me to believe it was a better school.

According to the details of this survey, Helix has an API of 786 and a "College Readiness Index" of 36.2, and is ranked #168. Valhalla has an API of 810 and a "CRI" of 30.7 - and
didn't even make the cut to get ranked! WTF?

A read of their methodology might shed some light on that (my bold):

Step 1: The first step determined whether each school's students were performing better than statistically expected for the average student in the state. We started by looking at reading and math results for all students on each state's high school proficiency tests.

We then factored in the percentage of economically disadvantaged students (who tend to score lower) enrolled at the school to identify the schools that were performing better than statistical expectations.

• Step 2: For those schools that made it past this first step, the second step determined whether the school's least-advantaged students (black, Hispanic and low-income) were performing better than average for similar students in the state.
We compared each school's math and reading proficiency rates for disadvantaged students with the statewide results for these student groups and then selected schools that were performing better than this state average.

• Step 3: Schools that made it through the first two steps became eligible to be judged nationally on the final step – college-readiness performance – using Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate test data as the benchmarks for success, depending on which program was largest at the school.


mmmmm . . .not sure, but this methodology would seem to penalize schools with relatively low numbers of disadvantaged students, unless they are hitting it out of the park . . .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Santaluz - San Diego, CA
4,485 posts, read 8,771,592 times
Reputation: 1977
I agree with you sschibuola that the way they compile some of these lists aren't always fair. But it's GREAT to see so many local schools on the list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 PM
 
Location: La Mesa Aka The Table
8,886 posts, read 9,597,665 times
Reputation: 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
I'll be the first to admit that the way schools are ranked and stacked against each other boggels my mind.

The Helix one jumped out at me too - especially since that was one of the neighborhoods we looked at initially . . .then we moved our search east to be in Valhalla's watershed because my research led me to believe it was a better school.

According to the details of this survey, Helix has an API of 786 and a "College Readiness Index" of 36.2, and is ranked #168. Valhalla has an API of 810 and a "CRI" of 30.7 - and
didn't even make the cut to get ranked! WTF?

A read of their methodology might shed some light on that (my bold):

Step 1: The first step determined whether each school's students were performing better than statistically expected for the average student in the state. We started by looking at reading and math results for all students on each state's high school proficiency tests.

We then factored in the percentage of economically disadvantaged students (who tend to score lower) enrolled at the school to identify the schools that were performing better than statistical expectations.

• Step 2: For those schools that made it past this first step, the second step determined whether the school's least-advantaged students (black, Hispanic and low-income) were performing better than average for similar students in the state.
We compared each school's math and reading proficiency rates for disadvantaged students with the statewide results for these student groups and then selected schools that were performing better than this state average.

• Step 3: Schools that made it through the first two steps became eligible to be judged nationally on the final step – college-readiness performance – using Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate test data as the benchmarks for success, depending on which program was largest at the school.


mmmmm . . .not sure, but this methodology would seem to penalize schools with relatively low numbers of disadvantaged students, unless they are hitting it out of the park . . .
Yep! Helix feeds from 2 Lower Income Areas and yet still Performs at the top.
It's all a credit to The Teachers and Principal at Helix.The administration At helix does not play around when it comes to academics.They Did and always will make People from all backgrounds pull their Weight Academically.I wish i could of sent my daughter and son to Helix to be Truthful.My daughter attends Patrick Henry and my Son Graduated from Torrey Pines last year and now is a freshman at Arizona St.
Both Schools in the Top 200
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2013, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Bonita, CA
1,297 posts, read 1,796,169 times
Reputation: 1663
These must be all public schools, I don't see:

St Augustine in North Park
Army Navy Academy in Carlsbad
Our Lady of Peace in Normal Heights
Bishops in La Jolla
Cathedral in Del Mar
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2013, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Orlando
220 posts, read 379,027 times
Reputation: 230
Wow - that is a pretty impressive list and SD should be proud. I would like the top schools in my area of Orlando but for some reason they are not listed in US News :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Poway
1,393 posts, read 2,453,348 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
These must be all public schools, I don't see:

St Augustine in North Park
Army Navy Academy in Carlsbad
Our Lady of Peace in Normal Heights
Bishops in La Jolla
Cathedral in Del Mar
They probably were included but didn't make the cut due to the criteria of being a 'top school' by this report. See sschibuola's post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
Wow - that is a pretty impressive list and SD should be proud. I would like the top schools in my area of Orlando but for some reason they are not listed in US News :-)
I think the # next to the name is for California (I think). Click the link that Shmooz provided and you will see a complete list. I'm sure Orlando has some schools in there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 AM
 
191 posts, read 424,578 times
Reputation: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
I'll be the first to admit that the way schools are ranked and stacked against each other boggels my mind.

The Helix one jumped out at me too - especially since that was one of the neighborhoods we looked at initially . . .then we moved our search east to be in Valhalla's watershed because my research led me to believe it was a better school.

According to the details of this survey, Helix has an API of 786 and a "College Readiness Index" of 36.2, and is ranked #168. Valhalla has an API of 810 and a "CRI" of 30.7 - and
didn't even make the cut to get ranked! WTF?

A read of their methodology might shed some light on that (my bold):

Step 1: The first step determined whether each school's students were performing better than statistically expected for the average student in the state. We started by looking at reading and math results for all students on each state's high school proficiency tests.

We then factored in the percentage of economically disadvantaged students (who tend to score lower) enrolled at the school to identify the schools that were performing better than statistical expectations.

• Step 2: For those schools that made it past this first step, the second step determined whether the school's least-advantaged students (black, Hispanic and low-income) were performing better than average for similar students in the state.
We compared each school's math and reading proficiency rates for disadvantaged students with the statewide results for these student groups and then selected schools that were performing better than this state average.

• Step 3: Schools that made it through the first two steps became eligible to be judged nationally on the final step – college-readiness performance – using Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate test data as the benchmarks for success, depending on which program was largest at the school.


mmmmm . . .not sure, but this methodology would seem to penalize schools with relatively low numbers of disadvantaged students, unless they are hitting it out of the park . . .
We stopped looking in Mt Helix because of the schools, also. The neighborhood is gorgeous with some amazing views. But the schools are awful, supposedly. This seems typical of all the neighborhoods I love (we abhor beige box subdivisions and HOA's).

But, I think that it is a good thing that they include the number of disadvantage students in their rankings. That really is the sign of a great school if they can take poor kids with horrible home lives and still get them to perform as well as the upper class kids who have a mommy and daddy who make sure they have all the academic and life support they need to excel at school. Studies are clear that homelife is the greatest predictor to academic success, not school quality.

I get the feeling that instead of celebrating low income schools that do well, many residents are instead upset, and can't believe that their beloved high income schools were beat out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 10:12 AM
 
Location: San Diego CA>Tijuana, BC>San Antonio, TX
5,318 posts, read 5,494,089 times
Reputation: 5169
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
We stopped looking in Mt Helix because of the schools, also. The neighborhood is gorgeous with some amazing views. But the schools are awful, supposedly. This seems typical of all the neighborhoods I love (we abhor beige box subdivisions and HOA's).
Will you look at Helix again now that you've seen the list? I think some people put way too much emphasis sometimes on school district when deciding where they will buy a home. Like I said on another thread, the school can only do so much for the kid and it really takes a collaboration between school and parent involvement to motivate a child into a love of learning. Public grade school districts don't make it onto resumes when they get older, college/universities do.

Nonetheless it is great to see so many schools on the list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 12:02 PM
 
788 posts, read 1,742,726 times
Reputation: 698
There is another aspect of the rankings that is somewhat flawed. For example, looking at San Marcos High, one would think that it should be ranked fairly high given its high performance on CA state testing (11th in the county- 7th last year) despite its less favorable demographics (large numbers of socioeconomically disadvantaged and lower performing "minorities"). Yet, all ethnic subgroups are among the highest performing in the county. For instance, SM's African American test scores are as high as Westview's caucasian test scores. SM caucasian scores are 2nd highest in the county (even though the group is not overly advantaged)

However, for the last ranking, SM schools are at a disadvantage because of SM Unified's different district policy when it comes to AP courses. In order to be in the AP class, you are required to take the AP test to get a weighted grade. Almost every other school district in the county gives you the weighted grade regardless of the test. So basically, students (likely at the lower end of the grade scale), who are taking AP classes can opt out of the test, while still reaping the rewards of a higher GPA- ultimately boosting the pass rate of their school. If the bottom range of students isn't taking the test, it's going to affect the passing rate tremendously. Ultimately, they are only testing the most prepared and higher performing students.

SM High has a higher participation in "gifted and talented programs" than San Dieguito. Yet, San Dieguito is much higher on the list despite the fact that San Marcos has higher test scores overall and in each demographic category (a lot higher) .

It's flawed if you are only testing the best students in each AP class. SM tests all students.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top