Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,200,857 times

Advertisements

I did not read all the posts related to the OP's original post.

I say, "GO FOR IT" do whatever you want to do. You are always going to hear the negative from people because most people are negative in nature. You only live one life. You sound very intelligent and I know you will do your research, to find exactly the areas to park your car and I can identify a life of nowhere land, just go and do you thing without attachments. I have yearned to do the same thing, although I was thinking about renting a room. My body is breaking down and I am afraid my dream has become shattered but go for it and I wish you all the best and ignore the naysayers. Jeez, people let up on her. If she has to take a whiz during the middle of night, they have devices made for women so they don't get a drop on them and it goes in a bottle. No big thing.

HAVE FUN< OP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:09 PM

35 posts, read 78,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
You really should win the $500, IMO. It'll really get interesting if/when you actually head out to SD, unless of course you actually change your mind and do it the 'sensible' way.. Keep us posted.

What $500??

Old 12-14-2013, 08:16 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peasantgirl View Post
What $500??
Yep! Our site moderator was able to retire early thanks to his witty and informative posts.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I did not read all the posts related to the OP's original post.

I say, "GO FOR IT" do whatever you want to do. You are always going to hear the negative from people because most people are negative in nature. You only live one life. You sound very intelligent and I know you will do your research, to find exactly the areas to park your car and I can identify a life of nowhere land, just go and do you thing without attachments. I have yearned to do the same thing, although I was thinking about renting a room. My body is breaking down and I am afraid my dream has become shattered but go for it and I wish you all the best and ignore the naysayers. Jeez, people let up on her. If she has to take a whiz during the middle of night, they have devices made for women so they don't get a drop on them and it goes in a bottle. No big thing.

HAVE FUN< OP!!!
Awww, thank you so much, sweetie. I appreciate the support. I know I can't please everybody; there are always going to be people that disapprove, no matter WHAT I do. I have finally figured out that I can only please myself (as long as I don't hurt anyone else along the way). And I want to do this before I get too old. I am fortunate that I have a safety net in that I own my own home and can always "come home".

Don't worry about the naysayers; I don't let them bother me. Heck, I'm too old to care, LOL. Y'all notice that the older you get, the less you give a flying rat's prostate what people care? I was humming earlier and then I realized I was actually singing, "I wanna live in a van.....down by the river...oh yeah"....LMAO. I WANT to live in a van by the river! I want to throw off all of society's trappings and just be ME and the planet. I want to be Grizzly Adams, lol. I want to be totally self-sufficient; I want to hunt and trap and grow all my own food, and....

Wait a minute....back up...I might have got a little carried away there....for the record I have *NOT* had any Bacardi tonight.....

And still no typos! Damn I'm good...

Old 12-14-2013, 08:22 PM

Ok, I blame it on this guy Homeless Whiskey | Hitek Homeless I was reading his blog, and I'm not normally a drinker, but I got a hankerin' for some alky-hall, and well.....I ain't sayin' nuthin else....

Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,188,685 times
the trick is being anonymous so nobody knows you are doing it. Try converting a van. You can sleep in one and people will think it's just a van sitting there.

http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/32...iving-in-a-van

Old 12-14-2013, 08:35 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
the trick is being anonymous so nobody knows you are doing it. Try converting a van. You can sleep in one and people will think it's just a van sitting there.

Living in a Van
My navy buddy has one of these vans. Its his "land home" and he takes it everywhere on his spare time.

He lives full time on a small boat right on a marina South of Coronado Island. I sometimes wish I were as mobile as he, but his a$$ belongs to Uncle Sam so he is not as free as wants me to believe.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,937 times
I think unquiltom is being overly cautious when warning you about "getting into the system." I'd be more worried about being suspected of DUI than vagrancy. Stay in a neighborhood where there is a lot of turnover in street parking and a lot of young people. Golden Hill (south of Balboa Park, north of the 94, east of the 5) comes to mind.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

Living in a Van
Yep, I have definitely considered that. I've also considered a box truck; problem I have seen with a lot of those is that they don't have access from the cab. But anyway, yes, I am open to all kinds of suggestions. I have gone so far as to consider leaving my car at home and riding a motorcycle cross-country and pitching a tent full-time in the wilderness and using the bike to do my "job". To be honest, I don't think I would enjoy that, LOL. But I am open to suggestion. For 41 years I have been a non-conformist living in a conformist body and I am about to bust that mold wide open

I am just so worn out with "following the rules" and chasing the "3BR, white picket fence, 2.3 kids" scenario. That's great for someone that wants it, but it's just not me. I want to have stories to tell my grandchildren, KWIM?

Am I crazy? Maybe?

Who cares? Not me.

I won't be panhandling, I won't be using services for "homeless", I won't be on welfare, so who am I hurting? If I want to subject myself to "living in a van down by the river", well, this is still the land of the free, isn't it?

The van would definitely be preferable to living out of my car, but since I plan to be camping most of the time, and I don't currently have a van....I'd buy a small pop-u or RV before a van, I think. If I already HAD a van, that'd be different.

But, yes, your point about being anonymous, that is key. I don't ever want anyone to see me and think "homeless". Worst case scenario is they should think "tourist". I just want to be FREEEEE.....

shutting up now before the alky-hall takes over....

Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtaxi View Post
I think unquiltom is being overly cautious when warning you about "getting into the system." I'd be more worried about being suspected of DUI than vagrancy. Stay in a neighborhood where there is a lot of turnover in street parking and a lot of young people. Golden Hill (south of Balboa Park, north of the 94, east of the 5) comes to mind.
I'll leave the Bacardi at home, lol.

Thanks for the great advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego