Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,332 times

Advertisements

Cortez Hill is in walking distance to two Law School campuses. Does that mean it is a great location to rent an apartment while attending law school in San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
It's close to the law school but there are no super markets nearby and you'd need a car to get just about any where.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:33 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnamiDave View Post
Cortez Hill is in walking distance to two Law School campuses. Does that mean it is a great location to rent an apartment while attending law school in San Diego?
Sure, its a safe and clean area. I remember being blown away by a 1 bed room apartment that I viewed at El Cortez building, they have nice amenities but it was out of my budget at the time. There are other nice apartment buildings in that area.

California School of Law and the Thomas Jefferson (TJ) School of Law are both downtown San Diego but on opposite ends. CA school of law would be in Cortez Hill and TJ School of Law is in East Village. East Village also has some good buildings to rent in.

Both are within walking distance of each other but are really about 10 blocks apart so not that close, but walkable. If you will not have a car while in San Diego, I would live somewhere near the trolley. TJ School of Law is right near the 12th and Market stop and CA School of Law is about 4 blocks from the 5th Ave stop.

There are two grocery stores downtown, Ralphs in the Gaslamp and Albertsons on 15th in East Village among other smaller markets. So long as you live near the trolley line, a car will be optional.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
There are now three grocery stores downtown. A Jimbos opened up inside of Horton Plaza.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There are now three grocery stores downtown. A Jimbos opened up inside of Horton Plaza.
What in the world is a Jimbo's? From there website, it looks like a Whole Foods copy cat.
Where in the mall did they put it? At the old Mervyns?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:50 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
What in the world is a Jimbo's? From there website, it looks like a Whole Foods copy cat.
Yup, its at the old Mervyn's. Though I am wondering how business is there. There are huge wooden signs up all around the area on Broadway as they are redoing that whole plaza. Jimbos is a local brand and yes, is like a smaller Whole Foods.

Off topic, but we stopped by The Headquarters and its great to see it finally going. Its really a nice addition to the area and will really tie in all the planned development on the bay side on N Harbor. Just great.

As far as Cortez Hill being the best place to live for downtown a Law Student and renting? I suppose it would be as its convenient and a bit quieter than closer to the Gaslamp and goings on down the hill.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 11-27-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I've never been in one, but I think it's supposed to be like Sprouts.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I've never been in one, but I think it's supposed to be like Sprouts.

There is a Jimbos in Del Mar Heights town plaza. It's a mixture of organic and raw food like Whole Foods, a lot of locally grown produce, a hot bar, salad bar, cookies/pastries, etc and so on. The one in Del Mar is small, but gets crowded now and again. As far as comparing it to Whole Foods, they aren't that far apart on cost on certain items.

I would say it's kind of like People's Market in Ocean Beach, just without the co-op and a few more groceries for normal everyday shoppers. I go to Jimbos, Ralphs, & Whole Foods. Whole Foods is more the 'experience' these days as they have places to sit and eat, a restaurant/bar, and so on. Whole Foods in Del Mar even has Electric charging stations coming. So you could go charge your car, eat a burger and drink a beer while watching a football game, and then go to some grocery shopping.
Jimbos has a lot of friendly employees, but it's a bit tight and small, and it's more of the, shop here, eat later at home kind of place.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yup, its at the old Mervyn's. Though I am wondering how business is there. There are huge wooden signs up all around the area on Broadway as they are redoing that whole plaza. Jimbos is a local brand and yes, is like a smaller Whole Foods.

Off topic, but we stopped by The Headquarters and its great to see it finally going. Its really a nice addition to the area and will really tie in all the planned development on the bay side on N Harbor. Just great.

As far as Cortez Hill being the best place to live for downtown a Law Student and renting? I suppose it would be as its convenient and a bit quieter than closer to the Gaslamp and goings on down the hill.

I thought so, that is the only locale in the Mall that could hold a grocery store, unless they kicked out the CVS, Macy's or 24 Hour Fitness.

What are they going to put where the old Sam Goody's used to be? Last time I was there, maybe about a month ago, it was completely demolished.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
That location is being turned into a giant downtown plaza. Sort of a Red Square for Downtown. In addition to being the very center of Downtown, it will open up Horton Plaza more to the outside. Initially Horton was built as more of a downtown fortress protected from the unsavory elements. Now that Downtown is on the upswing, the desire is to open up Horton Plaza and make it more inviting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego