Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 AM

358 posts, read 584,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I take it you aren't married? Where I live now is less than a mile from my husband's work, but 13 miles from my work. We are moving to a larger place and he'll be 2 miles away from work, and I'll still be about 13 (moving east not up).

Considering the area he works in is much cheaper than the area I work in (we easily save $300-$500/month living more South) that's not always feasible.

And living in between wouldn't work either.

BTW I'm not trying to be rude by implying you aren't married, but it's easier said than done to do that if you and your spouse work in different areas.
Yes, I'm married with kids. We live 3 miles from my work and 5 miles from my spouse's work. We could have chosen a place that's 1 mile from both of our work but I would have to pay a lot more, so I though 3&5 miles is close enough.

With your situation, it makes sense. At the very least, he's only 1-2 miles from work, so only 1 spouse has to have the long commute. I've seen many couples that both have 10+ miles of commute, both traveling to the same direction too.

I'm not trying to say everyone have to do it, since sometimes, it's not doable. But many choose not to do it, even if they could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 01:21 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcstuffin View Post
Take a look at the 2 year chart of QCOM and it might explain what you're seeing with traffic. Do you see all those high rise construction from QCOM? How about all the high rise office buildings in UTC? This area is changing a lot and will continue to change. QCOM has plan to build a couple more high rises in Sorrento Valley over the next few years. So traffic will only get worse.

I hate commuting and traffic, so I picked a home that's 3 miles from work. It takes me on average 10 minutes to get to/from work. If more people do that, traffic would maybe decrease.
This only works if work is close to communities and housing and is affordable. There are a lot of apartments that pop up around offices and big companies, not so much around smaller companies.
There are always options, but it comes down to affordability. If you work close to the coast and cant' afford to live there, you probably are going to live further inland. Which means commuting.

I know up in Silicon Valley and San Fran, there are many many people who commute 2 hours because they work on one side of the bay, have a nicer house on the other, and it's in a better school district. FB building condos and apartments at its new campus is great, except it's meant for 22-28 year olds, not 42 year olds with a family.

And there are still others who want a little more space. People move to Lakeside, Alpine, Ramona, etc because bigger houses, more yard, cheaper and so on. So maybe they commute into sorrento valley or UTC or downtown, but they live in a house they like in a community they like instead of living in some 2 bedroom 800 square foot condo closer to work.

In theory the idea makes sense, but it doesn't always work out that way in real life.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 PM

358 posts, read 584,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
This only works if work is close to communities and housing and is affordable. There are a lot of apartments that pop up around offices and big companies, not so much around smaller companies.
There are always options, but it comes down to affordability. If you work close to the coast and cant' afford to live there, you probably are going to live further inland. Which means commuting.

I know up in Silicon Valley and San Fran, there are many many people who commute 2 hours because they work on one side of the bay, have a nicer house on the other, and it's in a better school district. FB building condos and apartments at its new campus is great, except it's meant for 22-28 year olds, not 42 year olds with a family.

And there are still others who want a little more space. People move to Lakeside, Alpine, Ramona, etc because bigger houses, more yard, cheaper and so on. So maybe they commute into sorrento valley or UTC or downtown, but they live in a house they like in a community they like instead of living in some 2 bedroom 800 square foot condo closer to work.

In theory the idea makes sense, but it doesn't always work out that way in real life.
You're correct, it doesn't work for all. But it sure would work for a lot of people. I see many who could live closer to work, but they rather have a bigger and/or newer house further away.

I agree that there's no one size fit all and that some people don't care about commute. I preface my statement with me hatting commute, so, distance to work is high on my list. You won't find me complaining that I live in a small house vs the newer 3500-4000 sq-ft house. But I just giggle when people whine about traffic and commute when they chose to live further away to have those bigger and/or newer houses.

I'm just trying to say that if people really hate traffic/commute, then they might want to consider living closer. Sure, you can't get as big or as new of a house, but you don't have to deal w/ traffic/commute.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:43 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
On the news the 15 is stop and go for 60 miles to the 215. Holeeee

Old 11-28-2013, 08:46 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
On the news the 15 is stop and go for 60 miles to the 215. Holeeee
That's not the worst I've seen. I once took Greyhound from LA to San Diego, the day before Thanksgiving (many years ago). There were no accidents or construction on the road.

It took 13 hours. We pulled into San Diego at 1 AM.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That's not the worst I've seen. I once took Greyhound from LA to San Diego, the day before Thanksgiving (many years ago). There were no accidents or construction on the road.

It took 13 hours. We pulled into San Diego at 1 AM.
That crazy. You could have left at midnight.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:55 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
I feel like it's gotten worse the past two days, somehow it ended up taking me an hour to get to work today! And yesterday an hour and 20 minutes to go 13 miles.

Come on people it's just water!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 AM

The 8 is being re-routed. The 163 looks like a painting. Nothing moving at all. What do you do if you have to pee or get gas?

Old 12-05-2013, 10:35 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
Pee on yourself? Pray for a cop to bring you gas?

THANKFULLY my husband told me this morning to avoid the 163, I just went over to the 805 N.

I heard someone jumped off the bridge in that area?

Old 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Pee on yourself? Pray for a cop to bring you gas?

THANKFULLY my husband told me this morning to avoid the 163, I just went over to the 805 N.

I heard someone jumped off the bridge in that area?
Yep, permanent solution to temporary problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego