Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
NO, not a "mansion". A "McMansion" which is quite another thing. I think most of us are speaking figuratively here. Probably not in the $250,000 range but a few years ago, I made an offer on a 5 bedroom house in the 75024 zip code in Plano. My offer was $300k cash. At the time they rejected it holding out for the full $330k asking price. I believe it ended up closing at around $287,000. I believe it was around 3,700 sq. feet or so.

That was several years ago so I'm sure prices have gone up since then but prices don't really sky rocket in the DFW area like they do in San Diego.

You should still be able to buy a large house in that area I'd think for the $300k range. No, not a mansion by any stretch but some would term it "McMansion". (not a positive term, IMHO).

There are tons of properties like this: 4535 Hawkhurst Dr, Plano, TX 75024 is For Sale - Zillow

Nothing too special but an equivalent property like this for this size in a great school district of San Diego would cost a fortune. Look at the school rankings in this area. As an example. Mostly 9 and 10 rated schools.

As far as the weather. The weather in Dallas is HORRIBLE. Just brutal in the summer. There are some summers where it's over 100 degrees for 40 or 50 days in a row. Just horrible.
Just how long have you been gone?

With the relative drought and drop in humidity, I feel the summers to be fine save or a few days. We are outside all the time.

You can by cheap houses, not McMansions, in the less desirable part of any town. That is a fact everywhere.

THIS is a Plano McMansion: 5024 Bridge Creek Drive Plano, TX 75093-5702
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just how long have you been gone?

With the relative drought and drop in humidity, I feel the summers to be fine save or a few days. We are outside all the time.

You can by cheap houses, not McMansions, in the less desirable part of any town. That is a fact everywhere.

THIS is a Plano McMansion: 5024 Bridge Creek Drive Plano, TX 75093-5702

I haven't lived in Dallas for a while but I go several times a year as I still have friends there. And you and I have a serious disagreement in the "I feel summers to be fine". It's brutal in the summer, IMHO. I remember maybe two years ago and I remember traveling around quite a bit so we were going through DFW for 5 weeks as we were going to different cities and it was over 100 degrees for over a month straight.

I would NOT consider that "fine summers". We can agree to disagree on what we consider to be "fine summers". LOL.

I don't think you've seen the definition for McMansion. You are somehow trying to use that term as a positive. That kind of house in Plano that you posted is not the norm.

Here is the definition most people would think of for "McMansions". And again, people don't use that term to describe something positive. Quite the opposite.

McMansion: A large, new house in a subdivision of similarly large houses, which all seem mass-produced and lacking in distinguishing characteristics.

The term "McMansion" is generally used to denote a new, or recent, multi-story house of no clear architectural style, with a notably larger footprint than the existing houses in its neighborhood. It may seem too large for its lot and rarely has windows on the sides due to closely abutting upon the property boundaries, giving the appearance of crowding adjacent homes. A McMansion is either located in a newer, larger subdivision or replaces an existing, smaller structure in an older neighborhood.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 PM

55 posts, read 86,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
... DFW for 5 weeks as we were going to different cities and it was over 100 degrees for over a month straight.
Right. I lived in Dallas for 6 years and, while there are a few things I miss about Dallas, I wouldn't consider the summers there one of 'em....

I remember one summer (97 or 98) when I was working in July with a customer in upstate NY, up near Buffalo. Sleeping with the windows open required a comforter. Upong returning to Dallas for the weekends, I had to run through the baking ramp from the plane to DFW terminal, thinking to myself, "this is what it must feel like for a rotisserie chicken!" :-) If I remember right, they had a record number of days over 100 degrees that year.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVieQ View Post
Right. I lived in Dallas for 6 years and, while there are a few things I miss about Dallas, I wouldn't consider the summers there one of 'em....

I remember one summer (97 or 98) when I was working in July with a customer in upstate NY, up near Buffalo. Sleeping with the windows open required a comforter. Upong returning to Dallas for the weekends, I had to run through the baking ramp from the plane to DFW terminal, thinking to myself, "this is what it must feel like for a rotisserie chicken!" :-) If I remember right, they had a record number of days over 100 degrees that year.
I was in San Antonio that year.....just as bad as winter depression

Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVieQ View Post

Yep. I lived there back then as well. I actually lived in Dallas for 9 years so I know it well. I'm not going to badmouth all of it as there are many great things about it. But the weather isn't one of them.
VERY friendly people. In fact, some of the friendliest people I've ever met and I still have many close friends there and I go there several times a year. But to be honest, the weather SUCKS.

In the summer most people go from their air conditioned houses to their air conditioned cars to their air conditioned offices to air conditioned restaurants, etc. And the winters are no joy either. And then add in tornados and windy weather and not fun being in Tornado alley.

Again, lots of positive things in Dallas but I've actually never heard anyone try to argue that the weather in Dallas was "fine". Most objective people will admit the summers there are horrible.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
I have gone to Dallas in June and it's 99 and back in Sept and it's 99 again... It is a long, hot summer.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 PM

its usually still 100 in october in south texas

Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 PM

884 posts, read 1,171,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
yes, it was sexist and said outside of this forum would be flagged ...might be here too but doubtfully.
Speaking as a woman, I don't care how big my house is. I would prioritize a yard, doesn't have to be huge or anything, over house size for my dogs (and so I can maybe start a garden) but when people come to visit me we don't spend much time in the house, we are busy out doing things and exploring the area and living life. I don't see my house as an extension of my being.

And besides, you make your house a home by personalizing it--I notice the details people put into their house but not how new it is, or the granite counter tops, or the price tag, or the square footage. Your personality will be reflected in the touches you put into your house or apartment. Stuff that goes beyond the surface. So, I agree that it was sexist, because it paints women as materialistic, shallow, and only caring about a big house in a prestigious neighborhood so they can show off to other women since that's apparently all they have going for them. If all you've got going for you is a McMansion and how snooty your neighborhood is I feel sorry for you, you must lead an empty life.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 AM

115 posts, read 208,667 times
The weather is one of the main reasons we changed our mind about Texas. We were looking at the Dallas area and also Austin, California with the higher prices and taxes won...the weather was the main factor..

Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind spot View Post
Speaking as a woman, I don't care how big my house is. I would prioritize a yard, doesn't have to be huge or anything, over house size for my dogs (and so I can maybe start a garden) but when people come to visit me we don't spend much time in the house, we are busy out doing things and exploring the area and living life. I don't see my house as an extension of my being.

And besides, you make your house a home by personalizing it--I notice the details people put into their house but not how new it is, or the granite counter tops, or the price tag, or the square footage. Your personality will be reflected in the touches you put into your house or apartment. Stuff that goes beyond the surface. So, I agree that it was sexist, because it paints women as materialistic, shallow, and only caring about a big house in a prestigious neighborhood so they can show off to other women since that's apparently all they have going for them. If all you've got going for you is a McMansion and how snooty your neighborhood is I feel sorry for you, you must lead an empty life.
people speak of what they know

sometimes what we see is what we attract. I am "all woman" and drive a mazda3 with a cracked windshield and have lived in in apartments since my early 20's. I do keep a nice place and have lived in lots of "cool" condos and apartments but it was awhile before I even bought a real mattress. I've prioritized experiences and travel in my life. Comfort has become more important to me as I've gotten older but certainly not excess, and I work from home so it has driven me to find a more comfortable place.

Sure Id love to have an awesome house someday its not a top priority, or I would already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego