Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM

4,525 posts, read 12,341,512 times

Advertisements

The last 3 years were the bottom of a panic-driven low. Blood was running in the streets. Now, the panic has abated and housing prices have normalized. If they keep going up, at 7%,10%,15% rates, then yes we could have a bubble forming. However, if Zillow can be believed, housing prices stopped rising in the past 2-3 months. What may be about to occur, is the return to more normal and sustainable appreciation rates (3% - 6%).

And as Sassberto and others said, the San Diego market is influenced by national and international factors.

As the saying goes, no one ever turned down a job in San Diego because it meant having to live in San Diego.
- though I think what I really need is the insufferably SMUG icon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:20 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhox99 View Post
Lol earlyretirement- Yes, when I say "followed," I mean that I look at what price points get what house in what city. I have searches saved on Zillow that allow me to quickly see housing stock for given price points in certain areas. Every once in a while, I take a look and see what is going on. So my knowledge is limited to what shows up on those searches. So my $500k is based on my searches usually encompassing homes between $350k and 500k. Homes with these prices do exist in these markets, but naturally, they are more rare than higher-priced pads. My recent observation has been that, not only are the quantities of housing stock between my price points becoming more scarce, but the remaining ones are lower quality as well. Obviously, to some extent, it is to be expected coming out of a recession. It just seems a bit extreme.

Ah ok.... well I was just confused because it made it sound like you did research for a while and there were many properties in those areas at your price point.

For example, when I research or "follow" real estate in any given city, I'll specifically look in areas where I intend to possibly buy.

You mentioned houses from $350,000 to $500k. Yes, the SD area has those but really not in those areas that you mentioned where surprised to not find anything above a certain price. That's a fairly desirable area in an excellent school district.

Do you have any past houses in your favorite list on Zillow? For example, can you give some examples in the area you were looking at where you saw from $350k to $500k?

Definitely there are houses here in SD in that price range but really not too many in those areas you mentioned. I do know people that bought really beautiful homes in other areas of SD in your price range but they aren't anywhere near those areas you mentioned.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 PM

70 posts, read 100,289 times
17021 Acena Dr, San Diego, CA 92128 is For Sale - Zillow
16772 Bernardo Oaks Dr, San Diego, CA 92128 is For Sale - Zillow
12711 Rios Rd, San Diego, CA 92128 is For Sale - Zillow

I don't have any homes saved as favorites, however, those are three that are available right now. Really dated/ugly looking homes given what surrounds them, but I will make anything work to be in an area I love. Plus, I have great renovation experience!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,237,057 times
I will echo everyone else here.

Yes the larger homes synonymous with the areas you were looking at really pull in more than these listings from a PPSF point of view. The houses you listed are about half the size of some of the two story homes or even ranches in Scripps Ranch.

Definitely if these older ranch homes are ok for you and the family, then it might be a good fit!

1st one seems the best of the lot. Are you ok with the sq footage?

2nd one has been on the market since August, went pending and back on. I wonder if something happened.

3rd one served a Notice of Default

Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,311,552 times
Is it common to have bars on the doors/windows in nicer areas?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,730,217 times
Quote:

I don't have any homes saved as favorites, however, those are three that are available right now. Really dated/ugly looking homes given what surrounds them, but I will make anything work to be in an area I love. Plus, I have great renovation experience!
FYI, the house on Bernardo Oaks Dr might be in a retirement community.

It is a nice area, BTW. I ride my scooter by there everyday for work.

edit: The one on Acena might also be in that retirement community. Looks like I ride past all those houses on my commute.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM

70 posts, read 100,289 times
Shmoov-Oh ya, I am not too snooty with homes. I would sacrifice curb appeal (which can be improved) for neighborhood/area. Our previous home was 1400 sq/ft and it was more than enough for just the two of us. It is just my wife and I and no plans to add any more!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:10 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,237,057 times
Quote:
Shmoov-Oh ya, I am not too snooty with homes. I would sacrifice curb appeal (which can be improved) for neighborhood/area. Our previous home was 1400 sq/ft and it was more than enough for just the two of us. It is just my wife and I and no plans to add any more!
Oh yeah, that changes things then. I would say based on that minor detail, definitely you have options like you posted as they may not fit a family of 4 so well as compared with two story homes, twice the size.

My wife and I live in a 1k sq ft house and dont have kids, so I hear you there. Definitely, I think if you narrow your search by size and zip code, it might help you navigate the homes easier in these areas.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times
Quote:

Ah..Ok..I was confusing you for another poster. I thought you needed a larger home especially when you mentioned that most of the homes you were looking at were $700k+. If you are ok with smaller homes then that does make it a possibility to possibly find something in the area.

As long as the bones of the house work, consider doing renovations. Especially if you have renovation experience, then that will make it easier if you have to be in those areas.

I did several renovations in my house and there are some good local vendors.

But would one of those houses you listed work for your family? For example, can you post an example of one of those $700k houses you mentioned that you were looking at? Because I'd venture to guess it's much different than these 3 that you posted... No?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:00 PM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times
O.P. you maybe want to rent for a little bit and then figure out what you can afford/live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego