Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:41 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
I know I was comparing SDrestaurant scene to dog food.
Yea, and I also don't consider that area of SD to have very good food anyway, SD food scene aside. Food court at horton plaza? spaghetti factory? geesh. I don't know why people think downtown SD is a happening place.

Hillcrest has a ton of good restaurants. PB has a couple, and Kensington village has a few really nice choices, too. [The Bleu Boheme is really fun/french bistro-esque!] South Park is another option. My current favorite place though, is Sbicca in Del Mar. Ocean view, their happy hour 'food' is unbelievable in terms of price/value to quality-half off their meals/tapas menu. Really great food, kind of a local gem. It was just voted, apparently, 'best first date place' by some survey or magazine. Great staff, location. My other favorite place is Sake House, a 'japanese tapas' joint in encinitas/leucadia. Tiny place, always packed. Tons of sake choices, amazing food [not that much sushi though] and it's the real deal. Authentic. You get a show when you order the sake flight-the gal tells you the story behind them all. They just opened a second place in Hillcrest I think last year. I haven't been to that location yet. I've not been impressed with meals downtown or in Little Italy, etc myself. Even the best gelato I had was in La Jolla. Coronado has worthy options, as well. It's of course all somewhat subjective, as they say. But SD is not a food mecca, that's for sure. In my 11 years here, I've had many of what my spouse and I call 'another mediocre $40 meal'. Only a few really good meals at any price range. Sbicca and Sake House consistently rank, though, and are not 'mediocre'. They're actually 'really good'. (:

Anyway, Happy early Birthday and enjoy wherever your final destination may be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 PM

257 posts, read 491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Yea, and I also don't consider that area of SD to have very good food anyway, SD food scene aside. Food court at horton plaza? spaghetti factory? geesh. I don't know why people think downtown SD is a happening place.

Hillcrest has a ton of good restaurants. PB has a couple, and Kensington village has a few really nice choices, too. [The Bleu Boheme is really fun/french bistro-esque!] South Park is another option. My current favorite place though, is Sbicca in Del Mar. Ocean view, their happy hour 'food' is unbelievable in terms of price/value to quality-half off their meals/tapas menu. Really great food, kind of a local gem. It was just voted, apparently, 'best first date place' by some survey or magazine. Great staff, location. My other favorite place is Sake House, a 'japanese tapas' joint in encinitas/leucadia. Tiny place, always packed. Tons of sake choices, amazing food [not that much sushi though] and it's the real deal. Authentic. You get a show when you order the sake flight-the gal tells you the story behind them all. They just opened a second place in Hillcrest I think last year. I haven't been to that location yet. I've not been impressed with meals downtown or in Little Italy, etc myself. Even the best gelato I had was in La Jolla. Coronado has worthy options, as well. It's of course all somewhat subjective, as they say. But SD is not a food mecca, that's for sure. In my 11 years here, I've had many of what my spouse and I call 'another mediocre $40 meal'. Only a few really good meals at any price range. Sbicca and Sake House consistently rank, though, and are not 'mediocre'. They're actually 'really good'. (:

Thanks for the info! Duly noted. Any recommendations in la jolla or Kensington?
Hillcrest seem like the most restaurant dense area.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Irma, I am beginning to have an affinity for you. What is your story? Care to share? PM me. I'm not a giant Prik Pad Thai as everybody makes me out to be on here.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Da Mr. Voice of reason! Thanks.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Irma, I am beginning to have an affinity for you. What is your story? Care to share? PM me. I'm not a giant Prik Pad Thai as I make myself out to be on here.
Fixed that for you ...

Old 03-09-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Fixed that for you ...
Many Thanks, xoxo.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
I find most of the restaurants in the Gas Lamp to be over priced tourist traps run by companies like the Cohen Group which is known for mediocre food (often just rewarmed Sysco stuff) and high prices. There are a few gems but most of the better restaurants which the locals go to are located outside of the gas lamp.

If you want real debate and recommendations on restaurants in San Diego then try chowhound.com's San Diego subforum.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I find most of the restaurants in the Gas Lamp to be over priced tourist traps run by companies like the Cohen Group which is known for mediocre food (often just rewarmed Sysco stuff) and high prices. There are a few gems but most of the better restaurants which the locals go to are located outside of the gas lamp.

If you want real debate and recommendations on restaurants in San Diego then try chowhound.com's San Diego subforum.
I know there's a lot of restaurants in Hillcrest. What about South Park?

Old 03-09-2014, 01:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
I know there's a lot of restaurants in Hillcrest. What about South Park?
South Park isnt all that big. In terms of any kind of shopping its pretty much concentrated around Fern and Juniper and Fern and Ash. With Fern being the main drag.

There are no 'secret' spots that yelp doesnt have.

South park South Park, San Diego, CA

As far as downtown, there really are tons of restaurants. We have always liked Candelas on 3rd and J.
When we lived down there, we would try out just about all of them, but nothing particularly stood out. Not bad in the least but also no standouts.

Out of all the core neighborhoods it probably has the most choices for restaurants but also the least to offend.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
South Park isnt all that big. In terms of any kind of shopping its pretty much concentrated around Fern and Juniper and Fern and Ash. With Fern being the main drag.

There are no 'secret' spots that yelp doesnt have.

South park South Park, San Diego, CA

As far as downtown, there really are tons of restaurants. We have always liked Candelas on 3rd and J.
When we lived down there, we would try out just about all of them, but nothing particularly stood out. Not bad in the least but also no standouts.

Out of all the core neighborhoods it probably has the most choices for restaurants but also the least to offend.
Wow SP is tiny. I didn't realize population is only 5k. I was gonna look at some commercial spaces there. Does SP draw people from other surrounding neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego