Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:24 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have any personal experience with contractors that specialize in Epoxy flooring for the garage? I started to do a bit of due diligence but surprisingly I didn't find too many in San Diego that specializes in them and prices are ALL over the place.

Even on AngiesList on the testimonials they are plagued with some warnings from people that ask for a price quote per sq. foot without having them come out vs. having them come out because they up charge the estimate based on if you live in a nice area or not.

I never cared about the garage before but now I'm renovating it and making it nicer. I'd like to add epoxy, waterproof flooring.

I'd appreciate any referrals or personal experiences you might have. For example, who did you use? How much was it cost per sq. foot, were you happy with the job they did?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 09:36 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
I was at the Coronado Speed Festival this afternoon, which by the way is a cool thing to do this weekend if interested. There was a company there called Garage Envy . Garageenvy.com to be exact. I was talking to them about doing the same thing and "pimping out" my garage. They didn't want to get into quotes and it sounds like they really want to come out and do an estimate and get you interested in cabinets and tool chests as well...the whole remodel.

I've talked to handymen that say that would do it for 500 plus supplies. I know this is something I can do myself but i am so lazy and my time is golden to me. I may get up the gumption to do it in a few months when the weather cools off a little more and the garage isn't 100+ degrees. A ver.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I was at the Coronado Speed Festival this afternoon, which by the way is a cool thing to do this weekend if interested. There was a company there called Garage Envy . Garageenvy.com to be exact. I was talking to them about doing the same thing and "pimping out" my garage. They didn't want to get into quotes and it sounds like they really want to come out and do an estimate and get you interested in cabinets and tool chests as well...the whole remodel.

I've talked to handymen that say that would do it for 500 plus supplies. I know this is something I can do myself but i am so lazy and my time is golden to me. I may get up the gumption to do it in a few months when the weather cools off a little more and the garage isn't 100+ degrees. A ver.
Thanks echo. Yeah, I read about them on AngiesList. They don't have too many reviews. But then again, none of the service providers do which surprised me. I thought when doing my due diligence there would be FAR more vendors out there or people that posted reviews but nope.

The general complaints about them seem to be that they don't want to quote anything over the phone based on sq. feet. Someone said they look at how nice your neighborhood is and the nicer the neighborhood the more the quote is. I'm not sure if that is true or not.

I'll contact them for a quote. I'm not sure I need them to do the full cabinets, etc. I have California Closets coming out this week to give me a full budget. They did an amazing job with custom cabinets in my house. Not cheap but they did a great job. But I'll get a quote from Garage Envy as well. But I wish these vendors would just give a quote per sq. feet. The prices are drastically different asking some people that have had it done.

Yeah, I plan to "pimp out" my garage now that I have the new EV. And today I just ordered the Model X as well. So figure I gotta get my garage nicer.. LOL.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Echo,

Just an FYI. This company was recommended on another forum that I post on.

Perkins Custom Coatings, Serving San Diego, Orange, Imperial & Riverside California Counties, It?s Not Epoxy, Its SpartaFlex!

You might also want to check them out. I'm going to call them for a quote as well. Let me know if you come across any other possibilities. I called Garage Envy to come out for a quote as well.

This SpartaFlex looks pretty great! http://www.perkinscustomcoatings.com/spartaflex/faq.php

15 year warranty and it looks like the company has been around for about 40 years.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
ER, let us know how that goes. I was curious about getting this for our garage at some point.

Man, you are pimping that house out!

Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
ER, let us know how that goes. I was curious about getting this for our garage at some point.

Man, you are pimping that house out!

I'll keep you posted as always.

Ha, ha. Yeah. You know my wife is TIRED of all these various renovations I've done but she is VERY excited about getting the garage organized. She asked me for a while to maybe do that but since I never spent any time in the garage before I thought it was a waste of money. LOL.

Now with the new car(s) I figure they deserve a good "home". It should be pretty amazing when it's done. I'll post some before and after photos of the garage once it's done.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,278 times
Can't give you SD recommendations, ER, but I can vouch that an epoxy-coated garage floor is nice to have. We have one in our now-rental property in San Clemente - I don't know if it's just psychological, but it just seems to keep the whole garage cleaner. It's on our LONG-TERM list of upgrades here in SD, but plenty of other items ahead of it!

One thing to ask when you talk to a contractor - ours was REALLY slippery (the floor, not the contractor) when it got wet - don't know if that's with all of them, or the installer failed to do a "light sanding/gritting" or similar job at the end . . .

Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
Can't give you SD recommendations, ER, but I can vouch that an epoxy-coated garage floor is nice to have. We have one in our now-rental property in San Clemente - I don't know if it's just psychological, but it just seems to keep the whole garage cleaner. It's on our LONG-TERM list of upgrades here in SD, but plenty of other items ahead of it!

One thing to ask when you talk to a contractor - ours was REALLY slippery (the floor, not the contractor) when it got wet - don't know if that's with all of them, or the installer failed to do a "light sanding/gritting" or similar job at the end . . .

Yeah, I don't want the slippery one. That's why this new one I posted about (Spartaflex) sounds good as it sounds thicker than the typical epoxy and it says it's non-slip.

I have to say this Garage Envy is VERY responsive. I called them a few hours ago and they are coming today to my house at 2 PM for a quote and visit. The other company said their scheduler doesn't get here until this afternoon and they will call. I'll have them come out this week.

I have California Closets coming out on Wednesday.

So I hope to sign a contract with one of them by end of week and start. I don't mess around! LOL.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 PM

So I just spent several hours with Garage Envy and I have to say they are REALLY responsive. I just called them earlier today and they had someone at my house by 2 PM right on time. Jan that came out was really nice. She took measurements and showed tons of samples. They do it all.

echo, she said their set up in Coronado was pretty slick. I had NO idea people spent this much money on their garages! I originally just wanted to get the epoxy flooring and some cabinets but by the time she left I was asking her for work benches, cabinets, storage, custom bicycle racks for 4 bikes, and other things.

They have this program where you can pretty much just see what you want and they can add it on the computer. It's like the custom cabinet program we used when we did our closets. This stuff ain't cheap! By the time she was done it was like $15k in stuff.

But definitely they are NOT the place to get epoxy flooring. The price per sq. foot they charge is way too much. It's clear to me they specialize and make their money in all the other stuff they do. The flooring has to be low margin for them and they must purposely mark it way up.

Just doing due diligence I could already tell approximate costs. Their price for their lowest end epoxy flooring was $4.50 per sq. feet. And their highest end one (which is the one I liked) was a whopping $9 per sq. feet. No way I'm spending that kind of money as my garage is 800 sq. ft. She said that price includes the labor, installation/materials and sales tax.

No way it should cost that much. Plus the rub is their warranty on the flooring is only 1 year. On the Perkin's website it says their warranty is a whopping 15 years. I called her out on that and she told me that Perkins is VERY good and that they have quality products and do a great job. She wasn't going to lie which I respected and she even said they will definitely beat her on price.

Perkin's never called me back today so they don't sound as hungry for the business like Garage Envy is. Hopefully they call tomorrow as I already know what I want. Garage Envy seems like a really high end outfit. They had slick brochures that looked expensive. They also do Jay Leno's garage. There were a lot of promotional pieces with Jay Leno in them with photos of his garage.

I'll still give Garage Envy a chance but I have California Closets coming out this week to quote on the job as well. But for those of you looking for Epoxy flooring it sounds like Perkins is where it's at.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:24 PM

86 posts, read 153,365 times
My real estate agent recommended a couple handy guys to help us unpack our belongings after we moved to San Diego. They recommended to do an Epoxy flooring in our garage and they quoted $400 plus supplies. This was 2 years ago.

ER, to help you gauge from a pricing perspective alone, it was $400 + supplies, but since we didn't use them, I can't recommend them to you as I have no idea the quality of their work. Price point only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego