Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 PM

127 posts, read 424,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
My turn. I will list my 5 personal negatives and 5 positives since moving here from Durham, NC.

1. I did not know that the coastal water would be so cold -granted it was nice and cool this holiday weekend. I just thought that SD being the southern most part of the Pacific would lend to warmer waters...very nitpicky to think this would be the Caribbean of the West.
2. Many people are just not aware or oblivious to their surroundings-whether driving or in crowded places. People just don't know how to communicate or don't care to, that makes them unintentionally act stuck-up or rude? At least in other cities, you can gauge the public's aggressiveness or common courtesy.
3. I expected more technology and cuisine for such a big city- Again, nitpicky, but I expected more variety coming into a city of 2 million.
4. I understand that the cost of living is steep here, but I'm getting sick and tired of getting nickel and dimed with all these special assessments and fees, everywhere I go/do. I'm more used to have fees rolled into larger tax bills or grouped together in legislature. Here, there are unique names and titles that really are a pain to keep track of. My Manhattan friend laughed at me during a call meeting about this, but he lives in a sinking island with 20M others...
5. Loss/lack of a true middle class. I feel that there are more of those who look/act filthy rich and many more who are struggling with career/life out here, than other areas -Seattle, Austin, RTP, DC. In my professional opinion, I think there is a huge gap in stepwise career development opportunities, even in the pharma field.

Now the positives.

1. Weather & climate. SD will always be desirable, due to that reason alone. This lends to a lot of available outdoor activities. Not as strong of an outdoorsy network as say Seattle, but at least it doesn't rain here all the time. I overheard people complaining about the humidity this weekend, and almost spit out my drink laughing at them.
2. Guess this is a plus/minus, that SD does not have the big city vibe or metropolitan influence. It was very easy for my wife (Southern girl) and I to transition into living here.
3. <<Almost>> No frigging Mosquitoes!!!!! I am like a delicacy to those bloodsuckers, back east. I've replaced my can of bug spray for sunscreen
4. Relaxed clothing. I love business casual..and I hate ties. What started to identify rank and friend or foe in F2F combat, they have become stupid fashions, initially designed to hide buttons and exposed skin seen through shirt gaps. Increasing number of hospitals are banning them because get in the way touching everything you lean on/over and often not washed/washable. I think noose, every time I put one on.
5. Refer to #1. Something about the climate revitalizes me every time I step outside. I can now say that I have lived in SoCal and enjoyed it's lifestyle, where-ever life takes or throws at me. I haven't been in SD long enough, but don't think I'll lay roots here. It just costs too much to adequately save up for retirement while living a lifestyle my wife and I enjoy, but San Diego gives me access to cross out multiple items on my bucket list.

For all the positives and negatives, I'm happy and healthy in San Diego and that's what counts. It amplifies the advantages and minimizes the disadvantages.
Here Here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 AM

281 posts, read 811,600 times
I'm leaving on a jet plane in 25 more days. Been here 23 years. I agree with Pharmboy - the middle class is dissappearing here. I have very few staff under 30 that are living on their own (they still live with mom and dad at 28!) and they all drive BMV's and Mercedes - it's very very odd to me. Their priorities are all whacked --- it is ALL about appearance. I'm worried for that generation.

My top reasons for moving

1. Affordable housing and lack thereof
2. No sense of real community here - anonymous living
3. School quality declining
4. A salary level that does not support the COL - and is much lower than other areas
5. High Cost of everything from car registration to taxes

6. It's boring to me. I'm not an outdoors person - I want culture, arts, beautiful architecture a place rich in history. Maybe I've just BTDT too much with most of what SD has to offer in that regard -- I need a big change.

Many other posts got it right as well. The lay off's, state budget crisis, much lower pay comparably than other jobs, under and un employed friends, etc.

I think SD is a nice place for sure. I do, however, want to scream everytime someone says "THE WEATHER". I'm not drinking that Kool Aid any longer. It's as if the weather alone must make up for everything else lacking. Well I've enjoyed it for 23 years now it is someone else's turn.

I want a great job, a cost of living where I can afford to buy a modest house (not a tiny 1 bdr condo!), a rich cultural environment with lots of history, mass transit that WORKS, and a professional hockey team!

I found all these things in the DC area. Had to go outside a bit in MD to get the affordable housing but I'm gonna pay the same amount I pay here with the same commute but one that actually can be done via Mass transit. Housing costs in my new area for my money will get me a nice 2-3 bdr 1400 sq ft townhome with a backyard and a garage. Sold!

I got a much better job with more opportunity for growth and more professional development options, way better pay than what I make here with a similar COL, much greater benefits in an area that actually has jobs.

For me this is the best move - I do think San Diego is beautiful - and if you love the outdoors it's a good pick if you can afford it. For me my priorities are elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM

686 posts, read 1,138,092 times
Congratulations JosephineBeth!

I agree with most of what you are saying. I'm spending the summer working on a project in midtown Manhattan and ended up in Jackson Heights, Queens. I am a 15 minute subway ride from my office on an express train and so far I am loving it here. The subway is so much better than the SD freeways and the daily road rage. I have a beautiful older apartment on a nice tree lined block away from the chaos of Roosevelt Ave and there seems to be true sense of community here. I say hi to my neighbors and the super as well as other folks on my block. This never happened in SD for some reason. My apt is $1000 a month and I have seen some coops in the mid 100s price range here. And they are nice! The diversity here is truly incredible. I could see how some folks would think it was dirty but there is always something to do and the transit runs 24 hours. The weather is super hot and humid but the salaries (in IT) are literally triple what they are in SD with many more jobs. And the male female ratio is MUCH better for guys.

SD is cool for what it is, but if I can stay here I will.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 PM

57 posts, read 95,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
Congratulations JosephineBeth!

I agree with most of what you are saying. I'm spending the summer working on a project in midtown Manhattan and ended up in Jackson Heights, Queens. I am a 15 minute subway ride from my office on an express train and so far I am loving it here. The subway is so much better than the SD freeways and the daily road rage. I have a beautiful older apartment on a nice tree lined block away from the chaos of Roosevelt Ave and there seems to be true sense of community here. I say hi to my neighbors and the super as well as other folks on my block. This never happened in SD for some reason. My apt is $1000 a month and I have seen some coops in the mid 100s price range here. And they are nice! The diversity here is truly incredible. I could see how some folks would think it was dirty but there is always something to do and the transit runs 24 hours. The weather is super hot and humid but the salaries (in IT) are literally triple what they are in SD with many more jobs. And the male female ratio is MUCH better for guys.

SD is cool for what it is, but if I can stay here I will.
Glad you like NYC!You will love the atmosphere during the holidays there because of that holiday feel and surprisingly most people are nicer that time of the year. Please tell me you've had a bagel/slice of pizza there! I live in NJ and when I visit San Diego (Plan to move out there some time in the future). I tried a bagel and didn't like it. I don't bother even trying pizza there lol. With culture, NYC is def one of the most diverse places in the US. You should definitely try the many ethnic foods you can get in NYC

Old 07-06-2011, 10:25 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
Wink Congrats and Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBeth View Post
I'm leaving on a jet plane in 25 more days. Been here 23 years. I agree with Pharmboy - the middle class is dissappearing here. I have very few staff under 30 that are living on their own (they still live with mom and dad at 28!) and they all drive BMV's and Mercedes - it's very very odd to me. Their priorities are all whacked --- it is ALL about appearance. I'm worried for that generation.

My top reasons for moving

1. Affordable housing and lack thereof
2. No sense of real community here - anonymous living
3. School quality declining
4. A salary level that does not support the COL - and is much lower than other areas
5. High Cost of everything from car registration to taxes

6. It's boring to me. I'm not an outdoors person - I want culture, arts, beautiful architecture a place rich in history. Maybe I've just BTDT too much with most of what SD has to offer in that regard -- I need a big change.

Many other posts got it right as well. The lay off's, state budget crisis, much lower pay comparably than other jobs, under and un employed friends, etc.

I think SD is a nice place for sure. I do, however, want to scream everytime someone says "THE WEATHER". I'm not drinking that Kool Aid any longer. It's as if the weather alone must make up for everything else lacking. Well I've enjoyed it for 23 years now it is someone else's turn.

I want a great job, a cost of living where I can afford to buy a modest house (not a tiny 1 bdr condo!), a rich cultural environment with lots of history, mass transit that WORKS, and a professional hockey team!

I found all these things in the DC area. Had to go outside a bit in MD to get the affordable housing but I'm gonna pay the same amount I pay here with the same commute but one that actually can be done via Mass transit. Housing costs in my new area for my money will get me a nice 2-3 bdr 1400 sq ft townhome with a backyard and a garage. Sold!

I got a much better job with more opportunity for growth and more professional development options, way better pay than what I make here with a similar COL, much greater benefits in an area that actually has jobs.

For me this is the best move - I do think San Diego is beautiful - and if you love the outdoors it's a good pick if you can afford it. For me my priorities are elsewhere.
Well, I must warn you. DC is no better than San Diego with the exception of cheaper housing...but wait until you get your property tax bill!! YIKES!! That will make you understand why the housing is so much cheaper.

Also, Maryland is as pretentious and materialistic as places come. Much more than San Diego.

I'm glad you found employment though. Not that hard in DC's metro though - GOVERNMENTLAND. Enjoy, truly! I've lived here for three years and can't wait to leave this H*ll Hole. Two winter storms is enough for me!

When I left San Diego in '07 I thought that it could possibly be a good thing...boy was I wrong. You get what you pay for. That's all I'm saying.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
1. You can't afford it
2. You don't have any degrees
3. You have champagne taste on a beer budget (see #1)
4. You don't own a car (HELLO, it's California, we are a CAR state)
5. You like being the center of attention (Arguably, no one will notice you here!)

These are my five.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
1. You can't afford it
2. You don't have any degrees
3. You have champagne taste on a beer budget (see #1)
4. You don't own a car (HELLO, it's California, we are a CAR state)
5. You like being the center of attention (Arguably, no one will notice you here!)

These are my five.
#5 is so true. You could be popular in one place (most likely a smaller town and not a big city like LA or NYC), then move to SD and feel like a little fish in a big pond (though not as bad as if you were to move to LA or NYC).

I also agree with #4. After living in Japan, I got so used to using public transit there, even though I owned a car. For going anywhere in Central Tokyo, it is actually better to take the train. It is cheaper, faster, and less stressful. If you actually lived in Tokyo, it is more of a hassle to own a car than a convenience. You have to pay so many extra fees. I was just in London recently and that is another city that is that way. In San Diego, if you owned a car you have no reason to take public transit. It can take you an hour and a half with all the transfers to get somewhere that's a 20 minute drive. I wish San Diego did have a train system like they have in Japan. In California, the Bay Area has a decent system, and LA looks like they plan to rapidly expand theirs in the next 10 years. In SD, right now it looks like the Mid-Coast Line is the only active rail expansion.

One thing that I changed from my post on this thread 4 years ago, is that I would NOT rather live in LA than SD. If I lived in SD, I can always take the 2 hour drive to LA if I ever wanted to go up there (then drive back home). I just don't care to live in it. After living in the Tokyo area, a 2 hour drive is nothing. It took that long from my house to the Narita Airport (or longer if there was traffic). Also after living in Japan, I can't really complain about the COL of California.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:48 PM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
1. No snow
2. No ice
3. No skeeters (compared to the rest of the planet)
4. No tornadoes or hurricanes
5. No winter clothes

Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,966 times
You guys are scaring me. I have been stuck down here in southern MS and southern LA before that for so long that I feel there is no reason to live. I have lived in both NYC and San Diego and have never been met with so much agression and unfriendly people in all my life as here. They can tell when you're not local and if you're not God help you. I'm exhausted trying to fit in with this place and now after years of promises from my husband that we are leaving and nothing happens I have resigned to the fact that I have to go on my own. I can't find a job and my surgeon also from Tulane told me in order to get a job here I have to tell them I dropped out in 9th grade. As funny and pathetic as it sound I am begging you dear posters to please tell me where you DO reccomend an escape route to. I miss city life and culture. The suburbs here are unbearable. Six cars in the driveway of modest houses and they're so freaky they can't even wave over to me the newbie. Help!! Thanks for reading my more than just a little frightened rant. Have to get out of here.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 PM

110 posts, read 376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
2) Grown men riding skate boards-biologically mature men (25-30), some even starting to bald, riding a board. I have never seen that anywhere. I think bikes and human powered scooters are just terrific for eco transport, but skateboards over 21 kind of cracks me up.
Why do grown men riding skateboards crack you up? I'm way old and I still ride a skateboard, skate bowls, ollie curbs and whatnot. I wouldn't stop skating any more than I would stop playing basketball or skiing. Is it a perceived image you crack up on or is it something of more substance that makes you crack up? Anyone else crack up when they see old guys skating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego