Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,720 times

Advertisements

Hello All !
I am a 28 year old single girl having my dream come true ! I just got a new job ( which i absolutley love ) and was offered a position which requires moving to san Diego.
I have never been to San Diego, but it has been a dream of mine to move down there... My jobs territory will be between SD and LA with occasional trips to SF and Seattle ( which my job would fly me for )
Im looking to live on the northern end of SD, preferably on the coast so the beach is close by... Im also coming from Brooklyn Heights in new york so am use to having access to anything at any time of the day and night lol food, bars, restraunts, you name it... in an ideal world i would love to have that again ! So i wouldnt want to live necessarily in the city, but somewhere close by, in an apartment complex or town house or high rise... Also im looking to keep the rent reasonably priced if possible. no more then $1300 monthly. this seems like alot to ask for ?

Its just going to be me and Dylan ( my dog ) moving down there so im hoping to meet some awesome people along the way
Any input you guys have would be soooooo appreciated ! Im coming down the 20th of march for just a week. ill be staying in pacific beach and down town san diego.. i figure that will be a good time to explore the areas and make a decision. Any suggestions on areas to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,571,214 times
Compared to New York, San Diego housing will be more affordable, and you'll get more for your money. But that's not saying much, since San Francisco and New York City are the two most expensive places to live in the United States.

Doable on the San Diego coast? Possibly. I think waterfront or Pacific Ocean view may be much higher, but a couple blocks from the beach, I think you can score a reasonable place.

Finally, you have several things working in your favor. If you don't have a family and don't have kids, that is a huge, huge plus. California's economic climate and tax structure is particularly unfavorable to middle class families, and many young families leave here in search of superior economic opportunities.

But if it's just you, you can score a more compact place that is nicely furnished, saving a lot of money. Also, you don't have to worry about school quality, another big benefit. I think it definitely can work.

As for areas, Del Mar, Encinitas and Carlsbad can be really nice, same with Solana Beach. They may be a bit more than your stated target rent, however, you have lots of flexibility and you may be able to get something. Ideal would be someone with a nice beach house and they have a room to rent.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,063,598 times
Rent at #1,300.00 will be a very hard find. Rents are typically not under $1,500.00 and nearer the coast more. Check some sites for rentals etc. North coast is going to be uber sleepy compared to NY and even downtown SD is going to be blah. It is go til about 10pm and later on weekends but n o t h i n g compared to your current location. Laid back beechi and Cali. Fast food at midnight is your refrigerator....in any case congrats! enjoy the ride. =)

Old 03-10-2014, 09:17 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,064,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshalfi View Post
Hello All !
I am a 28 year old single girl having my dream come true ! I just got a new job ( which i absolutley love ) and was offered a position which requires moving to san Diego.
I have never been to San Diego, but it has been a dream of mine to move down there... My jobs territory will be between SD and LA with occasional trips to SF and Seattle ( which my job would fly me for )
Im looking to live on the northern end of SD, preferably on the coast so the beach is close by... Im also coming from Brooklyn Heights in new york so am use to having access to anything at any time of the day and night lol food, bars, restraunts, you name it... in an ideal world i would love to have that again ! So i wouldnt want to live necessarily in the city, but somewhere close by, in an apartment complex or town house or high rise... Also im looking to keep the rent reasonably priced if possible. no more then $1300 monthly. this seems like alot to ask for ?

Its just going to be me and Dylan ( my dog ) moving down there so im hoping to meet some awesome people along the way
Any input you guys have would be soooooo appreciated ! Im coming down the 20th of march for just a week. ill be staying in pacific beach and down town san diego.. i figure that will be a good time to explore the areas and make a decision. Any suggestions on areas to check out?
You won't find 24/7 like in NYC.
Also, SD is a series of spread out suburbs...It's not very urban. The pictures you see of the skyline is just one small area of the city/county. There are a few central urban areas, but they are not on the coast.
Downtown or central SD is not 'THE' hub; SD has regional areas that have all amenities-so most people do not need to drive to a central place for everything.

North county coastal is a fantastic area of the city/county, though, so that is a great choice on your part.
Encinitas and possibly Solana Beach are your best bets there. Google dog parks in SD and also dog friendly beaches [some beaches do not allow dogs-not sure about Encinitas; but nearby Del Mar's beach is dog friendly]. $1300 is low for encinitas, but I think with determination you could find a one bedroom apartment and maybe a condo. Townhomes are typically 2 or more bedrooms.

There are VERY FEW high rises in San Diego!
I'm not sure why people move here from large metro areas that are densely populated urban cities and expect the same in SD. LOL. Have you checked the population of SD by any chance? 1.5 million, with 3.5 in the entire county. You are moving from one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world, to a very nice medium sized city [some may consider it large, but it will feel quite small and less cosmopolitan than NYC, even though SD is diverse.] It's a very laid back place, live and let live mindset. But it's not very vibrant, really, and everything is kind of 'nice', 'pleasant', 'fine'-from restaurants to the arts, etc. It's rated one of the best cities to raise a family and ranks low on the violent crime index for larger cities. So, it's a pretty safe, clean and calm place. This can translate to a bit boring, slow and less sophisticated city, to some people.

You'll need to visit LA to get more of the amenities you are used to in NYC, as far as larger metro area with places open 24/7 and bustling. SD is mellow in comparison. SD is also almost passive aggressive in communication, vs. the more forthright NYC/east coast style. SD is a very friendly on the surface/superficially place, but also lacks intellectual depth, in conversations or otherwise (This is a big one: It's also mentioned to people moving from San Francisco or any cities north-that it's not an intellectual city at all. Some people don't realize that they are used to having this and it's kind of a surprise. Other people are so happy to have the sunshine, beaches and laid back, that the trade off is worth it, for awhile or longer.]

The cultural norm is to have a 'pleasant exchange' and not be confrontational at all. In fact, I have occasionally wished that someone would get a bit irritated or worked up about something here sometimes. [I'm originally from MA]. It's just not done here, for the most part. You work things out or simply don't get into conflict period. It's very 'nice'.

You won't find high rises in Encinitas. UTC/La Jolla is probably the closest where you could find that-many UCSD students live in that area. Downtown Encinitas, on the historic 101, has some newer loft type places above residential. I think that your budget may be too low for that, but it's may be worth checking out. Otherwise, you'll most likely be looking at an older [70's-80's probably] apartment complex, maybe with W/D in unit and probably with a pool and possibly tennis courts. Basic, no frills. Suburban is the standard here, but you get to enjoy clean, easily accessible beaches and sunshine nearly year round.

SD is a very nice city; it's desirable for a reason. But it is not NYC and your lifestyle will be quite different here.
The great thing is: You get to travel to Seattle, San Francisco, OC, etc. That will give a little more sophistication and mix things up a little in terms of atmosphere. Plus, the northern cities are more densely populated, eclectic urban neighborhoods and architecture and more vibrant overall.

I think you'll be happiest in SD by embracing a completely different concept of day to day life. 'Go native', as I always say-lol. It's just very different.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Hello All !

I also want to add that downtown SD is not very large and, while it now has some residential and amenities, typically it has a few clubs [that many military young guys and others party at] and some restaurants that tourists go to. Tourists seem to think that visiting downtown SD is a must. But there's really nothing historic about it and there's not much to do. Example: many restaurants or businesses have recently 'added' a downtown location. But that is in the last 10 years, when the area has revitalized the most. Otherwise, it was pretty run down in recent decades with just a few blocks of anything going on.

Most people in SD do not commute downtown for work, as another example. [Very few, really]. Little Italy is often touted as a must stop, and it's true that it now has a few newer restaurants and cafes. But it is still mainly really mediocre, overpriced italian restaurants that cater to tourists. The best array of high quality restaurants in SD are in the central urban areas of Hillcrest, South Park, Kensington and North Park. [There are areas you may want to check out for living, btw. They are about 20 minutes from beaches-an easy drive.] You may especially like South Park and Kensington, from reading your post.

And a word about Pacific Beach: It's a hard core party place, lots of tattoo shops and tanning salons. It used to have more balance as far as a bunch of yoga studios and a bit of a bohemian vibe and some families. There is still some mix, but overall it's pretty seedy and strong party scene of younger folks [not professionals] and a bunch of bars for excessive drinking. The pier is a common spot for tourists to check out. The beach is nice and the boardwalk is fun to check out, but there are other beaches that are more beautiful in SD. PB is fun to visit and check out at least once, but there's not really much to specifically 'go there for'.

I would not recommend that you live in PB proper. [too loud and party oriented-it extends to the housing and most neighborhoods.] North PB [also called Birdrock] is very nice, though, and you might like that.

The other big reason that I wanted to mention PB is: The commute! Getting in and out of PB is rough all the time, b/c there's just one road in and out and lots of people using it. Encinitas, Solana Beach and Del Mar are right off the 5 freeway, so they are much easier to access. With PB, you sometimes add 20 minutes to your commute, and not just in rush hour, just getting to the freeway. Birdrock is further towards La Jolla and will take at least 20 min. if not longer, on most days.

My opinion is to check out UTC [further inland from La Jolla but has a whole foods, trader joe's and a bunch of amenities for the college students-mostly chain restaurants, though-be warned! ] and especially Encinitas and Solana Beach.

For living somewhere near 'downtown', based on your criteria, South Park and Kensington are recommended to scout out. They can be from 10-20 minutes drive from either downtown or beaches, depending on traffic-you can take side streets, too. [Though, unless your particular job takes you downtown, you probably won't go there very often] There are some good dog parks in those areas, as well. Remember to google dog friendly beaches and parks in SD to get the low down.

If you ever decide to look in OC for living, Laguna Beach is fantastic, btw.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Rent at #1,300.00 will be a very hard find. Rents are typically not under $1,500.00 and nearer the coast more. Check some sites for rentals etc. North coast is going to be uber sleepy compared to NY and even downtown SD is going to be blah. It is go til about 10pm and later on weekends but n o t h i n g compared to your current location. Laid back beechi and Cali. Fast food at midnight is your refrigerator....in any case congrats! enjoy the ride. =)
So true! LOL. Well put.
[I think there are a few burger fast food places open until midnight, but not usually past then. Hey, there are a few 24/7 taco shops, to be fair! You'll probably have to drive 20 minutes to get to them, of course. But they are there.]

Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,897,331 times
Quote:
Hello All !

You're going to find north county a heck of a lot more suburban than NYC but if you can live with that then you'll find there are lots of positive trade offs including a much better quality of life, lower housing costs (still higher than most of the country but much cheaper than NYC), and still an active social and dinning scene. That said, the county only has 3 million people in it while greater NYC is close to 20 million so it won't be nearly as active though, if you look for it, you can still find most things you're looking for though the scale will be smaller. San Diego itself, compared to north county, will have much more in the way of night life, dating scene, 24 hour restaurants, etc... While north county is more quiet with married couples with two kids and a dog dominating the scene. You'll have to take that into account while deciding where to live.

Best of luck.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:00 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,897,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
So true! LOL. Well put.
[I think there are a few burger fast food places open until midnight, but not usually past then. Hey, there are a few 24/7 taco shops, to be fair! You'll probably have to drive 20 minutes to get to them, of course. But they are there.]
Just about every fast food place is open 24/7 now days as are all drive through taco places though the good pizza places don't stay open past 2am and most of them close at midnight. Other than that it's just diners for 24/7 operations. Though no one has to drive 20 minutes to find one unless they live in BFE. Hell, even in darkest suburbia (places like Mira Mesa or Clairemont) you'll find one every block or two.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,910,435 times
It's a different kind of city. If you can accept that, you'll love it. If you want to re-create what you had in NYC, you'll probably hate it. I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego