Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 PM

192 posts, read 251,380 times

Advertisements

So, we are on the hunt to rent a single family home (not buy, long story). Area still TBD - Clairemont (Bay Park, Bay Ho, Mount streets preferred), Serra Mesa, Tierrasanta, University City are the areas we have narrowed down to. I keep coming across listings that will only accept a SMALL dog. Why is that? My 9 year old lab is well trained, mild mannered, and has been an amazing indoor dog. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old and started training her the week I brought her home. I understand maybe not all dog owners are as responsible as me, so I understand when people say "no dogs." But, why do some landlords only allow small dogs? I really don't see what the difference would be. I am calling it "Dog Discrimination." Too bad the pups don't have rights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 02:35 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
A few horrible dog owners and the rest of the population has to suffer.
You would be wise to get her a CGC....Canine Good Citizen certificate. A home owner would be much more ready to rent to you if you can prove your dog is well behaved. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
My family has been in the local landlord business for around 35 years and although we started out being very open to pets, as we always had at least two dogs and two cats when I was growing up, but truthfully you find good rental houses getting horribly damaged by bad pet owners and it ends up costing us thousands to fix everything their pet dog damaged. Even the most bleeding heart landlord only needs that to happen once or twice before they put up a no pets allowed sign.

Sorry, but the irresponsible renters have just ruined it for responsible pet owners and now if you have pets we won't rent to you. This is a business and we just lose too much money to pet damage.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
My family has been in the local landlord business for around 35 years and although we started out being very open to pets, as we always had at least two dogs and two cats when I was growing up, but truthfully you find good rental houses getting horribly damaged by bad pet owners and it ends up costing us thousands to fix everything their pet dog damaged. Even the most bleeding heart landlord only needs that to happen once or twice before they put up a no pets allowed sign.

Sorry, but the irresponsible renters have just ruined it for responsible pet owners and now if you have pets we won't rent to you. This is a business and we just lose too much money to pet damage.

I would readily agree with you! I am a long time pet owner and animal lover, and I would not rent to anyone owning a pet. It is just easier in the long run, with the least headaches.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 PM

192 posts, read 251,380 times
I understand not renting to anyone with pets, but why only small dogs?

And why can't it be on a case by case basis?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post

The thinking (at least from a friend) is that large dogs can cause more damage than a small one. He thinks small dogs are likely to be "house dogs" that are at least somewhat trained while large dogs are not. He's had more trouble with large dog owners who claimed their dogs were trained. In reality, these animals caused extensive damage. He's at the point of either not renting to dog owners anymore or requiring a very large extra security deposit if the renters have a pet.

Your dog may by well be trained. However, Shelbygirl is right. Inconsiderate owners have ruined it for all.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post

That makes sense, small dogs chew just as much as big dogs. Sometimes more so. Small dogs whiz on furniture just as much as cats do.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That makes sense, small dogs chew just as much as big dogs. Sometimes more so. Small dogs whiz on furniture just as much as cats do.
Itty bitty dogs = itty bitty piles and puddles and a lot less ability to destroy screen doors and walls.

We own a very nice Lab, by the way, but he generates enough power to force his whiz straight through a carpet deep into the plywood beneath it...and there would be a lot of it.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:58 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Those big, meat-eating type dogs are a huge liability for apartment owners.

A yapper will maybe scratch your leg......a big, meat-eating dog just may take you down and start ripping stuff off.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Those big, meat-eating type dogs are a huge liability for apartment owners.

A yapper will maybe scratch your leg......a big, meat-eating dog just may take you down and start ripping stuff off.
Size restrictions don't have anything to do with that. Where landlords might be afraid of liability, they have specific breed restrictions.

And little dogs are indeed capable of some extremely nasty bites. Any dog can produce enough jaw pressure to remove chunks of flesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego