Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times

Advertisements

I thought of things that probably only a fellow San Diego native would know or understand. Here is a list. Feel free to add to it!

Having lobsters (and beans and rice) in Ensenada.

You know how funny it is with visitors from outside who go with you to TJ and want to buy the first things they see ...you will see it again sweetie.

Shopping at the discount Pier One off the I-5.

Why there is a Fashion Valley and Mission Valley mall in such close proximity to one another.

You know it was a big deal when they first opened Ikea off the I-15.

The Fry's around Kearny Mesa used to be a weird electronic store before it was taken over.

You really do know the difference between an Albertos, Alibertos, Roberto's, Robertitos, et. al. AND you know way better Mexican places.

You know to park on this side of the border and walk across AND where it is cheapest (or free).

You have a friend who has a friend who lives in TJ and can buy you that...

You know not to go to the zoo on Saturday. Tourists do that.

You remember when downtown was all HHS: homeless, hookers and squids.

You can see people's faces in the planes as they are about to land from the apartments around Banker's Hill/Downtown.

Parts of San DIego have "caliche" that is so hard, you need a jack hammer to move it.

People sometimes write on cars in San Diego or decal them "artsy-like".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:40 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Nah--you just have to have lived here for 30 years! But I was told by real native San Diegans when I first got here that after 7 years you're a Native. So maybe you're right after all? (Do people still say that, BTW? I'll bet they don't!)

Old 03-07-2014, 08:46 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I thought of things that probably only a fellow San Diego native would know or understand. Here is a list. Feel free to add to it!

Having lobsters (and beans and rice) in Ensenada.

You know how funny it is with visitors from outside who go with you to TJ and want to buy the first things they see ...you will see it again sweetie.

Shopping at the discount Pier One off the I-5.

Why there is a Fashion Valley and Mission Valley mall in such close proximity to one another.

You know it was a big deal when they first opened Ikea off the I-15.

The Fry's around Kearny Mesa used to be a weird electronic store before it was taken over.

You really do know the difference between an Albertos, Alibertos, Roberto's, Robertitos, et. al. AND you know way better Mexican places.

You know to park on this side of the border and walk across AND where it is cheapest (or free).

You have a friend who has a friend who lives in TJ and can buy you that...

You know not to go to the zoo on Saturday. Tourists do that.

You remember when downtown was all HHS: homeless, hookers and squids.

You can see people's faces in the planes as they are about to land from the apartments around Banker's Hill/Downtown.

Parts of San DIego have "caliche" that is so hard, you need a jack hammer to move it.

People sometimes write on cars in San Diego or decal them "artsy-like".
OR: You don't really go to the zoo....ever. Been there, done that a zillion times growing up. And you know when or when not to travel to baja peninsula, including ensenada [you remember when it was a no go zone...and when it was fine to go, and back and forth and back and forth...]. You know that you have no interest in buying anything from TJ or tourist kitsch in Rosarito. You also know that Puerto Nuevo is where you used to get the lobster, beans, margaritas, etc. Not Ensenada-and you have not gone for a decade or more anyway b/c, well...been there, done that.] Also: You know that NO ONE knows why they built two malls so close to each other. Note: This addendum to the list references people who were born and raised in SD and have been adults for a couple of decades...not people who have lived here for a couple of decades.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Nah--you just have to have lived here for 30 years! But I was told by real native San Diegans when I first got here that after 7 years you're a Native. So maybe you're right after all? (Do people still say that, BTW? I'll bet they don't!)
I think anyone can think they are a native- people who have been here for 7, 10 or 30 years. I don't think people in SD really care one way or the other-laid back place and all. BUT, to get a real list of 'you know you are a SD native' [vs. the more common: 'You know you're from SD[or whatever city/state] when'....it needs to be info taken from people who were born and raised in SD and still live here, IMO. Not even those here for 10 or 20 years count, as it's the experience of growing up in the area that gives you an impression that cannot be built for someone from elsewhere, even if they came for college and stayed. It's just different, as it would be for anyonee-whether native to a small town, urban hood or wherever their families/peeps and daily life is/was from birth onward. You know and see that place differently, even though it's likely changed, in a completely different way than people who moved there as adults.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
You're several years late to the game: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...iego-when.html

Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
OR: You don't really go to the zoo....ever. Been there, done that a zillion times growing up. And you know when or when not to travel to baja peninsula, including ensenada [you remember when it was a no go zone...and when it was fine to go, and back and forth and back and forth...]. You know that you have no interest in buying anything from TJ or tourist kitsch in Rosarito. You also know that Puerto Nuevo is where you used to get the lobster, beans, margaritas, etc. Not Ensenada-and you have not gone for a decade or more anyway b/c, well...been there, done that.] Also: You know that NO ONE knows why they built two malls so close to each other. Note: This addendum to the list references people who were born and raised in SD and have been adults for a couple of decades...not people who have lived here for a couple of decades.
I go to the zoo all the time, actually. And I buy things at the Mercado Hidalgo in TJ pretty frequently, too. But I'm totally with you on the mall thing

(Been here 40 years, thankyouverymuch)

Old 03-07-2014, 02:33 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I go to the zoo all the time, actually.
(Been here 40 years, thankyouverymuch)
I stopped going to the zoo when they raised the prices from $1 for adults and kids under 16 free.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:49 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I stopped going to the zoo when they raised the prices from $1 for adults and kids under 16 free.
So that was what, 1965?

My annual pass was about $130, and I go at least 10 times a year, plus I pretty much always bring someone with me (diamond club renewal membership) so that's 24 admissions = $5.42 per. That's like 1975 prices

It's super-worth it since there always seem to be people visiting.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
You're several years late to the game: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...iego-when.html
+1 Yup that thread covered it all pretty much

Its not how many years, its what you did in the years you were anywhere.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
That is correct. I have to say too that with all of the incredible Mexican joints in San Diego county, I think it's not worth the gas to tiny Puerto Nuevo. Heck, pay an extra ten bucks and eat that stuff here! And you won't have to buy insurance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego