Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 AM

20 posts, read 50,580 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Would renting in Poway or Carlsbad or Carmel Valley) make sense while we put our house in VA for rent?

That way, we still can own a house and put money into our mortgage payment and enjoy CA?

We own a home in Manassas, VA(about 50mn from DC). We purchased it at $440,000. It's 3300 sq foot, 4 bedrooms, full basement and comes with 2 and 10 year warranties. The value of our house has drastically increased and is expected to slowly do so overtime, as we purchased it new, a lot cheaper at rates historically low, assigned to very good schools, quiet and safe.

The main reasons we're moving are the weather, and limited activities and fun things to do with kids, its either far, or its too hot or too cold to be outside, etc... We think San Diego is a wonderful (but expensive) to raise kids ( wonderful weather, legoland, beaches, disneyland, balboa parks etc...). You all live in paradise.

First of all, our chance to ever own a home in the Poway areas within our budget ($450,000) is quite slim--and we may think to move back when our kids are older may be in 10 or 15 years. With CA being in a financial mess (please no offense), there's a lot of uncertainty when it comes to owning a home there.

Our maximum budget for rent is $3,000 a month for 3 bedrooms/1 or 2 bath; house or apartment ok- safe, pool, family friendly, somewhat quiet, ( we can sleep through the night without constant loud, drunk party goers) and good schools nes that have smaller class sizes (hard I know) , OR ones that have good parents involvement/volunteering to fill in and help teachers giving students more one-on-one attention AND good programs such as music, PE, Art?) We know we can't have it all but we can make the best of what we have. We want to know the reality: good, bad and ugly before moving our family across the country.

Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Decision to rent and 'try out the so cal lifestyle' sound reasonable to me. Sounds like a practical plan on your part. I'm in Carmel Valley; kids go to this school district. We home schooled and did charter schools before. We like the district, but kids are older so don't know about in classroom parent volunteers. 3k a month is on the low end here for a home rental, as most homes are newer so they are 4 bedrooms, or 2 bedroom townhomes/condos. [I have mostly seen 2 bedroom for apartments, etc] But exceptions are possible. Some places just hang signs out front and don't advertise.

So if you are in the area, drive around, especially the cul de sacs around Carmel Creek elementary [k-4], Solana Pacific [grade 5-6] and CV middle school [7-8] and see what you can find. I have seen SFH rentals for as low as 2800 and some for 3200.

All the CV schools [and the other two districts you mentioned] have amazing resources as far as regular PE, Art, music options, etc]. CV kids have PE more than once per week, and the grade 5-6 school has supervised recess sports, run by staff they hired, complete with teams and tournaments with rotating sports [optional for kids who wanted it]. I was really impressed with the music and art at Solana Pacific, too. The middle school transitions to traditional single class periods, where the kids pick an additional elective-foreign language, art, digital media, theater, music, etc, and the kids can do ISPE where the use an outside sport not offered at school, to cover their elective and/or PE. But PE is otherwise part of the curriculum along with math, english, the usual suspects.... Some kids use archery or professional theater troupe, etc. Solana Pacific [the school I have the most experience with first hand] had parent volunteers for math groupings. Class sizes really weren't a big deal and are not in the middle school either-the kids, depending on the teacher/subject, may work in groups on projects, etc.

Poway sounds like it might be a better fit for you, just on paper. But you should really look around 'on the ground' before deciding. Carlsbad is great, too.

FYI, regardless of CA financial budget issues, etc., I do not see the SD real estate market crashing anytime soon. And the 3 districts you mentioned will DEFINITELY continue to hold their real estate value, and continue rising slowly, in my opinion. [over the next couple of decades, anyway]. Obviously, I do not have a crystal ball, but based on many factors, I do not see the areas going downhill in any way in the near future. CV and Carlsbad will also continue to see retirees as well as families, further adding to their property values. The hot coastal real estate markets in SD are not dependent on the CA state budget all that much, unless there were a complete and overnight implosion and lack of major city or county services, of course. People who want and have the means to live here will do so.

There are many areas of SD that will not have loud, rude party goers. There are many family oriented suburbs. Your post seems to allude to a fair amount of CA stereotyping on your part [class sizes, CA budget perceptions, etc]. Not sure if that was intended or if it's a misread on my part. I do understand that east coast 'schools' etc are believed to trump others [I'm originally from MA and the schools are generally good to great, I agree.]. I will say that CA is refreshing in that academic elitism and old school boys club rat race are not really part of the landscape. I think, to enjoy the most of what SD has to offer, its best to leave those concepts at the door.

Of course, so cal is image conscious and class conscious. It's just in a very superficial manner, and not really intellectually or career/professional status oriented (this can also be seen as a downfall of the area, for some). It has image status re: car, size of home, etc. But its class stuff isn't ingrained for centuries as it is on the east coast. N. VA in particular has the DC lot to contend with. No one really cares about this in SD. It's a fairly apathetic populace, but friendly with many caring people, on the whole (in my experience of living here 10 years). Good luck to you!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:27 PM

Thank you. My husband and I are planning to come to the area in march and will drive and look through these neighborhoods. We will see.

I wasn't stereotyping at all about the party goers. It can happen in any areas that have a busy nightlife. I know some of the areas I mentioned are not bedroom communities. People in so cal aren't stereotyped to be party goers, but rather laid back.

Thanks for responding!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:19 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Decision to rent and 'try out the so cal lifestyle' sound reasonable to me. Sounds like a practical plan on your part. I'm in Carmel Valley; kids go to this school district. We home schooled and did charter schools before. We like the district, but kids are older so don't know about in classroom parent volunteers. 3k a month is on the low end here for a home rental, as most homes are newer so they are 4 bedrooms, or 2 bedroom townhomes/condos. [I have mostly seen 2 bedroom for apartments, etc] But exceptions are possible. Some places just hang signs out front and don't advertise.

So if you are in the area, drive around, especially the cul de sacs around Carmel Creek elementary [k-4], Solana Pacific [grade 5-6] and CV middle school [7-8] and see what you can find. I have seen SFH rentals for as low as 2800 and some for 3200.

All the CV schools [and the other two districts you mentioned] have amazing resources as far as regular PE, Art, music options, etc]. CV kids have PE more than once per week, and the grade 5-6 school has supervised recess sports, run by staff they hired, complete with teams and tournaments with rotating sports [optional for kids who wanted it]. I was really impressed with the music and art at Solana Pacific, too. The middle school transitions to traditional single class periods, where the kids pick an additional elective-foreign language, art, digital media, theater, music, etc, and the kids can do ISPE where the use an outside sport not offered at school, to cover their elective and/or PE. But PE is otherwise part of the curriculum along with math, english, the usual suspects.... Some kids use archery or professional theater troupe, etc. Solana Pacific [the school I have the most experience with first hand] had parent volunteers for math groupings. Class sizes really weren't a big deal and are not in the middle school either-the kids, depending on the teacher/subject, may work in groups on projects, etc.

Poway sounds like it might be a better fit for you, just on paper. But you should really look around 'on the ground' before deciding. Carlsbad is great, too.

FYI, regardless of CA financial budget issues, etc., I do not see the SD real estate market crashing anytime soon. And the 3 districts you mentioned will DEFINITELY continue to hold their real estate value, and continue rising slowly, in my opinion. [over the next couple of decades, anyway]. Obviously, I do not have a crystal ball, but based on many factors, I do not see the areas going downhill in any way in the near future. CV and Carlsbad will also continue to see retirees as well as families, further adding to their property values. The hot coastal real estate markets in SD are not dependent on the CA state budget all that much, unless there were a complete and overnight implosion and lack of major city or county services, of course. People who want and have the means to live here will do so.

There are many areas of SD that will not have loud, rude party goers. There are many family oriented suburbs. Your post seems to allude to a fair amount of CA stereotyping on your part [class sizes, CA budget perceptions, etc]. Not sure if that was intended or if it's a misread on my part. I do understand that east coast 'schools' etc are believed to trump others [I'm originally from MA and the schools are generally good to great, I agree.]. I will say that CA is refreshing in that academic elitism and old school boys club rat race are not really part of the landscape. I think, to enjoy the most of what SD has to offer, its best to leave those concepts at the door.

Of course, so cal is image conscious and class conscious. It's just in a very superficial manner, and not really intellectually or career/professional status oriented (this can also be seen as a downfall of the area, for some). It has image status re: car, size of home, etc. But its class stuff isn't ingrained for centuries as it is on the east coast. N. VA in particular has the DC lot to contend with. No one really cares about this in SD. It's a fairly apathetic populace, but friendly with many caring people, on the whole (in my experience of living here 10 years). Good luck to you!
this is a great post! Very candid and realistic.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,201 times
I'm also a DC native who moved here (Pacific Beach San Diego) about two years ago after growing up in Ashburn and attending Radford University.

A couple things to consider:

- Northern Virginia has among the best public schooling possible and constantly churns out smart and successful students. Out here, it's a totally different lifestyle. That could be ingrained in your children. Not to say that kids here aren't smart or that the teachers aren't strong, because I have no reference to go by, but things in general move at a more relaxed pace.

- I'll be interested to see what you and your husband think of the Poway area during your visit, which is actually pretty rural feeling and a bit inland. Carlsbad can be beautiful, as it's on the coast and likely out of your price range.

Frankly, I love San Diego. Several of us have migrated from the DMV area in the last couple years, and there's quite a contingent of us now in the area that went to high school and college together. However, I'm 26 years old. I'm living for myself right now. There's almost a unified understanding amongst us East Coasters that we will eventually return back when it's time to start a family.

Just something to think about. The weather is hard to argue, but the theme parks you listed and parks are nothing outside of what you can find in the DMV area, frankly. Moving to San Diego to live on the beach is one thing, but moving to live 20 minutes inland? Not so much.

Best of luck!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
^^Consider me among the contingent. Grew up in Leesburg, went to school in Fairfax and moved to Ashburn after. Now I'm here

Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,268 times
I'm in the same 20-something contingent myself! Grew up in Baltimore... Went to private school and then graduated from University of Maryland. I moved to nashville just for a change after college and I'm moving out to SD later this year or possibly early 2015! Glad there are some other DMV kids out there!!

Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 AM

mrvecchio> Thanks for your insight. I agree with all the things you said. My husband and I recognize that VA is a well-run state; with more opportunities and top-notch schools and universities. That's why we have decided not to sell our house, but instead rent it and lease in the San Diego. We plan on coming back to VA when our kids are done with middle school.
But growing up from a different country, I have a slightly different perspective, I ve been in Manassas for 10 years. I grew up in a island, off Indian Ocean. We had
tropical weather all year long and I have to say, as children we were very happy because we spent our days outside playing. I may not be a big deal to some of us, but it is to me and my children.
Now, in Manassas, we get a few months of nice weather, but summer and winter are brutal to me. My body and mind are not used to it and I just don't like it. I know some people love the seasons, and love the cold and heat. It's a personal preference. To me, kids are happier when they play outside. During summer, we only get out either from 8 to 10am or wait until 5. Between these hours, we have to stay indoors. I don't know if you Manassas, but there's not much to do here locally. The mall here is not kid-friendly. So we go to Fairfax to play with the water fountains, Then somedays, we go to the malls because they do have indoor playgrounds( Fair Oaks, Dulles, Tysons's Corner etc...). Or Chick-Fil-A playgrounds, or that indoor playground in Ashburn( dont remember the name). Those all are nice but its very limited to me. You all know what traffic is like here, and I know San Diego is bad too. But at least you have anice weather. We like to be outdoors a lot, somedays, we like to spend the day at the zoo, farms, and lakes. I know its possible to do those things here in the DC area, but you only have a limited amount of time to do them because of the weather--if you're like me. Weather is beautiful here March to May; then from September to November.

My kids are young now, so I want them to enjoy their childhood to the fullest. We are considering leasing a home with a pool in Temecula- sending them to a private school K-8. My kids would fail in large classes (33:1) Living in Temecula would be kid-friendly and affordable to us, allowing us to live in a decent house with a pool while still allowing us to send our kids to private school. There is a number of affordable, very good private schools in Temecula and the class size is small. The weather in Temecula can get warm but its not that humid.Plus we would also be able to drive to San Diego during the week outside the rush hour. We're keeping our house in VA and will come back when kids are done with middle school. They can go to high schools and colleges here.
So thats just me and my family.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:38 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Your kids won't want to be playing outside in a Temecula summer. "Warm" is putting it mildly! They would get the addition of winters with better weather, though.

What do your kids think? Do they miss have issues with the weather, or is that mainly you finding that the weather in Manassas isn't as nice as the weather where you were a kid? Your kids might prefer not being uprooted twice during their lives - or maybe they wouldn't mind it (I don't know you or them).

Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
I lived briefly in the DMV area so I am familiar with the weather issues the OP has mentioned.

The bottom line is that once having moved here, you will never want to go back. From time to time you will think you may want to go back but then you will remember the oppressive summertime humidity. Or you will remember the time your car spun out on the black ice during the winter. Or you will remember the misery of the spring time humidity. Fall is the only decent time of year in DMV.

Schooling - It's all about what you make it. If you set your expectations high, your children will push themselves to attain them. Take the time to learn the classes and to find ways to fulfill high school requirements in middle school, and college requirements in high school.

About the house in Virginia, if the rent will pay the mortgage, then go ahead and keep it. The DMV Real estate market is as expensive as the San Diego market. No sense to trade in a 3 3/4% mortgage for a 4 1/2% mortgage. And if eventually you could swing two houses, one in SD and one in DMV you will be on the slow road to riches. As the saying goes, "real estate is a great way to get rich, slowly."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego