Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,683,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I love Taos. It's greener because there's a lot more water up there. Try going into what passes for "national forest" around here. It's like walking in a park full of shrubbery. There's no shade from the sun, because the "trees" are so small. I don't see the attraction. Back to topic: I think it takes a certain type of person to appreciate a desert environment. At least SD has beach and cool ocean breezes.
Ruth, there are lots of tall green trees -- and forests with green trees -- particularly the farther north of ABQ we go. I've driven all over NM -- I have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTeaDrinker2013 View Post
A-LOT has changed in Europe in the past 10 years.

San Diego added the gas lamp, Baseball stadium and prices sky rocketed.
I'm sorry -- I don't understand what your reply has to do with "small, sterile and bland".

Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 PM

This is one of the rare threads from H that goes on forever, accomplishes nothing and never dies.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:51 AM

66 posts, read 87,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I'm sorry -- I don't understand what your reply has to do with "small, sterile and bland".
- San Diego is small. You could see and do everything the city has to offer in the span of a few weeks.

- San Diego is sterile. It has no culture. Small pockets of beach communities, small pockets of minorities, small pockets of military

- San Diego is bland. Vast majority of the city is cookie cutter suburbia. Consider by the beach it is mostly large restaurants and corporations. That is not the case in Europe, where little mom and pop shops and food shacks exist giving the city an identity.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM

As I keep saying (sorry) I lived in Southern CA for 45 years - and I certainly never got bored with the place, and that includes SD.

Don't agree about the culture at all.

Yes, I do understand about bland compared to European cities of comparable sizes -- or even bigger and smaller. On the other hand, there is little Italy (weak argument, I know).

Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 AM

16,583 posts, read 27,308,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You REALLY like Richmond more than SD? But then -- to each their own.
If you can show me where I said that, then I'll discuss with you. I can't find such a post anywhere

Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
The Bay is cooler and greener than SD. Gentoo is smart to grab a toehold on the Bay. He can work his way around from Richmond, in time.
Richmond is a stepping stone. The only time I've ever said I liked Richmond better than anyplace is when I said some time ago that I liked it better than East Oakland. Not all of Oakland but East Oakland. I don't know what that person is talking about.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
haha! That's funny! The entire SoCal area used to be a desert. People don't move there for the greenery. I have a similar complaint about NM: no water, no ocean, no "real" trees, only shrubby desert juniper. But that's just the nature of the place, it's in the middle of the SW desert! You wouldn't expect it to be green, much less have ocean front or big lakes. People who don't like that type of environment shouldn't move there and spend their days whining. I suspect SD is a lot better than LA, though, in terms of people, size of the town (manageable, as opposed to: overwhelming), and transportation.
In terms of living, SD wins over LA IMO hands down. I like the people from LA a little better though. Don't know, they're just the ones I clicked with the best when I lived in SD.

A big part of the reason I left SD was because I don't like arid places and lack of natural greenery. I actually used to get depressed there at the beginning of summer. I'm the complete opposite of the people who love it there.

Oh and thanks for the compliment earlier

Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
I do not feel that anyone is bitter...just some have a realization that SD is not as great as many people purport and indoctrinate others to feel that it is. I was not bitter, angry, or miserable when I left SD - in fact, I was relieved and the happiest I'd been in years. The only thing I was "bitter and angry" about was the racism that I encountered while living there in the 20th-21st century. I'm a college graduate and I made plenty of money to "hack it" in SD. As I said in a previous post, I do not miss the racism and pretentiousness for one second! If I won the lottery, I would move to Seattle, Alaska, or another country... NEVER San Diego!

I do not understand why people who disagree with the "sunshine, rainbows, and America's finest city" ideology of living in SD are constantly berated, ridiculed, and treated with cynicism on this forum. Doing that is exemplative of lower-level thinking. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, irrespective of whether it aligns with yours or not. The last two sentences are directed at everyone on this post, not just the person that I replied to.
Repped you for this post. Word for every word how I feel. Right down to where I'd move if I won the lottery and the racism and what happens when you disagree with loving the place.

It's a weird paradox for me; my life was actually better overall when I was in SD. Most of my friends are still there. Yet, I am actually happier now strangely. I live in Richmond for God's sake and I don't care much for Richmond. My reasons for preferring Norcal or the PNW run much deeper than I think people in SD are capable of realizing. SD isn't a bad place at all. It's just not for everyone.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,366,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Repped you for this post. Word for every word how I feel. Right down to where I'd move if I won the lottery and the racism and what happens when you disagree with loving the place.

It's a weird paradox for me; my life was actually better overall when I was in SD. Most of my friends are still there. Yet, I am actually happier now strangely. I live in Richmond for God's sake and I don't care much for Richmond. My reasons for preferring Norcal or the PNW run much deeper than I think people in SD are capable of realizing. SD isn't a bad place at all. It's just not for everyone.

Gentoo and queenvic. Again, I'm terribly sorry to hear that you both had to deal with racism issues. I just think in today's day and age that is horrible. I'd really appreciate it if you'd share details of the type of things you went through.

Would you mind doing that just so we can get a better understanding of what you went through? Would you admit those things are clearly not happening in San Diego today? Or would you say they are still going on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego