Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adham View Post
an MBA is useless unless you get it from the top 10 schools.
Actually I am thinking going back to school for a bachelor in computer science. You think it's too late ? I am 23 now.
Not too late based on your age. Many people start going for a degree even older than you. What's uncertain is what the job market will be for people with that degree in four or so years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 12:49 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,062 times
Quote:
Btw when it comes to Sales, all that matter is if you can sell !!!
yeah but if you're really charismatic and a great sales person, you aren't asking questions on a forum about it. I know a few sales people who could pretty much sell dog crap to people as some high class art work or something. They just have "it" and are not only charismatic but are full of BS that makes sense.

Years ago I was a musician and had my own band, own record label and such and was looking at studios to record. I was asking questions, looking around, etc and one of my buddies was with me just hanging out. He wasn't a musician at all and was more a rap guy than a rock guy. But he hung out with me that day and listened to me ask a bunch of questions to others relevant to what I needed and wanted. Later that night he was talking to some girl about his "musical" talent and such and honestly I was convinced he knew what the hell he was talking about.

Great sales people are the guys who get all the girls, can sell you anything, and so on. Most people aren't close to being that good. And to me as far as real estate goes, most real estate agents are pretty much useless.

I've purchased land and homes over the years and many are the typical, seemed like an easy "get rich quick" kind of job and they weren't really good at anything else or didn't really like working hard to get to that point. So they took some course and started selling real estate. Or they saw some infomercial or attended an event about Flipping a home and figured, they could get better access as an agent.

The good ones are good, but to me I wouldn't call many real estate agents sales people at all. If you've ever bought or sold property or homes you start to find out that many real estate agents are rather lazy and useless. And the really good ones usually get to a point where they would rather just sell the million dollar homes and not bother with the cheaper houses that are hard to sell. Those get thrown the lousy agents way or the rookies way.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM

176 posts, read 299,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
yeah but if you're really charismatic and a great sales person, you aren't asking questions on a forum about it. I know a few sales people who could pretty much sell dog crap to people as some high class art work or something. They just have "it" and are not only charismatic but are full of BS that makes sense.

Years ago I was a musician and had my own band, own record label and such and was looking at studios to record. I was asking questions, looking around, etc and one of my buddies was with me just hanging out. He wasn't a musician at all and was more a rap guy than a rock guy. But he hung out with me that day and listened to me ask a bunch of questions to others relevant to what I needed and wanted. Later that night he was talking to some girl about his "musical" talent and such and honestly I was convinced he knew what the hell he was talking about.

Great sales people are the guys who get all the girls, can sell you anything, and so on. Most people aren't close to being that good. And to me as far as real estate goes, most real estate agents are pretty much useless.

I've purchased land and homes over the years and many are the typical, seemed like an easy "get rich quick" kind of job and they weren't really good at anything else or didn't really like working hard to get to that point. So they took some course and started selling real estate. Or they saw some infomercial or attended an event about Flipping a home and figured, they could get better access as an agent.

The good ones are good, but to me I wouldn't call many real estate agents sales people at all. If you've ever bought or sold property or homes you start to find out that many real estate agents are rather lazy and useless. And the really good ones usually get to a point where they would rather just sell the million dollar homes and not bother with the cheaper houses that are hard to sell. Those get thrown the lousy agents way or the rookies way.
First I asked about this because I wanted to know if such industries exist in SD. There is no point moving to SD if there is only one job opening available and a bunch of people applying for it.

Second I mentioned Sales in general and i gave examples of industries such as finance/real estate.

Third the best sales people are the ones who are Social and Positive. In addition to that it also depends on how well you know your product and how to provide it's benefits in an easy and understandable way to your client. It's definitely not by "talking cool stuff" - your not selling popcorn to little kids rather valued products to professionals. This is the Science era, were not in the 60's anymore. It doesn't have to be "the ones who gets all the girls" - actually the ones who get all the girls are the laziest ones. It's not as you see in Hollywood movies where there is a cool guy who keeps getting laid and making money from selling crap to people.

Forth I didn't get the part about you and your raper friend.

Lastly I am originally from Israel, we are the best salespeople on this planet !!!

Old 02-11-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
First I asked about this because I wanted to know if such industries exist in SD. There is no point moving to SD if there is only one job opening available and a bunch of people applying for it.

Second I mentioned Sales in general and i gave examples of industries such as finance/real estate.

Third the best sales people are the ones who are Social and Positive. In addition to that it also depends on how well you know your product and how to provide it's benefits in an easy and understandable way to your client. It's definitely not by "talking cool stuff" - your not selling popcorn to little kids rather valued products to professionals. This is the Science era, were not in the 60's anymore. It doesn't have to be "the ones who gets all the girls" - actually the ones who get all the girls are the laziest ones. It's not as you see in Hollywood movies where there is a cool guy who keeps getting laid and making money from selling crap to people.

Lastly I am originally from Israel, we are the best salespeople on this planet !!!

Good sales people are good sales people and can sell anything. Yeah there are those that are lazy and will just waste their talents. If you sell software, you're going to have to learn about the software, the company, the competitors, and so on, but if you're good, you're going to be really good. If you aren't very good at sales, it doesn't how much you learn, you won't get the sale.

And a lot of sales in many industries is about networking, dinner parties, cocktail parties, conferences, sporting events, other events, where it's all about getting to know the other person and nothing to do with the product. Many million dollar sales people spend far more time winning over clients and building relationships far more than actually selling a product. That's all about being good at "winning the girl" so to speak. The good ones will work hard at knowing everything about what they are selling. But again, if they can't "win over the girl" they aren't going to sell crap.

As far as San diego and southern California in general, every other "housewife" or "stay at home dad" became a real estate agent over the years. People became flippers. And the market crashed. And then it went up again. The problem you're going to have is you missed the Real Estate rebound. 2008 it crashed, 2009 it sucked, and then it started to come back. Now it's at one of those stand stills. A lot of crappy houses, a lot of flippers, and not much value. You coming in as a newbie are going to have a tough time breaking into the real money. You'd probably have to have another job while you work your way up in Real Estate.

As far as Sales jobs, there are plenty, but there aren't many HQs here. SD is losing a big company, at least here, and a lot of sales people are either moving to texas or losing a job because of it. I honestly don't know much about Qlcm and their sales people. I imagine it's not really a be in San diego kind of thing as they really sell everywhere else, not really in SD.

that will be the challenge you have. San Diego doesn't have a ton of big corporations. So if you go into some Corporate Sales, that really doesn't exist in San diego. Half the people here probably work for some company who is elsewhere. And half the people who work in Sales in San Diego wind up traveling elsewhere to corporate clients.

You can find sales jobs anywhere, but it depends what you're looking for and what kind of career you want or have. San Diego isn't exactly the place where you're going to find some sales job and make millions. And Finance pretty much doesn't exist in San Diego. There are a couple of companies, but I can't imagine you'd be happy or make a ton.

But if you're ok with working on commission only or crappy base salary, good commission for some small company or startup, you'll find jobs. If you're looking for some $100K+ base and huge commission, that's just not happening in SD.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Good sales people are good sales people and can sell anything. Yeah there are those that are lazy and will just waste their talents. If you sell software, you're going to have to learn about the software, the company, the competitors, and so on, but if you're good, you're going to be really good. If you aren't very good at sales, it doesn't how much you learn, you won't get the sale.

And a lot of sales in many industries is about networking, dinner parties, cocktail parties, conferences, sporting events, other events, where it's all about getting to know the other person and nothing to do with the product. Many million dollar sales people spend far more time winning over clients and building relationships far more than actually selling a product. That's all about being good at "winning the girl" so to speak. The good ones will work hard at knowing everything about what they are selling. But again, if they can't "win over the girl" they aren't going to sell crap.

As far as San diego and southern California in general, every other "housewife" or "stay at home dad" became a real estate agent over the years. People became flippers. And the market crashed. And then it went up again. The problem you're going to have is you missed the Real Estate rebound. 2008 it crashed, 2009 it sucked, and then it started to come back. Now it's at one of those stand stills. A lot of crappy houses, a lot of flippers, and not much value. You coming in as a newbie are going to have a tough time breaking into the real money. You'd probably have to have another job while you work your way up in Real Estate.

As far as Sales jobs, there are plenty, but there aren't many HQs here. SD is losing a big company, at least here, and a lot of sales people are either moving to texas or losing a job because of it. I honestly don't know much about Qlcm and their sales people. I imagine it's not really a be in San diego kind of thing as they really sell everywhere else, not really in SD.

that will be the challenge you have. San Diego doesn't have a ton of big corporations. So if you go into some Corporate Sales, that really doesn't exist in San diego. Half the people here probably work for some company who is elsewhere. And half the people who work in Sales in San Diego wind up traveling elsewhere to corporate clients.

You can find sales jobs anywhere, but it depends what you're looking for and what kind of career you want or have. San Diego isn't exactly the place where you're going to find some sales job and make millions. And Finance pretty much doesn't exist in San Diego. There are a couple of companies, but I can't imagine you'd be happy or make a ton.

But if you're ok with working on commission only or crappy base salary, good commission for some small company or startup, you'll find jobs. If you're looking for some $100K+ base and huge commission, that's just not happening in SD.

I am looking for the big Benjamin's baby !!!
Actually I think I am gonna move to Texas. I heard many jobs out there for beginners.
I am not totally a beginner, I did work for two years in different sales jobs, it ain't something I am proud of but at least its something.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM

And I still insist that the ones who get all the girls are mostly lazy dumb asses who end up doing a crappy low class office job or something physical !!! These people are usually living in a dream that they''ll be rich however they don't do anything about it. They think money is just gonna fall on them from the sky while dancing with hot chicks on the beach.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:43 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Quote:
I think you meant, "rapper." A "raper" would be no friend of Pedro's (Correct me if I'm wrong, buddy)!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
And I still insist that the ones who get all the girls are mostly lazy dumb asses who end up doing a crappy low class office job or something physical !!! These people are usually living in a dream that they''ll be rich however they don't do anything about it. They think money is just gonna fall on them from the sky while dancing with hot chicks on the beach.
I can't imagine you've had much success or experience in the corporate or wall street or any of those kinds of sales jobs. Most of what they do has nothing to do with the product. They spend most of their time "getting the girl." It's not about being lazy, it's about winning the client over. And winning the client over rarely has anything to do with the product these days. The good sales people win over the client, develop a relationship with them, and wind up the sales guy who becomes sales director, VP of sales and so on.

Yeah if you want to be some used car salesmen, go ahead. But the guys and gals who make millions in sales or close to it, are the sales person "winning the girls and guys" over lunch, dinner, events, and so on. Contracts, services, and products are bought and sold based off of relationships more than is this product better than the next.

It's not about being lazy, it's about developing relationships and convincing somebody you're the guy or gal and your company is the only place to think of when it comes to Product A or Service A and so on. And it's all about winning the girl.

Hell look at some crappy reality show like Shark Tank. The entire concept is about Winning over other human beings who were successful. And many times a crappy product or service winds up getting money while a better product or service doesn't because of "winning over the girl."

Yeah, if you just want some sales job where you'll make $35K per year, nobody will give a crap. But for the real sales people who make six and seven figures, it's always about "winning the client."

Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
You should definitely have a car if in real estate or sales!!!!! IS that a real question? LOL.
Or, should I say: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, you really DO need a car in so cal to live comfortably and enjoy what the area has to offer, plus for aforementioned job reasons. Also, real estate typically involves RE license and you are on commission anyway, so no one would care or know that you had a degree. It's similar to working at a hair salon, you basically rent out the space [in real estate case: a desk/phone/address and use the company's franchise name for cache] and the company takes a cut. That's the usual way-with online,etc there are additional paths now.

For sales: Depends on what kind of sales as far as the base salary and commission.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
You should definitely have a car if in real estate or sales!!!!! IS that a real question? LOL.
Or, should I say: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, you really DO need a car in so cal to live comfortably and enjoy what the area has to offer, plus for aforementioned job reasons. Also, real estate typically involves RE license and you are on commission anyway, so no one would care or know that you had a degree. It's similar to working at a hair salon, you basically rent out the space [in real estate case: a desk/phone/address and use the company's franchise name for cache] and the company takes a cut. That's the usual way-with online,etc there are additional paths now.

For sales: Depends on what kind of sales as far as the base salary and commission.
I would imagine you need at least a halfway decent car as well. I mean if I were looking at a house that costs $750K and the real estate agent showed up in some beat up 20 year old car, I'd probably run the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: