Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 PM

130 posts, read 173,078 times

Advertisements

Hi San Diego-
I left 4 years ago and BOY, do I miss it! (Ok, so I don't miss the 805 traffic--the "slow and go" or the "sleep and creep") but I miss sunshine, laid back attitude and a community that is vibrant and full of arts and culture, and most of all, fresh vegetables.

I moved to Syracuse NY, and now participate on their board...and the people there seem to get REALLY upset when asked (by others from S CA) "what's it like in Syracuse?" and I mention that the people here are larger...alot larger. people go balistic!

Any trip to a crowded place (shopping, a festival of some sort) seems to reveal that the majority of the population smokes and doesn't excersize... Very few people seem happy. (I only seem 2 smiling waitresses in 4 years)

It's a tough economy. Few jobs. It's a sedentary life style (alot of snow) with stores which stock starches and snack foods galore, but have a slim selection of vegetables which are outrageously priced (a tiny bunch of Cilantro--$3. Brocolli on sale, $2.99 lb. 5 little navel oranges: $5...I kid you not.)

It's also weirdly "ist" (homophobic, racist, classist) and I think that's more so than San Diego. But, that's only one opinion...

So, has anyone from Syracuse Ny moved to San Diego...If so, what are your impressions on a comparison of 1.) Mental and Physical Well Being of the Inhabitants (in general), 2.) the Arts and Culture comparison and 3.) and the "isms"...

Old 12-07-2007, 10:59 PM

8 posts, read 20,423 times
I lived is Syracuse, N.Y. But left there when I was young like back in 1962. Haven't been back there since. I lived on Caten Dr. Loved that place back then. I have looked it up on map quest and it isn't the same but hell its been 45 years. We moved from Syracuse to L.A. then down to Oceanside, Now I am in Utah.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:22 PM

786 posts, read 3,924,309 times
When was the last time you shopped for groceries in San Diego? Today one tiny quart of strawberries was $5.99 (and they are grown right HERE in CA!).

Old 12-11-2007, 05:47 PM

130 posts, read 173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fry View Post
I lived is Syracuse, N.Y. But left there when I was young like back in 1962. Haven't been back there since. I lived on Caten Dr. Loved that place back then. I have looked it up on map quest and it isn't the same but hell its been 45 years. We moved from Syracuse to L.A. then down to Oceanside, Now I am in Utah.

here's some weird things I've noticed about "names" for places..

People who USED to live in 'Cuse are... EX-'Cusians

In San Diego, there was "Rancho Penasquitas", which friends always refered to as "Rancho Skin-Your-P*nis"

In Syracuse 'burbs, there is "Chittenango" which is "Sh*t-and-then-Go" (syllabic emphasis on the "then")

(hope these weren't offensive... I know they are a little sophmoric...)

The place has changed a lot since that time, at least according to relatives... I went to look up my cousin's residence..and discovered it's a parking garage at Maxwell School now...

Old 12-24-2007, 03:04 PM

66 posts, read 201,520 times
Wow, those names are horrid! An overall indicator measuring well-being and happiness would be useful, although subjective. I suppose the anger/angst from losing jobs and tax dollars will make many feel sour...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego