Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 PM

18 posts, read 40,332 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to North County and looking at the schools in the San Dieguito District. If we hurry we can participate in the high school selection lottery so I'm trying to help my son choose from afar. He'll be transferring in as a sophomore from a small private school. He tests off the charts and gets bored in classes that move too slow but he is also athletic and well rounded. His main interest is in science, robotics, engineering etc. He likes to play tennis and soccer. He enjoys his art and graphic design classes. We work from home and will be renting so we can pick a house La Costa or Torrey Pines as our home school. I'm trying to get a feel for what the 4x4 class structure looks like in the academies. Pros and cons would be much appreciated. TIA!

PS I'll also have kids in elementary and middle school. Lucky me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 06:06 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
You really can't go wrong with any of the schools in Torrey Pines or La Costa. They are academically top notch.

I mentor for robotics at Rancho Bernardo HS and Poway HS, which are inland from those areas. There are many nerd-enthusiast kids in those programs. They really have a lot of fun designing and building those robots, and taking them to local and out-of-state competitions. I really wish they had that when I was a kid.

I'm fairly certain that those high schools on the coast also have FIRST robotics programs.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Also, there's a 3rd option: Canyon Crest Academy [it's also in CV]. I live in CV. My child has friends in both TP and CCA [though is still in middle school], and the word on the street is that CCA is more 'academic' [TP having more sports interest/stronger athletics] and the 4x4 semesters vs. year long classes-the consensus being that the quicker turn over for classes is preferable, so you can 'double up' on classes or take additional classes you are interested in.

We also know kids at TP or have graduated from there, who are engineering track kids...so you really won't go wrong. Just that CCA is talked about as the more academic program. [kind of silly b/c TP is no slouch. I'm just sharing with the students themselves have said-how much veracity?] You'll get great art and design at TP, though CCA has offerings, as well. Also, tennis is huge in this district, as is club soccer [which is true for much of SD, though, from what I've seen].

CV lower level schools are great; in 2015 they're opening a second and brand new CV middle school, to be built next to CCA, since CV middle school is a bit overcrowded.

I think with Carlsbad, you need to research the elementary schools b/c they vary in ratings/reviews.

I think great schools dot org is good for the reviews, to get a feel for he ambiance at each place. Could you visit the campuses first, too? CCA has 1800 students, TP has 2700. La Costa Canyon 2500. Nationally and state wide (high schools), TP ranks slightly above CCA.
Canyon Crest Academy - San Diego, California - CA - School overview
Torrey Pines High School - San Diego, California - CA - School overview

Reading the reviews-many written by students-paints a bit of a picture beyond the school websites and rankings, as well.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-07-2014 at 06:59 PM..

Old 02-07-2014, 07:09 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
I also wanted to mention that in part of CV (the TP High School are), the school structure is k-4, then a 5-6 school and then 7-8 is middle school, vs. 6-8 in many districts. Solana Pacific, the 5-6, is a great school and is very well resourced-great art and music program, too. Also, if you are in CVMS district, you can also choose Earl Warren [smaller middle school with different demographics, too] or visa versa. Choices, choices!

Some schools in the 92130 zip code are part of Del Mar union [the part of CV I live in is in the solana beach district-both feed into san dieguito, as I am guessing you have figured out. (:] Del Mar union is k-6 schools and some variations thereof.

So check both SB and Del Mar to decide where to live or where you'll be attending. [Since you have kids in all 3 age groups].
Del Mar Union School District / Home
Solana Beach School District / Homepage

SP will switch next year, to 4-6, carmel creek will be k-3 and there are other changes... Yea, it's a bit confusing to me...The schools are all rock solid in CV and DM, though, from what I know.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-07-2014 at 08:36 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 07:40 AM

18 posts, read 40,332 times
So I should just relax and pick the house we like best no matter where it's at in that district? Most that I like are in the Del Mar, Carmel Valley area. I have family in Carlsbad and Encinitas and they seem to think that's too far to drive. I think anything over I-5 and more than 2 miles is far for them and it's not necessarily a bad thing thing to be a little out of reach from unannounced drop ins.

Do TP or LCC have robotics teams? I know CCA does.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:55 AM

I'd recommend calling the schools, checking API scores, and visiting their web sites. Also call the school district. Both of the high schools I volunteer for have web sites for their robotics teams.

You may even want to take another trip here and visit the campuses. Right now is build season for the robotics teams.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 15,369 times
High Tech High. There is a campus in San Marcos. Its a charter school so free

High Tech High North County

Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
It's not that easy to get in the High Tech schools:

The High Tech High Admissions Process:

High Tech High schools endeavor to accommodate all students who apply for admission; however, because applications for admission exceed the number of spaces available, HTH uses a computerized lottery to determine admission. Spaces are allocated to form a student body that reflects the demographics of the region in which the school is located.

Interested applicants must do the following to apply:

Complete an online application for admission between November 1st and February 28th in order to be entered into the lottery for admission to an HTH school.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:02 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Canyon Crest Academy just won a bunch of robotic competitions in San diego and Southern California. But with that also means stiffer competition to join those groups. If you're child is top notch, go for it. If they are not at that level, they might not even make the team. So there are many things you need to look at about which schools to choose.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Canyon Crest Academy just won a bunch of robotic competitions in San diego and Southern California. But with that also means stiffer competition to join those groups. If you're child is top notch, go for it. If they are not at that level, they might not even make the team. So there are many things you need to look at about which schools to choose.
Every student who wants to participate in the FIRST robotics programs at Poway HS and Rancho Bernardo HS is permitted to. No one is cut from the team. At Poway HS they have JV and varsity teams. Some of the PUSD middle schools even have robotics programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego