Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It isn't just a CA thing. I've heard that Florida's anti smoking laws rank up there with ours too. As 1angrytaxpayer said, these things wouldn't happen if people were responsible and considerate of others.
They don't. Florida allows smoking inside bars that are "stand-alone" or not attached to a restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Not to mention with 75 miles of beaches in the county surely they could designate some as family friendly and others as adult friendly. Why does it have to be EVERYTHING is alcohol free?
Most of these issues were brought up and either people didn't vote or they voted for these laws. The "no drinking on beaches" got passed easily. I remember when that happened and it was kind of sad, but the truth is, either most young people didn't give a damn, don't plan to live in San diego long enough, or they just don't vote.

And so thats how it goes with most things. When some of these issues have passed with flying colors, like the alcohol ban on the beaches, it's just the reality of the citizen who lives and votes in San diego. Not being able to accept the fact is the problem.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Most of these issues were brought up and either people didn't vote or they voted for these laws. The "no drinking on beaches" got passed easily. I remember when that happened and it was kind of sad, but the truth is, either most young people didn't give a damn, don't plan to live in San diego long enough, or they just don't vote.

And so thats how it goes with most things. When some of these issues have passed with flying colors, like the alcohol ban on the beaches, it's just the reality of the citizen who lives and votes in San diego. Not being able to accept the fact is the problem.
The part that was really lame about that one (and many others) is that it was written to sucker the average voter who barely skims over the prop. I didn't talk to anyone who voted for this that knew it would encompass every single square inch of public property inside City limits.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The part that was really lame about that one (and many others) is that it was written to sucker the average voter who barely skims over the prop. I didn't talk to anyone who voted for this that knew it would encompass every single square inch of public property inside City limits.
What? You can drink at Balboa park and quite a lot of the city parks. Example: Rules and Regulations | Balboa Park

Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Props are (almost) always written to sneak someone's agenda past those who wouldn't agree with it. Part of the responsibility of voting is to look at all sides of an issue before making a decision. I don't feel too bad for people who don't bother to do that and then get 'saddled' with regulations they don't want.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Props are (almost) always written to sneak someone's agenda past those who wouldn't agree with it. Part of the responsibility of voting is to look at all sides of an issue before making a decision. I don't feel too bad for people who don't bother to do that and then get 'saddled' with regulations they don't want.
Unfortunately, it usually stays that way until it gets reversed years later, if ever. We truly are becoming LA.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
What? You can drink at Balboa park and quite a lot of the city parks. Example: Rules and Regulations | Balboa Park
True but the parks we used to be able to walk to or ride bikes no longer allows it. I am not a drinking and driver type. Many parks are a long way from "the beach" where the focus (problem) was supposed to be.

So, that got me thinking, where can you? I found this

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...0cc24a1c&msa=0

Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
True but the parks we used to be able to walk to or ride bikes no longer allows it. I am not a drinking and driver type. Many parks are a long way from "the beach" where the focus (problem) was supposed to be.
Well, that's very different than "every single square inch of public property inside City limits" which is the statement that I was refuting. I'm within walking/biking distance of quite a few public spaces where it's legal to kick back and have a brewski

PS, that's a super-handy map! Thanks!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Well, that's very different than "every single square inch of public property inside City limits" which is the statement that I was refuting. I'm within walking/biking distance of quite a few public spaces where it's legal to kick back and have a brewski

PS, that's a super-handy map! Thanks!

But, if you take all the park space as a whole from before and compare to what's left it's probably less than 10%. I don't know how I would prove or disprove it but it can't be much.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 PM

146 posts, read 189,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
California: It's Not for Everyone
+1.
Folks who like to poison themselves with tobacco and alcohol should consider east coast instead - this is where you cannot survive without those trying to escape cold grey humid greed driven reality.
California is for happy, healthy and smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego