U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 PM

9 posts, read 21,672 times

Advertisements

This seems a silly question but I've been googling for what seems like forever and can't come up with an actual answer

Can a US resident legally live in Tijuana (renting an apartment) and work in San Diego while maintaining their US residency (given they have a permanent address in San Diego)? If not, are the Americans that live in Tijuana and work in San Diego doing so under the radar? Or are they actually giving up their US residency? How does it all work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 PM

8,844 posts, read 12,557,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesee View Post
This seems a silly question but I've been googling for what seems like forever and can't come up with an actual answer

Can a US resident legally live in Tijuana (renting an apartment) and work in San Diego while maintaining their US residency (given they have a permanent address in San Diego)? If not, are the Americans that live in Tijuana and work in San Diego doing so under the radar? Or are they actually giving up their US residency? How does it all work?
You don't have to give up your US citizenship if you live in Tijuana and work in San Diego. I live in Tijuana, work in San Diego, and use a PMB for my address. I've had PMB's for years, I didn't get it just because I moved to Tijuana. The only mail that I get at home is my electric bill and Internet bill.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 PM

So basically, Mexico just doesn't care?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 PM

686 posts, read 584,637 times
I would like to add and clarify something here very important and it may just a matter of semantics or the phrase that is being used in the original question.

You used the term "US resident". There is a difference between a "US resident" and a "US citizen".

A US resident is an immigrant legally residing in the United States. US residents are often referred to as "Green Card Holders" or resident aliens. They do not have the full rights and responsibilities of a US citizen.

A US citizen refers to individuals born in the United States or that have derived citizenship through parents' US citizenship. This is legal apparatus of Jus Soli and Jus Sanguinis. You may also become a US citizen through naturalization. Usually after you have been a US resident for a minimum of three to five years depending on the way you became a resident alien.

If you are a US citizen you are free to live in whatever country you wish, nor do you have to give up any right to US citizenship. I am not sure about the law in Mexico and requirements to live there, as I am not a Mexican lawyer or immigrante. But I am almost sure there are FM3/2 visa requirements to do so, but again, this is not my area of expertise, so I will leave it at that. Mind you one last thing for US citizens; the long arm of the IRS and US Justice system does reach into our neighbors to the south.

If you are a US resident alien, you may not live in Mexico, or any other country. That is the purpose of immigrating to the US and obtaining residency-to live in the US. Legally, and I mean this word in all seriousness, if you are a resident alien living outside the US, you are giving up your status as a resident alien.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 PM

Sorry about the confusion, I just didn't get my terminology right. I did mean US citizen, born here, whole family is from here, etc.

Thanks for the FM3/2 mention, you'd really expect this type of thing be easier to find info on, lol !

Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 PM

686 posts, read 584,637 times
To have the most definitive answer on the requirements for living in Mexico, I would consult with the Mexican Consulate on India Street in Little Italy.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 AM

64 posts, read 108,332 times
I used to live in Guadalajara, Mexico as a US citizen, but the requirements are the same for any part of the country. An FM3 is a tourist visa, which allows you to stay in Mexico for 6 months at a time. An FM2 is a resident visa. You have to prove $2,000 + in income per month or $100,000 + in assets or $200,000 + in property to qualify.

You do not have to give up US residency, even if you become a citizen of Mexico.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 AM

If you have any more questions, check out the Mexico Expat forum, or the Baja Nomad forum. The Americans living everywhere in Mexico will be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:51 AM

You guys have all been great, thanks so much for the info and directions on where I can get even more info!!

Last edited by Tesee; 11-13-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucillenyc View Post
I used to live in Guadalajara, Mexico as a US citizen, but the requirements are the same for any part of the country. An FM3 is a tourist visa, which allows you to stay in Mexico for 6 months at a time. An FM2 is a resident visa. You have to prove $2,000 + in income per month or $100,000 + in assets or $200,000 + in property to qualify.

You do not have to give up US residency, even if you become a citizen of Mexico.
This is all true, but if you live in the "border zone," it isn't necessary to have a FM2 or obtain an FM3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego