Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,615 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to SD which would be great. The only real concern we have is the lack of seasons. We love fall. Is there any feeling of fall in San Diego? Any grey cloudy days, color on any trees, leaves anywhere on the ground? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Fall here is usually sunny, dry, clear skies and cool (60) at night. With the occasional Santa Ana Winds (warm offshore winds blowing from the northeast) and a wildfire or two to keep in interesting.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,068 times
My large deciduous shade tree does not lose its leaves until January. It does not put on a show of color. The leaves turned yellowish brown and fall off. There is some color change in San Diego but it tends to come later and it is not the dramatic change you get in the north east. I lived in Ohio as a girl and remember the gorgeous fall colors and crunching through the leaves on the sidewalks when I was walking to school. It is not like that here.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Drive up to Laguna mountains or Julian in less than 1 hours to get your dose of a more proper autumn, and when fulfilled, return to the ideal climate of SD.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:55 AM

210 posts, read 412,181 times
Fall is like summer, but a little bit cooler by 7 degrees. Fall is like winter, but a little warmer by 7 degrees. Fall is like spring, but with more pumpkin porters and people walking around in costumes.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Drive up to Laguna mountains or Julian in less than 1 hours to get your dose of a more proper autumn, and when fulfilled, return to the ideal climate of SD.
Agreed, but get an apple pie and a loaf of nut bread at Santa Ysabel on your way back!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,068 times
There is no where that you can drive to around here that compares to the fall in the north east. It is not the glorious experience I had in Ohio as a girl. I have not seen falls like that since my parents moved. I've lived in AZ, Southern CA and Sacramento and none of them compare to the Ohio falls. I have driven to local mountains and it does not compare.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:55 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
No there isnt anything to compare with a proper 4 season climate. We dont have the same trees, foliage etc here.

But as bloom said, you can go up the hill to My Laguna or Julian where there is more foliage and color (than sea level SD), get your feel for autumn and just head back down for our ideal climate.
There are hints of it here and there, but if your 'main concern' is not having 4 seasons the way you like them, then you might want to consider the trade offs.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalhoun777 View Post
We may be moving to SD which would be great. The only real concern we have is the lack of seasons. We love fall. Is there any feeling of fall in San Diego? Any grey cloudy days, color on any trees, leaves anywhere on the ground? Thanks!
I was bon and raised in So California and went to SDSU. Believe me, the fall change is so slight, you would never notice it. Anyone that tells you differently has never really seen fall come in. Oh, the days and nights will be a little cooler and you might find a maple tree here and there, but, San Diego has about the most even seasons of anywhere we have lived.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
There is no where that you can drive to around here that compares to the fall in the north east. It is not the glorious experience I had in Ohio as a girl. I have not seen falls like that since my parents moved. I've lived in AZ, Southern CA and Sacramento and none of them compare to the Ohio falls. I have driven to local mountains and it does not compare.
Not only the northeast, but the atlantic coast period, from No Va and beyond. We do have the same colors here in NWAR because of the Ozarks, but not quite as brilliant as New England. We have about the same fall you had in Ohio. You are right, even the mountains do not compare. Sacramento would be the closest, even it isn't like the east.

I think a good part of this has to do with the type of trees that do well in certain regions of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego