U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:14 PM

840 posts, read 400,714 times

Advertisements

A few San Diego police officers have been accused of sexual harassment recently. Here are a few articles about the events:

The San Diego Police Departmentís Broken Record | Voice of San Diego

10News - San Diego police officials: Another officer accused of misconduct, suspended - 10News.com - News

Timeline: SDPD Officers Accused of Sex Crimes | NBC 7 San Diego

SDPD officer investigated for sexual misconduct identified - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

With these and past instances of corruption in the SDPD, do you feel less safe? What do you think can be done to prevent this in the future?

Just curious about your thoughts because it has been all over the local news lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:26 PM

6,943 posts, read 5,106,638 times
Power sex and intimidation. It goes on everywhere. The fact that it goes on in a police department is not surprising a'tall at least to me.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:44 PM

17,414 posts, read 14,051,262 times
The average SD Cop is pretty good at what they do.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:45 PM

3,977 posts, read 2,664,819 times
It's been very ugly for a long time now!
Wait till you see the audit*****smh*****

Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 AM

376 posts, read 909,220 times
Most of the cops are hard working, good people. But not all of them.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 AM

4,511 posts, read 4,147,080 times
I started feeling less safe the day the police killed the guy who was armed with a fishing lure. And right around that time, killed the guy who was simply backing his truck out of its parking place. It's sad, too. I used to work for the Sacramento Sheriff's Department, and I used to think the police were the good guys. These days, I'm not so sure ...

On the other hand, I'd be asking far too much if I expect them remain in perceived danger, given what they're paid.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM

840 posts, read 400,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The average SD Cop is pretty good at what they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
Most of the cops are hard working, good people. But not all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I started feeling less safe the day the police killed the guy who was armed with a fishing lure. And right around that time, killed the guy who was simply backing his truck out of its parking place. It's sad, too. I used to work for the Sacramento Sheriff's Department, and I used to think the police were the good guys. These days, I'm not so sure ...

On the other hand, I'd be asking far too much if I expect them remain in perceived danger, given what they're paid.
Yes, there are many good police officers. There are corrupt people in every area of work. But it seems like the police abuse their authority a lot recently. Look at the LAPD. Remember Christopher Dorner? I understand he was a cop killer and needed to be taken out but shooting at two newspaper delivery women 100 times just because they had the same type of truck as him is crossing the line.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,373,894 times
Have you seen their yelp reviews?
San Diego Police Department - San Diego, CA | Yelp
Yes, the SDPD has yelp reviews. lol. Yelp has taken over the world, I tell ya!

Here are a couple re: the findings about the citizen review board:
Grand Jury Issues Scathing Report On Citizens' Review Board On Police Practices | KPBS San Diego Public Radio & TV: News, Arts & Culture
Rein it in, Citizens Review Board | Voice of San Diego
The Conservative Case for Civilian Review — The American Magazine
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/so...ews1-9722.html

Things ebb and flow, IMO. Corruptions and infractions come to light, and there of course will be people who take advantage of positions of power of any kind in society. Questioning and investigation are the right of citizens, however, regardless of how tough of a job policing is. One can still be appreciate/grateful for the job that officers do, and still question tactics, policy or certain incidents that may be a violation. We don't need the 'rah rah pick a team or side' anymore in this society. It's pervasive in every aspect of life-you are for religion or against it, for dems or repubs, for eating healthy or against it, for the police or against them, etc etc. It's like people get their identity from their team. How often are people offended or defensive 'oh, I think the police do a great job; I wouldn't want to do their job.' True, I agree. BUT, I also agree that certain behaviors may need to be questioned, at certain times. Also, how many have heard ridiculous blanket statements about how bad the police are? Life would indeed be so much easier if we could have set blanket realities for everything! Unfortunately that is not the case, so instead we will need to exercise critical thinking, debates, discussions and other inconvenient things! lol.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-21-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 12:34 PM

17,414 posts, read 14,051,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Yes, there are many good police officers. There are corrupt people in every area of work. But it seems like the police abuse their authority a lot recently. Look at the LAPD. Remember Christopher Dorner? I understand he was a cop killer and needed to be taken out but shooting at two newspaper delivery women 100 times just because they had the same type of truck as him is crossing the line.
My personal opinion is that it has a lot to do with the overall lowering of every standard it takes to become LE now.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:55 PM

849 posts, read 506,055 times
There has been LE corruption around the globe for a long long time. Back on the east coast, there were plenty of towns owned by the mafia and other organizations. It was the police, it was the judges, it was the politicians, it was businesses and more. Sometimes it's not really about good and bad, it's more about many people just tow the line. Or they follow the crowd. Most people are lemmings and they might not do some of the horrible things, but they won't turn those others in. Happens often.

And the LE has the brotherhood/sisterhood thing going where they seem to deny that anybody is a bad seed. You see this happen way to often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego