Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,880,987 times

Advertisements

I'm driving up to around Portland via I-5.
Any worthwhile stops for sights, good eats, views, rest?
I do not have time for a leisurely coastal drive etc (which I've done and recommend specifics there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 AM

6,484 posts, read 7,461,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I do not have time for a leisurely coastal drive etc (which I've done and recommend specifics there).
I've never driven it, but I have taken the Amtrak from Santa Fe Depot downtown all the way thru Portland to Seattle via the Coast Starlight route. It is an absolutely beautiful scenic train ride up there and I highly recommend folks to try that at least once.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:04 AM

20,831 posts, read 17,011,630 times
The 5 is pretty straightforward until you get into Northern Ca. The sundial bridge in Redding over the river was designed by Calitrava and is something to see and walk across. Just north of that is Mt. Shasta and the town Mt. Shasta City. The mountain town is certainly worth a stop. Nice coffee shops on the main drag going north -south.

Ashland is a comfy town. If you are staying overnight I would park myself there. Art and activities. Costco on the 5 near Eugene typically has the cheapest gas. Enjoy your trip!!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 AM

53 posts, read 111,912 times
There is a place at Exit 148 in Oregon called Rice Hill. Little dive by the freeway has the best Ice Cream. It is Umpqua, they have 30+ flavors, Peanut Butter is my favorite.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:15 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,706,444 times
I'm jealous, bloom. I love roadtrips. A friend just moved from here to Ashland and loves it. Is Crater Lake worth a detour? Have been told that the Midtown area of Sacramento is cool, too.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 PM

7,356 posts, read 12,596,042 times
We drive up that way almost every summer. For a quick trip, Crater Lake is probably too much of a detour; you'd veer NE on 97 at Weed and go up through Klamath Falls; then take 62 to Crater Lake. Afterwards, continue on 62 back to I-5.

"Old Sacramento" is definitely worth a visit; the restored buildings of the old gold rush town along the river comprise several city blocks, like San Diego's "Old Town" on steroids. Great restaurants, and a riverboat docked at the pier. Start singing "Proud Mary"! And then there's Sutter's Fort, with all the gold rush history, a really interesting place.

But try to get to Sacramento as fast as the law allows; there is literally nothing to see on I-5 (unless you like flat fields) for most of the trip between Grapevine and a couple of hours or so south of Sac when you get to some impressive hills. You could travel it at night and not miss anything. Above all, do not attempt to go through LA during rush hour, but you probably know that. We've been caught so many times in LA traffic at all hours of the day that we simply leave in the evening and get beyond Grapevine the first night, and then continue up the next day, rested and less frustrated.

The interesting scenery starts in Red Bluff, and the rest of the way is beautiful, even spectacular in places. You can spend the night in Redding, but I suggest staying in Red Bluff instead. The Best Western on Antelope is a decent place, and there's a nice new family restaurant next to it, the Rockin' R. Good basic travel food, and easy freeway access. But you generally have to decide whether to stop south or north of Shasta, and Redding would be the last chance before the climb. There are several hotels in Dunsmuir on the mountain, including a very special hotel in old train cars, but you're taking a chance on availability.

I'd choose Grants Pass for a stopover; above the Hellsgate jetboat tours office on the Rogue River there is a restaurant with a river view. I can't remember the food, but the view was great. And the jetboat tours are really fun, if you're into that sort of thing, and if the river is high enough--depends on the time of year. Several movies have been filmed in Hellsgate, such as Rooster Cogburn and The River Wild.

If you have time when you get to Portland you should absolutely go to McMinnville and see the Evergreen air museum with Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose. Even if you're not into aviation it is an amazing sight, and if you like aircraft, the museum is worth the entire trip.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 AM

32 posts, read 44,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
If you get to Portland try eating at the screen door. Also pine street biscuit is awesome. For dessert try voodoo doughnut!

Have fun!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,455 times
Make sure to stop at Voodoo Doughnut if you visit Portland. There may be a super long line, but don't let it turn you away. It's definitely worth it for the experience! Also, I love stopping at Powell's when I'm in Portland. If you enjoy books at all, you have to stop there! Just imagine the largest bookstore you can and then multiply that by 5. Powell's is huge and awesome. Honestly, I really love Portland, and even hope to live there one day. Hope your trip is great!

Old 11-14-2013, 02:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,247,774 times
I am planning a road trip in Decemeber up to Portland for about two weeks, taking our sweet ass time and soaking in the scenery and journey

Does anyone have any other tidbits for this trip to Portlandia?

bloom, how was your trip?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:44 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,880,987 times
It was a very nice trip with my wife without kids this time but we didn't have time for many interesting stops this time.
The best description of driving up I-5 in the central valley south of Sacramento is that it is a drive that "sucks away your soul" due to the monotony.
North of Sacremento/Davis, the scenery get real nice and mountainous esp. this Autumn.
We stopped at little cute town called Dunsmuir, but it was just ok so try another one.
We stopped at Pea Soup Andersons. Again skip that.
I heard great things about the Oregon coast (maybe Northern CA too).
Yosemite is always my fave if you have time - would be great this time of year.
Southern OR supposedly has many cute towns but we didn't stop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego