Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:13 PM

50 posts, read 185,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
I moved from Sac to SD and let me tell you, the water here down here is worse than Sac. I use to hate drinking from the tap in Sac but now I would not mind at all.
So now you drink bottled water? As opposed to hooking up a Brita apparatus or whatever?

Having to keep buying bottled water would be a drag for somebody who will need to depend on public transportation (like moi).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 06:48 PM
CEO

39 posts, read 178,296 times
I use to drink bottle water in sacramento, still do in san diego. but my new years resolution is to go out and buy a brita filter. never used one but i have a friend that says it works great.

bottle water is costing too much compared to just buying a filter. i drink alot of water. i prefer bottle water since it is easy for me to carry around.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:49 PM

Oh, I'm always toting a bottle of some kind of water. Just in case I swallow a fly and start choking or something.

I think a lot of people walk around dehydrated half the time -- and then wonder why they feel so rotten and light-headed.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
dont drink it. lead and chaulk.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
There are hundreds of commercially owned spring water refill machines located all over San Diego (in front of supermarkets, in parking lots, etc).

You can refill an empty 1 gallon bottle for around .20 or .25 cents.

That's mostly where I get my water.

There's no reason to pay for high priced bottled water in a supermarket.

If you own a water cooler (costs around $75), you can refill the large 5 gallon bottles at these machines for $1.

Last edited by RD5050; 12-03-2007 at 06:13 PM..

Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Its better than santa monica MTBE plume which has effect their water

Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
Default n Diego drinking water

While it's safe to drink, it basically tastes like drinking from a swimming pool so I drink bottled spring water.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:27 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over60 View Post
Excellent question...I was wondering about that myself.

I use a Brita pitcher here in Sacramento -- it's easy enough to use. Figured I'd take it along with me once I head on down to SD.

(OMG, like "drinking dirt"?)

When I lived in NYC, I always drank the tap water -- unfiltered. Yup, it had high marks back then -- I 'spose it still does. (??)

(Never know what you're really getting in those bottled waters.)

Oh man, I love Sacramento Water... my parents live there, in an area not part of SMUD, they're in San Juan Water's district, so maybe that's different, but I've seriously considered getting some of those 5 gallon jugs, filling them up in Sacramento, and taking them to San Diego. When I'm visiting in Sacramento, I make sure to savor the water. The filters here make the water drinkable... barely... I'm not kidding when I say that I've gagged on straight tap water down here before.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Wim

21 posts, read 88,269 times
Default Fluoride is a neuro toxin.

Having grown up in Europe in a country where the water has no residue of chlorine I have never been able to understand how anyone with any sense of taste (or health for that matter) would drink tap water anywhere in the United States. Apart from the fact that it tastes absolutely aweful (yes, like swimming pool water) substances like chlorine and chloramine are believed to be at least in part the cause of the high occurrance of colon cancer in America.
And now San Diego has started to fluoridate its water. Unless you prefer to stick your head in the sand and just believe whatever the authorities and the media wants you to believe, do yourself a favor and research the fluoride controversy/deception. Why do you think the European countries have been banning fluoridation for a long time now? Don't go by biased newspaper articles or old wife tales, but do your own research and you will find decades of scientific studies proving fluoride to be a dangerous neuro toxin used as a basis in most psychiatric medications (keeps the psychotics calm and docile).
Fluoride good for the teeth? A fable. All the scientific studies prove the opposite, it makes teeth and bones brittle. Fluoride is a toxic waste product from the chemical industry, contains lead and mercury and is a carcinogen.
Why would the city of San Diego want to poison its people in the light of decades of scientific findings about the dangers of fluoride?
Well, I'm not going to go there in this post. You may already think I'm crazy from reading this so far. But again, do your own research. Dr. Mercola compiled a lot of data on his site Natural Health Information, Health Articles and Health Newsletter by Dr. Joseph Mercola so that might be a place to start.
If you care about your health you will need to get a pretty sophisticated water filter (no, Britta doesn't do it, as it doesn't even remove chlorine, let alone the much harder to remove fluoride).
You know, I love the internet for you can find out so much, whether it is "dangers of water fluoridation" or "fluoride water filters". We live in an age where we can empower ourselves quite a bit if we choose to, with all the knowledge that is easily available. What does stun me is that in this day and age city governments in this country still get away with poisoning our public water and back up these practices with deceptive arguments.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:08 PM

Wim, I was going to ask whether SD fluoridates its water, but it looks like you've answered it for me.

When you say a pretty sophisticated water filter, do you mean something like a water distiller? Or something a lot more expensive?

Here's a link about the subject in general:

Enviroblog: Ask EWG: What can I do about fluoride in my water?

Last edited by Over60; 12-06-2007 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego