Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times

Advertisements

Actually, there are quite a number of high rises in Irvine (more than 3)--not only along the 405 ( yikes, who wants to live on a Freeway) but up and down Jamboree.

As for your comment re; Tripadvisor--huge difference between being a Top Contributor vs being selected as a Destination Expert, which I was. Obviously, all my comments re: San Diego are not negative otherwise I would have not been nominated and selected by others for that designation.

Think you exaggerated some of the 'blanket' statements below and/or attributed a comment made by someone else to me.

QUOTE=sdurbanite;34301905]Isn't it just a bit ridiculous to be comparing D

owntown San Diego (1.5 sq. miles) to the entire city of Irvine (66 sq. miles)? If anything, I'd compare it to UTC, with Irvine being much, much larger. Even the highrises in Irvine resemble those in the UTC area in height and appearance. How many condo towers are in Irvine? Two? Three? And none of them are taller than 12 floors I bet.

Highrises don't compare to DTSD

San Diego's tallest buildings - Top 20 | Statistics | EMPORIS

Irvine's tallest buildings - Top 20 | Statistics | EMPORIS

How can you say Irvine in more densely population when it has only 3,200 people per square mile? It's suburbia at its finest! That number applies to most areas in South OC, although it's a much different story for the northern half.

And no one is going to argue about Irvine being the main employment center of OC. You can't help but notice all of the office parks that go on for miles.

Finally, I use Tripadvisor, and it's mostly a great source (Although some of the reviews seems suspicious like Yelp), but it's a travel website that is totally different from City-Data. It's one thing to give hotel recommendations and another to discourage or encourage people with blanket statements, ie, no professionals live in Downtown SD, people in SD can't carry intelligent conversations, it's always 72 degrees and sunny here, etc. But good for you for being a top contributor![/quote]

Last edited by elchevere; 04-10-2014 at 08:43 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post

When I think awesome nature, I think Seattle. People tell me it's there, and coffee is there and a wharf, etc. And then I go to the city and it's all right in my face. I can even drive around and find it by accident. I just didn't feel that in San Diego. I honestly think I'd be lonely for quite some time if I move there. It will def be a stopping point on the way to somewhere else if I do go. But I can see how some people would love it.

If you came on here and said "hey guys, where can I find _____" you'd probably have better luck than coming on here and complaining about how there's no _____ to be found in San Diego.

Last edited by Jenkay; 04-10-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
We get all the anecdotal evidence and what constitutes why one would want to live here or not. Whether that equates to having spent a few days here and actually never having lived here or lived here and had more negative experiences than positive ones. Its all impression and what some see as paradise others will choose to see what doesnt exist here. It only justifies your own wants and needs.

Yay San Diego, Boo San Diego. Its a place to live, just like many other places. No not everyone in the world wants to live here, otherwise they would be already.

Definitely one of the worst compounding threads ever on C-D San Diego. Please end it.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Fair enough and this will be my last post on this thread--unless provoked...however, it's unrealistic for posters who ask for positives and negatives when contemplating a move to a new place only hear positives--no place is perfect......some of us, such as myself, who shared our negative experiences (and not ALL my experiences living here have been negative) did not start this thread, but responded to it...to only provide or hear pluses / positive responses about any city--not just San Diego-- is not a complete picture regardless of one's perception, but I definitely agree with your assessment re: it's a place to live like many other places, etc. etc...

Last edited by elchevere; 04-10-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 11:03 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Fair enough and this will be my last post on this thread--unless provoked...however, it's unrealistic for posters who ask for positives and negatives when contemplating a move to a new place only hear positives--no place is perfect......some of us, such as myself, who shared our negative experiences (and not ALL my experiences living here have been negative) did not start this thread, but responded to it...to only provide or hear pluses / positive responses about any city--not just San Diego-- is not a complete picture regardless of one's perception, but I definitely agree with your assessment re: it's a place to live like many other places, etc. etc...
I don't think anyone has argued that you can't talk about negatives. I had forgotten how I even originally responded to this thread (and others) but I had some negatives too!

I think its just when people are talking about that things that are purely subjective ...and argumentive about it, as if there is an absolute there.

Housing is expensive? yes, definitely can easily be compared by statistics with the rest of the country (obviously not as expensive as SF area but still people seem to agree its expensive here anyway relative to the country)

City is a backwards po dunk with stupid people in it! - not exactly going to stand up to an argument -- and if you want to argue you the po dunk part you have to compare it to other cities of the same size, and understand all of those places are a big city, and perfectly urban enough for a good chunk of people, and too urban for many as well.

getting into culture, arts, etc. is going to be very subjective and depends on so many factors including what people enjoy and who their friends are, or what they pay attention to.

I mean, you have one person saying there was no one at Balboa Park -- boring, tourists, nothing there! Then the rest of us countering that.

Maybe there was no one there the day he was there, I don't know! Who cares? New people and visitors will need to make up their minds themselves.

But we can try to balance some of these things that seem to be simply a very negative attitude about a city, that is undeserved and exaggerated and perhaps clouded.

That is how it comes across.

I don't know why anyone has such a burning desire to prove how lifeless and boring a city is. Just state the viewpoint and move on! Don't attack!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I don't think anyone has argued that you can't talk about negatives. I had forgotten how I even originally responded to this thread (and others) but I had some negatives too!

I think its just when people are talking about that things that are purely subjective ...and argumentive about it, as if there is an absolute there.

Housing is expensive? yes, definitely can easily be compared by statistics with the rest of the country (obviously not as expensive as SF area but still people seem to agree its expensive here anyway relative to the country)

City is a backwards po dunk with stupid people in it! - not exactly going to stand up to an argument -- and if you want to argue you the po dunk part you have to compare it to other cities of the same size, and understand all of those places are a big city, and perfectly urban enough for a good chunk of people, and too urban for many as well.

getting into culture, arts, etc. is going to be very subjective and depends on so many factors including what people enjoy and who their friends are, or what they pay attention to.

I mean, you have one person saying there was no one at Balboa Park -- boring, tourists, nothing there! Then the rest of us countering that.

Maybe there was no one there the day he was there, I don't know! Who cares? New people and visitors will need to make up their minds themselves.

But we can try to balance some of these things that seem to be simply a very negative attitude about a city, that is undeserved and exaggerated and perhaps clouded.

That is how it comes across.

I don't know why anyone has such a burning desire to prove how lifeless and boring a city is. Just state the viewpoint and move on! Don't attack!
Just repped you! Outside of cost of living, everything else is very subjective. You'll find that in every other city as well.

I personally don't understand the arguments that there is no ethnic or racial diversity in the area. I think that is laughable! Have they seen the large Hispanic community in Chula Vista, Spring valley, and National City? Have they seen the fast growing Chaldean community in El Cajon? Areas in and around Clairemont and Mira Mesa have large Asian populations. The urban parts of San Diego like Normal Heights and City Heights are very diverse. If someone comes to San Diego for the first time and only spends time in Mission Valley, Mission Beach and Downtown, they are missing a lot and will leave thinking it "lacks diversity".

Old 04-10-2014, 01:47 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Everyone stay on topic or you will get banned for a few days. No need to argue with one another. Stay on topic or you will get banned from this forum.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:59 PM

5 posts, read 6,010 times
Default Cons

Bringing this back to one of the earlier posts - No intellectual climate. This is a BIG con that ruins an otherwise great place. And by intellectual I don't mean eccentrics in thick-rimmed glasses being deliberately deep or esoteric. I mean, once you want to touch on something other than sports, pop culture, celebrity DJs, or marijuana, you lose your listener. And I mean 'touch on,' not 'rope them into a long-winded discussion about.'

This is why people who vacation in San Diego or spend a summer there after college describe the city as perfect... it's the perfect amount of time to spend there before the lack of depth becomes apparent. There's even a phenomenon I started calling "the stare" which every transplant has understood from the name alone - it's that moment you express anything sardonic, facetious, or lighthearted, and the other person just stares like they await further instructions.

If this matters to you at all, it can ruin your long-term experience there.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:31 PM

135 posts, read 296,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Galaga View Post
Bringing this back to one of the earlier posts - No intellectual climate. This is a BIG con that ruins an otherwise great place. And by intellectual I don't mean eccentrics in thick-rimmed glasses being deliberately deep or esoteric. I mean, once you want to touch on something other than sports, pop culture, celebrity DJs, or marijuana, you lose your listener. And I mean 'touch on,' not 'rope them into a long-winded discussion about.'.
Totally agree with you here, although I got bashed for making a similar point in my main post, which is apparently allowed, so I'll not elaborate any further about your point.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Moderator please lock this thread. There has been a complete lack of civility by some posters (almost all of whom are not even San Diego residents). I have not seen name calling and harsh language like this in the other boards I visit. No one, irrespective of income level, social status, level of attained education -- whatever the reason -- is entitled to engage in childish ad hominem attacks such as the ones I have seen recently. I was very upset by the name calling especially since some of the posters are persons I regularly exchange ideas with. Again, please SHUT THIS DOWN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego