Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm looking for a really nice beach resort. Price is not an issue. Can someone recommend the top three beach resorts in the area? We have two under the age of 8. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
In this order for family friendly beach resorts.

Hotel Del Coronado
San Diego Resort | Coronado CA Hotel | Hotel Del Coronado

Bahia Hotel (near Sea World and beaches)
San Diego Hotels | Bahia Resort Hotel, San Diego, CA

The Lodge @ Torrey Pines (but more for adults)

Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
I have never stayed here, but its a fun place to take out of towners and just walk around the resort. Its on Vacation Island on Mission Bay.

San Diego Resorts, Hotels & Spas | Paradise Point Resort & Spa | Mission Bay Hotels & Resorts

Old 01-15-2014, 05:27 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Pier South in Imperial Beach

Imperial Beach Resort / San Diego, Ca

Old 01-15-2014, 05:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Pier South in Imperial Beach

Imperial Beach Resort / San Diego, Ca
hey hitmannhave you been yet? I am heading there tomorrow to check out the tavern.

Additionally, the Loews Coronado is also very kid friendly.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:01 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Hi. I'm looking for a really nice beach resort. Price is not an issue. Can someone recommend the top three beach resorts in the area? We have two under the age of 8. Thanks.
If you want a true beach resort, then I would also suggest the Hotel Del. Just know that it's over a 100 years old, which means it won't be the most modern facility.

If you are looking for the best of the best and don't need to be right on the water, then check out The Grand Del Mar in Carmel Valley, Aviara Resort in Carlsbad, L'Auberge in Del Mar and The Lodge at Torrey Pines and Estancia, both in La Jolla.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:46 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Estancia is great! ( I love their Mustangs and Burros outdoor/indoor restaurant/bar...and their grounds are lovely, too.) And they have a great pool area; it's a mixed group of guests and family friendly. But not 'Mission Bay Hilton huge, fish shaped water floats, pedal boat rentals, stereotypical family resort' kind of place. It's a little quieter and more reserved. I've stayed at Estancia and eaten there/visited the spa many times. I'd call it open to families, but not a family resort, just to give the OP more descriptors. (: Also, I would not classify their rooms or location as 'best of the best'. Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel would fit that more, in my view. But estancia is really nice. The rooms are a bit small-even the suites are not huge. The grounds and building style have a spanish colonial feel, as designed that way. [But the inside of the rooms is pretty generic hilton type of rooms].

Also, Estancia is dog friendly. This is something to consider for the OP: Many hotels in SD now allow pets everywhere but the restaurants and actually 'in' the pool. Some allow them near the pool as long as they don't swim. Some have designated pet rooms; others simply say 'we clean the rooms really well in between guests'. Might not be a concern for everyone, but worth mentioning.

Mission Bay Hilton: I've not stayed there, but have used the pool and visited ppl staying there. It's not the most amazing beach, ,since it's the bay, but it's a pretty spot and very convenient to other attractions. It's quite family centric, in my experience.

Carlsbad would be a good choice (I don't know the area very well).

I recommend La Jolla Shores (not LJ Cove downtown, but the Shores)-it's in a residential neighborhood, the beach has a large grassy area with playground in addition to mellower waters and nice, soft sand. It's a great spot for families with young children. I practically lived there when my kids were little, going year round.

There are a couple of hotels in the area. My parents stayed in this one a few years back when visiting me:
La Jolla Shores Hotel | Family Vacation San Diego, CA | Beachfront Event Venue - The Shores Hotel

The room they stayed in was decent. The reviews online are solid. The location really cannot be beat-it's right on the beach and adjacent to the public beach with play structure, etc. [LJ Shores is a very clean, quiet area-not a party beach and if you go off season, not particularly crowded relative to its size and amenities.]

The neighborhood has a few little restaurants and a dive/snorkel/kayak rental shop. Otherwise, it's a few miles drive into LJ proper for more restaurant choices, outside of the hotel's dining.

The hotel's 'Marine Room' restaurant is kind of a SD institution, like the Brigantine.
The Marine Room | San Diego, California | Beachfront Fine Dining Restaurant, CA - The Marine Room

Last edited by lrmsd; 01-16-2014 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-16-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I have never stayed here, but its a fun place to take out of towners and just walk around the resort. Its on Vacation Island on Mission Bay.

San Diego Resorts, Hotels & Spas | Paradise Point Resort & Spa | Mission Bay Hotels & Resorts
Vacation Island is always worth a look. Lots of nice, family friendly resorts there.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
If you want a true beach resort, then I would also suggest the Hotel Del. Just know that it's over a 100 years old, which means it won't be the most modern facility.

If you are looking for the best of the best and don't need to be right on the water, then check out The Grand Del Mar in Carmel Valley, Aviara Resort in Carlsbad, L'Auberge in Del Mar and The Lodge at Torrey Pines and Estancia, both in La Jolla.
L'auberge is nice, but IMO kind of stuffy and cramped location wise. But, it is walking distance to a fabulous family friendly beach and park, lots of great restaurants with ocean views and happy hour [happy hour foods, not even the drinks! lol]....Good location if you want to walk to amenities. Depends if OP wants more of a mellow family resort with beach time vs. walking around shops if the kids/parents get bored.

Torrey Pines Lodge is GORGEOUS. Hands down. Next to Torrey Pines State Beach and the famous TP Golf Course. I don't consider it a top family resort with young kids, and it's pretty isolated, relative to the others [though it's just down the street from Estancia a ways...]. My .02.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:05 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
...The hotel's 'Marine Room' restaurant is kind of a SD institution, like the Brigantine.
The Marine Room | San Diego, California | Beachfront Fine Dining Restaurant, CA - The Marine Room
I cringe to see these two places mentioned in the same sentence. Brigantine is a (mediocre, IMO) chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego