Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:58 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,577 times

Advertisements

The only con that I think applies to everyone is that housing is outrageous.

Everything else is personal opinion

Old 03-02-2014, 10:02 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Contradictory much?

Threads like this are very subjective. What might be a con to someone is a pro to another.
There are lots of things that are both pros & cons. Immigrants tend to bring both their good habits (work ethic, stronger family values) and their bad ones (lots of litter/trash in some immigrant neighborhoods).

Of course there's a degree of subjectivity...but when you look at the big picture, similar issues come up as pros & cons all the time. E.G. Weather is technically subjective.....but most people prefer San Diego's mild climate over most other areas of the U.S. And nobody likes paying high rents and home prices in an area where median incomes are relatively low.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:38 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post

This and there aren't a lot of high paying jobs to cover the high cost of living. Everything else is pretty much just opinion. While I think there is plenty of culture to be found, some others would disagree. While most people love our mild weather, others think it is "boring".

Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
CONS

Lack of good lighting.
Mission Beach and PB boardwalk is poorly lit.
Our freeways are poorly lit and its more obvious when driving down from LA at night.
There are few parks where one can go to at night feel comfortable.

People dress poorly in San Diego, but this has alot to do with warmer weather and laid back life style.

Pros

I second the craft beer scene and proximity to Tijuana and Los Angeles as PROS. I miss Karl Strauss, Coronado Beer Co, Mission, and St Archer when I leave SD.

I like that San Diego is a border city but has not turned into El Paso, Laredo, or Yuma.

I don't feel like SDPD or SD County Sherrifs are out harassing regular citizens like in other cities that have quotas to meet, excessive speed traps, stealth police cars on patrol, red light cameras, and speed cameras on freeways. I can drive between 70-80 on most freeways without having to worry. I don't feel like we live in fear of our police other than a few bad apples that like to harass women.

All in all, there are way more PROs than CONs which is why I have chosen to stay and raise me family here.

Last edited by malcorub16; 03-02-2014 at 11:31 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
This and there aren't a lot of high paying jobs to cover the high cost of living. Everything else is pretty much just opinion. While I think there is plenty of culture to be found, some others would disagree. While most people love our mild weather, others think it is "boring".

Agree with you 100%. Culture is something different to everyone. High end restaraunts? What does that mean pay 75 dollars for some obscure food that's presented nicely on a plate?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,239 times
Quote:
Agree with you 100%. Culture is something different to everyone. High end restaraunts? What does that mean pay 75 dollars for some obscure food that's presented nicely on a plate?
People just don't know where to look. If you look in places like Mira Mesa and Clairemont you can find Korean cuisine and other Asian eateries.. All the urban areas near downtown like North Park, Kensington and University Heights all have their own character. Anywhere in the South Bay like National City and Chula Vista have a lot of Mexican Food choices. Most people that havent been here too long fall into the trap of Little Italy and think that is it. Places like La Jolla and Carmel Valley on the other hand are plain and boring areas with zero character in my opinion.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:

I like that housing is outrageous to a certain degree. Keeps things in check here like overzealous growth a la Los Angeles or horribly zoned regions of the country like greater Atlanta or central Florida as an example.

The con of that is the middle class can get squeezed pretty hard, especially those trying to raise a family.

Compromises for living here or elsewhere is that my guess is that a good chunk of sensible middle class folks in "Everywhere else USA" that have solid jobs, good schools and a nice sized house wouldnt move here JUST for the sunshine and not get a significant pay raise for the transfer for the equal here. Stability being the key pillar here.

Couples with no kids, singles and any of the above with what I consider decent income (at least one income earner in the household earning over strong 6 figures) will be on the plus side of life here. In that they should be maintaining a positive cash flow and solid financial future.

As mentioned many many times in the boards. Kids are the absolute sink or swim wildcard for many middle income earners that just arrive on these shores. Inheriting a house along the coast in CA etc does not fit into that equation.

Another pro/con would be the almost boring non-seasons and lack of sophistication. Again this can fit into either pro or con.
Having lived in very rich cultural icon cities, you get to see once in a lifetime pieces of art of hear amazing musicians and be with folks that nurture that level of talent or have the drive and ambition via universities or etc. We dont get heavy foot traffic in that sense here from the above.
So the trek up to LA is usually the calling.
It can be brushed off and say 'oh its only a short drive to LA', but to me its no different than someone saying they HAVE to live by the beach, but mention a place to live 20 miles from the coast away and its like living in another country when its really just the same. A short drive away.
Having world class arts within arms reach would be much higher up my list than the beach. But we all have trade offs and its clearly very skin deep.

Life here is great.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
While I haven't spent a ton of time yet at Balboa Park. Im very impressed with it and never seen anything like it in another city and I've been to a lot of these so called high culture cities compared to lack of sophisticate San Diego.

The theatre here has a great reputation, and to have a museum cluster like that surrounded by parks is such a jewel. People here might not utilize it much, but I suspect there is a pretty active group of people who do.

I happened to meet Rex Pickett (author of Sideways) at Whole Foods in Encinitas a month ago. How cool he was signing books.

His play (Sideways) was a huge success at the La Jolla Playhouse...and for him, where the prestige was.

I suspect a lot of people in the SD area just don't know or care to much about what goes on cultural land, but that there is a faction of the population that does and they just probably don't hang out together that much.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
While I haven't spent a ton of time yet at Balboa Park. Im very impressed with it and never seen anything like it in another city and I've been to a lot of these so called high culture cities compared to lack of sophisticate San Diego.

The theatre here has a great reputation, and to have a museum cluster like that surrounded by parks is such a jewel. People here might not utilize it much, but I suspect there is a pretty active group of people who do.

I happened to meet Rex Pickett (author of Sideways) at Whole Foods in Encinitas a month ago. How cool he was signing books.

His play (Sideways) was a huge success at the La Jolla Playhouse...and for him, where the prestige was.

I suspect a lot of people in the SD area just don't know or care to much about what goes on cultural land, but that there is a faction of the population that does and they just probably don't hang out together that much.
Yup this has been my experience having been here for a decade.

Part of the equation is that we really are in a bubble. We arent a suburb of LA as we all know and can be proud of lol

But here in SD, its certainly not a destination for the arts both for the aspiring artist or experienced art enthusiast.
But one clear distinction. There ARE folks here enthusiastic about the arts, without question. The small arts community we do have is financially supportive at the top level via foundations etc.
Its just a smaller ripple here. My wife and I grew up appreciating the arts, she was a professional ballerina and I was an aspiring musician that went to Berklee and toured for a short time. There is NO way either of us would have had the tremendous resources to learn, share and have the slight edge of competition here in San Diego to the same degree. Sure there are always exceptions to that rule, but they are exceptions, not the norm.

But going back to the reference about the ocean and living near it as high up in importance.
I venture to guess many of the folks that live by the ocean enjoy it for different reasons. Just as someone that may live near museums and symphony halls in a major city may not go to every show.
In other words, the coastal population of SD dont all queue up for walks along the beach everyday in unison lol.
Its there and for some they may just want to sit and watch the ocean for others they NEED to be in it. But nonetheless its there to enjoy.

These are all just the finer parts of life and our coastal living is some of the finest if that is an absolute priority... built by nature.
Not too bad living a short drive away from

Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador04 View Post
Diversity, stable economy, relatively low crime, good-looking population, great schools, great beaches, weather, food, proximity to major cities (LA), Phoenix, Tijuana, Las Vegas, and CRAFT BEER.

Lack of big city Metropolis... need more high-end dining
Yea, pretty people and stable economy are also excellent pros that I forgot about.... Pretty people may sound superficial, but I find it is part of an overall aesthetic that adds to quality of life....caring about what you look like is nice, although: SD and CA are not very fashionable places on the whole...Sometimes I feel like I am one step away from da*n pajamas in my everyday attire-lol. Flip Flops and shorts for much/most of the year has its advantages, tho'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego