Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:14 PM

7 posts, read 18,897 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to San Diego in the next couple of weeks. I am single male, mid-40s, engineering professional and will be working in Torrey View Court area.

I have been looking at Torrey Pines or La Jolla area (open to other areas as well). Would it be good area to meet other single professionals? My budget is $1200-$1300 for 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. A drive of not more than 10 miles to work would be ideal (closer it is the better). I am not a bar/party person. Ideally would love to find a place which has European feel of having walking around the streets with people, restaurants with outside seating, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of any apartment complexes that fit my criteria, please dont hesitate to mention.

Thank you in advance for everyone who would be kind to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:09 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
You want Del Mar, unless you can't afford it. Your budget does seem a bit tight for San Diego with expectations for an area near the intersection of I-5 and Carmel Mountain Road.

Del Mar has plenty of people on the streets, restaurants with outside seating, and is pricey enough to exclude the younger of the partier types. However, what I don't know is if apartments are there in your price range. But then I doubt you would find those in La Jolla or Torrey Pines either.

If your budget really is fixed, but your commute time is flexible then all sorts of other options exist, but more in the urban core neighborhoods of San Diego.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
It all depends on what kind of experience you want. Del Mar has that 'german' kind of feel and look, but for the most part it's a relatively boring area for single people no matter what your age. And there are many evenings where it's dead. And it's small. La Jolla has more to offer, a bigger 'downtown' and spread out, there are some places with a younger crowd, but there are also a lot of older folks.

Everything depends on what you want to do. There are many 'retired' people in Del mar. There are older tourists. So would a 40 something single guy want to be a part of that crowd day in and day out? That depends on you.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
I haven't seen much I'd want to live in, in those areas in that price range. Maybe for a studio or very small one bedroom. I'd say its more like $1500 and up for something decent.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:28 AM

210 posts, read 412,237 times
You sound like you belong in Hillcrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_p39 View Post
I am planning on moving to San Diego in the next couple of weeks. I am single male, mid-40s, engineering professional and will be working in Torrey View Court area.

I have been looking at Torrey Pines or La Jolla area (open to other areas as well). Would it be good area to meet other single professionals? My budget is $1200-$1300 for 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. A drive of not more than 10 miles to work would be ideal (closer it is the better). I am not a bar/party person. Ideally would love to find a place which has European feel of having walking around the streets with people, restaurants with outside seating, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of any apartment complexes that fit my criteria, please dont hesitate to mention.

Thank you in advance for everyone who would be kind to respond.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 AM

Thank you everyone. My budget is little flexible, willing to go upto $1600. Looks like La Jolla would be a good place based on above.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_p39 View Post
Thank you everyone. My budget is little flexible, willing to go upto $1600. Looks like La Jolla would be a good place based on above.

The problem with San Diego and people who don't live here or know the area, is that it could really mean you live anywhere. You say La Jolla and that could mean downtown, the beach area, WindnSea area, North PB, Torrey Pines area, over to UTC and University City and so on. A lot of those areas might not officially be "La Jolla" but besides the grumpy elitists who only consider a small pocket area the real La Jolla, most people would say they live near La Jolla.

The same goes for Del Mar. You could live out nere via de la valle, near san dieguto dr or the race track, or way out on del mar heights rd or even further down near Torrey Pines and for the most part, many people consider that Del Mar.

The same goes for San diego in general. Mission Valley is still San diego. Carmel Vally is still San diego. And so on and so forth. So you get the point. For those who have lived here and have ventured out or lived in different places, you get a feeling for the different areas. But I would have no clue the different neighborhoods up in Escondido or Fallbrook or San Marcos or Vista as I don't really go to those places often enough to really know the neighborhoods.

So this gets back to La Jolla. If you want to live 'downtown' La jolla and dont want any roommates and want a nice 1+ bedroom apartment, and you want it around $1500, you are going to have a hard time finding it. La Jolla and Del Mar are two of the more pricey communities in San diego. If you dont want any roommates, your budget is going to be hard to find any of those things. If you venture a bit east, a few miles away from the beach, you open yourself up to that price range. UTC, Carmel Valley area's etc have those $1500 per month kind of places.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Thank you Pedro for the clarification. I am trying to find some thing within 10 miles of Torrey Pines where I will be working. I just picked two localities. I definitely plan on staying alone. I prefer a good neighborhood. Not picky on near beach or not.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:57 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
there are some older apartments in that price range. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. I don't "live there" but I have been searching for apartments probably more than the average person who hasn't been searching for apartments...

Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 PM

63 posts, read 173,103 times
Your price range is low for those areas. You can afford a one bedroom apartment in the UTC area at that price. It's close to LJ and Torrey Pines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego