Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 PM

84 posts, read 342,351 times

Advertisements

your opinion is highly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 07:17 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,259,662 times
The traffic, the idiots who like to drive on the far outside land and cut in, fires, air quality and small yards no privacy. I just cashed out. My two cents.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
You don't care about perfect weather 50 weeks per year.
You are in a line of work that allows you to work where ever you want.
You have kids and you want to buy a house in a nice neighborhood with good schools without a bad commute and you can't afford this in San Diego.
You hate the Padres and the Los Angeles Chargers.

That's all I can think of.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:28 PM

74 posts, read 370,935 times
Reasons to move to San Diego
1. Weather- some of the best in the country, average rainfall about 10 inches
2. Ocean - San Diego county has like 70 miles of coastline, lots of beaches
3. Balboa Park- plenty of museums, Natural History, Aerospace, Museum of Man, Automotive Museum, art museums and more
4. San Diego Zoo- while technically in Balboa Park deserves its own
5. UCSD, SDSU, and USD - good schools especially UCSD
6. Chargers and Padres sporting teams
7. Gaslamp district
8. Seaworld
9. Wild Animal Park - technically in San Diego county

Reasons not to move here
1. High home prices make it a high cost area, wages aren't particularly high considering the cost to live here
2. Crowded highways- the county has around 3 million people and the roads and other infrastructure just hasn't keep up with the growth.
3. Tourist destination make the beachs extra crowded during major holidays.
4. No professional hockey team

These are some reasons to come here and reasons not to. I really enjoyed the first 10 yrs I lived here ie in my 20's and early 30's but lately I think its time for me to leave.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:26 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Only 5? I can come up with 10 reasons not to move to San Diego:

1. Too expensive
2. Too crowded (traffic, lack of parking, long lines)
3. Poor mass transit (also reason for #2)
4. Too many rude, snotty, pretentious, materialistic people
5. People stuck on the small town mentality which makes everything slower, not accepting the reality that there are 3 million people in S.D. County, which causes frustrating delays
6. Terrible drivers (either inconsiderate, or just stupid)
7. Fires (price to pay for the perfect weather of no rain)
8. Beaches aren't that great (ugly sand, too cold, bunch of seaweed in the water)
9. The scenery isn't that attractive, except for the ocean and bay, sand and palm trees. Mountains are dry and brown. I prefer Pacific NW or Colorado Rockies type of scenery.
10. If you're going to live in SoCal, you might as well live in L.A. where it is more exiting and you have more to write home about, and brag to your friends and family back home that you have celebraties living within a 10 mile radius of you, and you never know when there will be red carpet and spotlights on Hollywood Blvd.

Reasons TO move to San Diego:
1. If you like to surf it's a good spot (but you'll need a wet suit most of the year)
2. If you're single it's a fun place (a lot of good bars in Gaslamp and P.B.)
3. If you absolutely hate rain and don't mind the risk of fires
4. If you love California but don't care for L.A.
5. If you make enough money and think it's worth it
6. Nice places to go: Old Town, Little Italy, Dowtown S.D., Balboa Park, La Jolla, Pacific Beach, Pt. Loma, Coronado
7. Some more nice places a little further away in S.D. County: Julian, Mt. Palomar, lakes in North/East County, dessert, some other mountains

Old 11-23-2007, 11:29 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
1. you can't afford it
2. you can't afford it
3. you can't afford it
4. you can't afford it
5. you can't afford it

Old 11-24-2007, 12:55 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
If you're going to focus on the negatives of a city that you're considering moving to, chances are good that you'll be miserable here.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:49 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
Default 5 Reasons not to?

Ok
5-Traffic,we got it on weekends sometimes here too.
4-Lousy in the sports world.I rep our teams but we are not that great.
3-Auto Theft-Big big big problem in SD county.One of the top 10 worst cities/areas every year and even making it to about 3 or 4 a few years back.
2-Weather;big time lack of seasons.Gets boring when it's the same type of weather for 19 years!!!LOL
1-Not a bang for your buck type of place

I do have 5 reasons to move to SD.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:57 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
Oh yeah-SEA and ATL I agree with your top 10,especially number five.3 Million people and slow as it can get.And our beaches are always polluted and I'm not just talking about IB.You guys know I can go on for days on why you shouldn't move here.But I got 5 counter reasons.

5.Not a violent city.Low homicide rate
4.School;as mentioned above
3.The place that most people in the world want to be at.Beach,Zoo,Sea World=),and Downtown have life in the summer
2.It's big;3 million people,diverse,and we have things other cities don't have but they want.
1.If you got the money........

Old 11-27-2007, 08:24 AM

11 posts, read 98,073 times
Too expensive to live in a safe place with low crime
Too hard to get from A to B because of traffic
Terrible services i.e. schools, medical, etc.
Crime
Dirty

I lived there for 25 years and I will never set foot back there again. What a nightmare that place became!
Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego