Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,984 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have received an assignment from my client at San-Diego and I have to travel there on H1B Visa. Before accepting the assignment, I need some information regarding the living style there.

I would appreciate if anyone can let me know about the following:

1. What is the approx cost of leaving in San-Diego (for a family of 2)?

2. What is the approx house rent we have to pay there if I take a standard house (may be 1 bed room house)?

3. How much we have to spend on food and other regular expenses?

4. How much we have to pay for monthly medical insurance?

5. What is the mode for commutation from residence to office? Is there any public transport available there or we have to take our own vechile for that? Again if we have to take it, then what is the approx monthly rent we have to pay? Is it advisable to take a car on rent or to buy a car there?

6. What is the Tax structure in San-Diego? How much we have to pay as Income tax?

7. How safe is the place?

Thanks in advance.
Rash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 05:28 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Plenty of other post can answer your questions.
-Cost of living here is much higher than the national average-$47,067 county average.
-Rent about 1030 for 1 and 1 in a decent area
-We spend about 150 a week for a family of 4 with cards at Vons and Ralphs,plus coupons;SD aint cheep
-Public transport sucks in San Diego,but a lot of people use it.
-SD gets a good rep for being safe,but there is always a robbery,auto theft every minute,exhaust theft,ect ect.We do have a really low homicide rate though.I really don't know why.
Once again what part of SD are you moving to?Things vary for diffrent areas/cities.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:59 PM

25 posts, read 109,966 times
the best place to get an idea of what you may where you may want to rent would be to know the area you plan to work and go for about a 5 mile radius (tops... if you plan to drive), and then check out craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums or www.backpage.sandiego.com for ideas of how much you would spend for your style of housing. We're a family of two living in Rancho Bernardo and we pay about 1200/month for a nice & spacious one bedroom. However, if we were to start our lease in Jan we would be paying about 1050/month. Also, you want to be near a major highway if you plan to commute. If you plan to take public transport... well that's really only good if your job is central san diego- otherwise it could take 30+ minutes to get to work.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: