Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 PM

82 posts, read 178,684 times

Advertisements

Never knew about the coyotes. I've got two medium sized dogs, but I still need to watch out. Thank you for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 10:12 PM

434 posts, read 988,384 times
Blacks and browns on our property. Not hard to find, all the usual places. One brown widow was even hanging out just inside the house, next to the dining room slider. Went on killing spree a few months ago. Kinda felt bad, as some were away from entrances to the house -- kinda.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Coyotes, Skunks, Possums and rats are much more common than the predatory spiders, who mostly keep to themselves.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:38 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1985 View Post
In day to day living, are the black widow and other poisonous spiders really a problem? Is it a daily sighting kind of thing? I'm not one to do any kind of gardening, landscaping, or go hiking. But I do like to go on walks with my dogs. If we lived in a suburb, are they frequently in your home? I read on the county website that you do NOT have brown recluse, but a desert recluse, which is different. Also....scorpions?

We are thinking of moving to San Diego area. I've visited there with my Aunt but I have never seen anything like that near her house. But then again, that's just my observation in a weeks stay.
No, they're not a problem. Yes, they're around but no they really don't want to bite you because venom is a valuable thing to them and they don't want to waste it on a non-food item like you. Just be mindful of where you put your hands and feet, learn what a black widow's web looks like (they're usually low to the ground and have a very scattered or disorganized appearance) and remember they tend to like dark, cool, damp places close to the ground. Just looking before you stick your hand some where will eliminate most of the risk.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:45 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I have found tarantulas in my pool, dead of course. Scooped them up with the net. Just three in the past two years.

We have a rock waterfall feature and I think they are coming from the crevices in the rock, when the water is not running. I have never seen them alive, just after their demise.
Trantulas are great and not really a threat to people as they rarely bite and even if they do they're not that poisonious (though the size of their mouths means the bite mark can still be big and painful). Honestly, they're usually pretty docile and their large size means they're especially fragile. As kids we used to pick them up and play with them, let them crawl on our pant legs, but you have to be really gentile with them because the slightest drop will make their legs fall off and then the poor spider won't be able to survive.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
They're part of the natural environment and have a role to play in the ecosystem. I don't get why people get all freaked out when they see an animal that's been part of this area since before humans were here. Sure, you may not want it in your home, but to get freaked out because it's here? Amusing.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Trantulas are great and not really a threat to people as they rarely bite and even if they do they're not that poisonious (though the size of their mouths means the bite mark can still be big and painful). Honestly, they're usually pretty docile and their large size means they're especially fragile. As kids we used to pick them up and play with them, let them crawl on our pant legs, but you have to be really gentile with them because the slightest drop will make their legs fall off and then the poor spider won't be able to survive.
LOL...My kids had a Rose Haired Tarantula when they were small. Great pet, no smell, and no mess! I never handled the thing, but my husband and son did all the time. Morticia AKA Tish was finally given away when our kids went off to college. She was 10 then and I am told they live to be 50ish! Fascinating to see them molt!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:39 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
The spider thing got me thinking. I know nothing about wildlife in the SD area but now I am curious.

I've met at least two people in Tijuana that were bit by a brown spider and the results were NASTY. I was out prancing around in the Chula Vista Nature Reserve without a fear in the world. Should I have been concerned about snakes and spiders? Do you take an anti venom to heal ?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
The spider thing got me thinking. I know nothing about wildlife in the SD area but now I am curious.

I've met at least two people in Tijuana that were bit by a brown spider and the results were NASTY. I was out prancing around in the Chula Vista Nature Reserve without a fear in the world. Should I have been concerned about snakes and spiders? Do you take an anti venom to heal ?

Thanks
Typical advice for being outdoors anywhere ... wear long sleeves and long trousers. If in tick area, tuck your trousers into your socks. Stay on the trails, and keep an eye out for wildlife. Don't put your hands or feet (or any other body part) into any place you can't see, because there may well be critters hiding there.

You get anti-venin for rattlesnake bite. It's in$anely expen$ive. You don't want to have to pay that!!!

As far as I know for the brown spider bite, you just have to wait it out. And check to make sure it's really a spider bite, because MRSA masquerades as a nasty spider bite.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
And just as a FYI: teach your dogs to leave snakes alone. There is a Rattler Vac. that if you know your dogs will be in the areas where Rattlesnakes are present, can be given. Our Golden had gotten it while we were living on Texas and here. It ca be given every 6 months if you think the odds are great of them coming in contact with a Rattler. It does not take the place of the anti-venom, but helps them survive the strike along with the anti-venom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego