Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM

31 posts, read 89,270 times

Advertisements

What do people think... What's the best place to be buying right now for a family of 4 (two young kids), not a huge amount to spend on a house? Both in terms of great place to live now, but also okay resale value later?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,268 times
That is one of the most often asked questions on this forum. Frequent replies typically include 'what is your budget?', 'where will you work?', etc.

Poke around here and use the search feature. Please be more specific in what you are looking for and what you would be willing to do without (e.g., beach front view, commute).

I'm not trying to be rude, but helpful.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 PM

31 posts, read 89,270 times
Trust me, I have looked. I am a consummate lurker. Just wondering what people think of those three places, disregarding commute or beaches or anything (but if you really want to know I love heat and sun, so am leaning away from Mira Mesa, but trying to stay objective). Really just 1. good for families 2. resale value. I.e. is it worth it to buy in San Marcos because it's cheaper or will that bite you long term when you want to sell?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 PM

358 posts, read 583,961 times
I don't think you can go wrong with either of areas. I think all 3 will not be too shabby for resale. I think both Mira Mesa and San Marcos are going through a transformation. San Marcos is transforming because they're starting to build a lot more expensive houses. So, it brings up the median income as well as the schools. As for Mira Mesa, I think as gas price gets more expensive and San Diego gets more congested, people will want to live closer to work and Sorrento Valley is one of the biggest work center in San Diego. Now that Qualcomm is going gang buster and the biotech in UTC area is going full steam ahead. You can see by all the high rises popping up around that area. As for Poway, I'm not as nearly optimistic. It has the PUSD cache that people want for a long time, as long as their test score doesn't change), but I don't see a catalyst for the area to transform like San Marcos and Mira Mesa.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Agree that San Marcos has the best opportunity to grow, and borders Carlsbad, will attract affluence.

Poway is the exclusive, close-in job center with great schools. It will hold and grow affluence, although slowly.

Mira Mesa will grow the most in raw numbers, will build and rebuild condos, new rental housing close to the 15, but the single-family areas and general demo will gentrify very slowly, i.e. over 10+ years. I don't see affluence but a move-up area, so prices need to stay down. It's workforce housing for engineers making 90k.

Scripps Ranch will always siphon off the lux and move-ups, leaving Mira Mesa with rehabber, flipper, starter buyers who will favor the larger and nicer homes on the periphery of the mesa vs. the clairemont-like tracts that make up the majority of the 'hood.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,539,106 times
Hey O.P.!
We Can not Help you,unless you answer futbol questions.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,557 times
All three are a relatively safe bet. San Marcos probably has the most potential for growth because:

1. Cal State San Marcos currently has less than half of the expected student population at buildout. This is definitely going to drive up home values, in addition to keeping them relatively stable during downturns.
2. progressive/forward thinking city council. A lot of great city planning projects in the works- Creek District and University Village currently underway.
3. Good location that is central in North County, with great weather. I also see larger employment centers in North County's future due to the university and airport. According to SANDAG smart growth projections, San Marcos is the only place in North County with potential to create an urban center.
4. Definitely cushioned by more nice/affluent areas. SM is lucky that the nicer neighborhoods of adjacent cities are on their border (and in some cases, feed their schools). This include parts of Shadowridge, Buena Creek, La Costa, Carrillo Ranch, and Harmony Grove,etc. San Marcos also has a large number of potential new construction estate homes, which will improve the city overall.
5. Last time I checked, only ~80% of the city is built out. They are also very proactive about rehabbing older properties

Old 09-24-2013, 05:05 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
San Marcos has the most important factor for growth in San Diego County - vacant land.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:12 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
All three are a relatively safe bet. San Marcos probably has the most potential for growth because:

1. Cal State San Marcos currently has less than half of the expected student population at buildout. This is definitely going to drive up home values, in addition to keeping them relatively stable during downturns.
2. progressive/forward thinking city council. A lot of great city planning projects in the works- Creek District and University Village currently underway.
3. Good location that is central in North County, with great weather. I also see larger employment centers in North County's future due to the university and airport. According to SANDAG smart growth projections, San Marcos is the only place in North County with potential to create an urban center.
4. Definitely cushioned by more nice/affluent areas. SM is lucky that the nicer neighborhoods of adjacent cities are on their border (and in some cases, feed their schools). This include parts of Shadowridge, Buena Creek, La Costa, Carrillo Ranch, and Harmony Grove,etc. San Marcos also has a large number of potential new construction estate homes, which will improve the city overall.
5. Last time I checked, only ~80% of the city is built out. They are also very proactive about rehabbing older properties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
San Marcos has the most important factor for growth in San Diego County - vacant land.

This. Funny as I was just talking about this very topic at lunch today with AZ2SD and Shmoov. We were commenting how San Marcos has a lot of potential for growth. Lately I keep hearing more and more about that area and also have met recently with people that are looking to buy in the area or have bought recently. Or friends of friends that are looking in that area.

Like much of the desirable areas of San Diego, property prices have moved up there quite a bit in the past 2 years. A few years ago you could get a 4 bedroom house in a good hood in the $400's and now it seems like it's moved up to the $600 range. Maybe AZ2SD will post some of his thoughts. He always has great info on that area.

Personally I think that area has tremendous potential for growth for the reasons listed above. And the reasons are spot on target.

I can literally be from my door to the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center there in San Marcos in 25 minutes. Unless there is some accident or it's raining it's a quick commute.

That area should continue to grow and quality of life from what I hear is very high.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,522 times
I am in very similar situation as OP.
I work in Carlsbad with 100k household income. The most important thing for us is good education for our 3 yr old daugther. We prefer to live in Carlsbad but housing is a bit on the high side. So we are currently looking at San Marcos.
Any suggestion on other area we should look at?

Thank you!

Last edited by killianss; 09-24-2013 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego